HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Help!
Model Stinson Reliant restoration

My brother and I found this large model Stinson in a trailer. The guy said that he didn't want it so he just gave it to us. This is awesome, but the only problem is we have only worked on small balsa wood Guillows and Dummas models. This model appears to be made out of some metal tubing souldered and glues together, but the wings are mostly wood. The other problem is it is 5 times bigger than anything we have worked on before and have no idea where to even begin. Any drawings would be great, especially for wings because we need to make flaps. Pointers, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated!
joemtz488 is offline Find More Posts by joemtz488
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
There was a Doctor in Olean New York, that started something like that in the '80's

He finished several models, the got sick,and we lost contact.

I flew at The STARS rallys there about that time..Don Godfrey had a large Stearman, and Dave Landvater had the hottest Pitts I had ever seen.

I'd be interested if this was one of the good Doctor's.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,550 Posts
The only detailed scale drawings of the Reliant I know of were those done by William Wylam, which appeared in Model Airplane News, 1950's. Possibly your model is based upon them? Air Age still markets them, IIRC. If not, I have them in booklet form and would be happy to make them avaiable.
charlie
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
I have no idea what the story is behind it. It was at out airport in eastern Ohio. We are also going to try to fix it up and restore it. Do you have any idea what the doctor used to put it all together because after a closer look, it looks more like some type of glue, not solder.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:30 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Charlie, that would be awesome! I have looked everywhere trying to find any drawings, especially for the wings.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
A different view

I have beaucoup pictures ,and I live 20 miles from two,in the same museum.

There's a good chance the assembly was done with industrial epoxy-although I have no way of knowing.

Top Flite has a 101" model-maybe someone could help with those plans.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,550 Posts
Send me your snail mail address via private message and i will send them along.
charlie
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
Atta boy, Charlie.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:36 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemtz488 View Post
I have no idea what the story is behind it. It was at out airport in eastern Ohio. We are also going to try to fix it up and restore it. Do you have any idea what the doctor used to put it all together because after a closer look, it looks more like some type of glue, not solder.
Hi there Joe, as you have not stated what metal the tubing is, if the glue is grey colored, it could be plastic steel (this is a form of epoxy), or do you ever remember seeing an ad many years ago, with a car glued to the side of a building?....I can't remember the brand of that glue, it also was grey in color and obviously glued metal to other surfaces.

I am sure there are others here that can help with the brand of glue where the car was glued to the side of the building. Not sure if that brand is still available.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,550 Posts
joemtz488,

I;ve got several pages of hard copies from Wylam scale drawings booklet waiting for a street address to send them to. I'm not able to scan and email. Still interested?
charlie
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:05 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
PM sent...I can do whatever to help out. Really an awesome find! What is the size of your bird?

The plane looks as though it is built in a very scale-like fashion. True to the full sized plane. This is interesting, but rebuilding/refurbing the plane must be approached seriously. The more like a full scale a plane is, the more similar the maintenance is to a full scale. Every joint should be properlly inspected. I am sure you guys are up for the challenge!!!!

I assume no leading edge? No cowl? Any evidence which would indicate that it was covered at one time?
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Last edited by 4075aaron; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Sackie,
I am not sure what metal the tubing is. It looks like it is copper, but I am not sure how to test this theory. Thanks for the help though! I'll have to look into it!

Aaron,
We are definately up for the challenge! There is no leading edge, and after closer inspection, there are some small cracks in the ribs. There was no cowl, and I am stumped as to what I should do about the cowl. Making one is definately not an option, so I think that I will use a similar cowl from a different plane. Also, as far as I can tell, it has never been covered, the fuselage isn't complete as it is missing 3 of the 4 pieces that connect the wing to the fuselage.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
If it is 25% as I suspect, Fiberglass Specialties would have a cowl that will work (as well as other hard to fabricate parts). Is there a center wing section?

Also...they have 20% parts...just FYI!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Last edited by 4075aaron; Jan 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added info about 1/4 scale parts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,955 Posts
Some information that may help...I attended the 'Stars Rallye' in Olean,New York..That ain't far to transport that airplane to Ohio.
If any one has the IMAA magazines from the early eighties,there were a couple of write ups about the good Doctor.
We visited his home one evening,and a fuselage such as yours was hanging from the rafters in his barn.
This was a Giant Scale fly-in in the Imaa's infancy,and his article was interesting.
Stars was short for "Southern Tier something, something, something.
My memory fails me,as you can see.They flew at the Olean Municipal Airport.
If this was his aircraft, there should be a wealth of information available from those members in the area.
RCG Plus Member