HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:00 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
Yes, props are meant to be sharp but I've cut myself more on MAS props when flipping a diesel, they really do have to be deburred. The available sizes and their performance in the air is what speaks for APC.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Jun 2004
81 Posts
Does anyone have expereince with the 6X3 and 6X4 Zinger props on a throttled Cox Medallion?
thanks.
Pierre_de’ Loop is offline Find More Posts by Pierre_de’ Loop
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:21 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Not throttled, but a 6x3 wooden Zinger sucked the life out of my RR1. A Medallion would probably fare better.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
145 Posts
I am not a fan at all of wood props smaller than 8". They are just too draggy on small engines.

I really wish the old topflite nylons were still around. I loved those props!
Gooroo is online now Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:13 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
The Rev-up props (found at Brodak) are much better than the Zinger ones, those are simply too thick a makes for a very high load. The 7x3.5 by Rev-up is very nice (not for .049 but for .09) and very similar to the now very hard to find cox one.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
194 Posts
I really wish the old topflite nylons were still around. I loved those props![/QUOTE]

Me too. Had I known they'd one day be unavailable, I'd have stocked up. Guess I can say that about a lot of things....
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,229 Posts
It seems a lot got lost or done away with when Top Flite got sucked up by Tower.

How about Grish Bros/Tornado props? As a kid I had good luck with them but they're gone now too.
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
I have a pile of new Tornadoes. I tried one on my Norvel Big Mig. It had been running a Master Airscrew 6x3 right around 20k RPMs on the test bench, and with the Tornado 6x3 it only ran in the high 16s. I was amazed at the dropoff. It was balanced and really flexible, so I thought it would be faster with its smaller airfoil.
I have not tried one since, but I have a few different sizes, so I'll take another look.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Jun 2004
81 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input.

Surfer_kris, the Rev-up propellers at the Brodack site are exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks for the direction.

I was about to order some Zingers for an upcoming 1/2A project, but after looking at an 8X4 Zinger I had in my propeller jar I agree that they look too thick. And the APC propellers are too sharp for me. I don’t mind them on my electric motors, but that’s because I’m not in front of them when they start!

Re: Top Flite – I could not agree more – they seem to exist in name only today.
Pierre_de’ Loop is offline Find More Posts by Pierre_de’ Loop