HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:52 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
Is there a formal definition of "aerobatic" plane. Would any plane be prohibitted from competing because it is not considered to be "aerobatic"? (Just as the spellchecker here doesn't like the doubling of a consonant t, that is a standard practice in certain places of the world.)

Or is it judged on the required aerobatics? If I can do the required aerobatic forms in a 70 inch Sparrow Hawk, would that be allowed?
I am not an IMAC-er but my understanding is that the plane must be a scale version of a real full size acrobatic plane, like a Pitts Special, Extra, Slick, etc.
Since pattern planes only exist in RC, they would not be allowed. However, in the basic beginning class, you can fly anything. Maybe not a helicopter. Or, a quad.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, OH, Gahanna
Joined Aug 2003
17 Posts
"Your call. IMHO if you can afford to fly, you can afford to fly IMAC. "

Yes if its novice. But, if you plan to stay in it and progress - it gets expensive. This is the trouble with both AMA and IMAC and why so few new people go into it.
RCPAUL is offline Find More Posts by RCPAUL
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
281 Posts
The wording in the IMAC rules about legal airplanes is that the airplane has to have flown or would be capable of flying aerobatics in an official aerobatic box. So let's use a P-51 as example. It is capable of being set up to perform most maneuvers in the basic and sportsman sequences however the full scale is too fast and heavy to be able to stay in the box thus would not be legal. A Citabria, Cessna 150, Spacewalker would all be legal but would not be competitive. Show up with ANY airplane and you are fine for basic class. Should you want to progress to the more advanced classes, you will do so with a better suited airplane. Those who really want to compete will find a way to make it happen. If you would like to compete buy don't because of cost then it's just not in your value system of not not a priority. No problem with that, as we all have to balance family and hobby.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:59 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
The wording in the IMAC rules about legal airplanes is that the airplane has to have flown or would be capable of flying aerobatics in an official aerobatic box. So let's use a P-51 as example. It is capable of being set up to perform most maneuvers in the basic and sportsman sequences however the full scale is too fast and heavy to be able to stay in the box thus would not be legal. A Citabria, Cessna 150, Spacewalker would all be legal but would not be competitive. Show up with ANY airplane and you are fine for basic class. Should you want to progress to the more advanced classes, you will do so with a better suited airplane. Those who really want to compete will find a way to make it happen. If you would like to compete buy don't because of cost then it's just not in your value system of not not a priority. No problem with that, as we all have to balance family and hobby.
There are people who would like to compete in acrobatics, but do not want the level of commitment that competitive IMAC requires. Like me.

You can compete in automobile racing of many kinds without going so far as to field a NASCAR or GP team, or devoting your life to it.

It's cool, but it ain't that cool
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
There are people who would like to compete in acrobatics, but do not want the level of commitment that competitive IMAC requires. Like me.

You can compete in automobile racing of many kinds without going so far as to field a NASCAR or GP team, or devoting your life to it.

It's cool, but it ain't that cool

So what are you saying? You would like to compete but not put any effort into it? Have you thought about Classic pattern? You could put together a Kaos .46 for less then 500.00. You can put together a 1.20 size Extra for not much more. Any competition is going to reward you with whatever you put into it. I have seen guys fly basic class with less then 1K invested in airplane for years and have fun doing it. I'm just at a loss as to what point you are trying to make. Just because you take up IMAC does not mean you have to keep at it until you reach unlimited level, or pattern to the FAI level. You stay at the level and equipment costs that best suits you. Lets keep on track here and compare apples to apples. Car racing is about a million times more popular then airplane flying. When was the last time you saw model airplanes on ESPN?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
So what are you saying? You would like to compete but not put any effort into it? Have you thought about Classic pattern? You could put together a Kaos .46 for less then 500.00. You can put together a 1.20 size Extra for not much more. Any competition is going to reward you with whatever you put into it. I have seen guys fly basic class with less then 1K invested in airplane for years and have fun doing it. I'm just at a loss as to what point you are trying to make. Just because you take up IMAC does not mean you have to keep at it until you reach unlimited level, or pattern to the FAI level. You stay at the level and equipment costs that best suits you. Lets keep on track here and compare apples to apples. Car racing is about a million times more popular then airplane flying. When was the last time you saw model airplanes on ESPN?
Read RCPaul's message above. That's about all I have to say.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
281 Posts
Cloud, how is this different then any other sport? If you truly want to be competitive then you have to pay the price in both equipment and time. There is just no way around that but I do think you are exaggerating the situation some. I don't have the practice time that I used to have and only fly one or two contests a year. Not enough to justify flying a 40% airplane so I downsized to 50cc. Last contest I flew, I took 4th place in unlimited. I had less then 1,200 invested in that airplane. My current airplane is an upgraded version of that 50cc Laser but still have about the same invested. Point is that you really don't need to spend 5K to be competitive. Getting the airplane correctly trimmed and spending the time practicing is far more valuable then dumping a bunch cash in a big airplane.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:16 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
perhaps so.

Thanks
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:41 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,184 Posts
Quote:
...Just because you take up IMAC does not mean you have to keep at it until you reach unlimited level... You stay at the level and equipment costs that best suits you.
Agreed. It may cost more to advance into Sportsman and beyond. This does not prevent you from trying Basic.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
281 Posts
My point exactly. If you went and gave basic a try and was hooked then by the end of the season you could have a nice 30cc airplane that would do well in Sportsman. IMO you really don't get enough advantage to buying a 35% or 40% airplane until intermediate. At least 50% of the guys that take up IMAC get stalled there and don't progress up to advanced or unlimited because of equipment costs and time commitment for practice. My guesstimate is there are maybe 125 to 150 unlimited pilots in the country. But you don't need to be one of them to have a great time. For me it was a way to improve my flying and gain self satisfaction.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:55 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
942 Posts
A slightly different question. What is a good 70 inch wingspan plane, to start to seriously practice aerobatics?
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Imac

IMAC is a scale aerobatics competition. That uses scale aerobatic aircraft to fly aerobatic sequences in the same fashion as there full scale counterparts.
You don't need the latest and perceived greatest aircraft to be competitive. You just need to have a plane that is capable of flying the sequence smooth and precise. (Precision Aerobatics is the Key).
The other component is Practice, Practice, Practice, and more Practice.
There are other competitions that are suited to a $300.00 sport plane, and I believe some of the pattern contests have an "Old School" class that looks to be a low cost way to some fun competition.
Good luck, and go practice it will make you a better pilot.

TW
Motopilot260 is offline Find More Posts by Motopilot260
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:52 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopilot260 View Post
IMAC is a scale aerobatics competition. That uses scale aerobatic aircraft to fly aerobatic sequences in the same fashion as there full scale counterparts.
You don't need the latest and perceived greatest aircraft to be competitive. You just need to have a plane that is capable of flying the sequence smooth and precise. (Precision Aerobatics is the Key).
The other component is Practice, Practice, Practice, and more Practice.
There are other competitions that are suited to a $300.00 sport plane, and I believe some of the pattern contests have an "Old School" class that looks to be a low cost way to some fun competition.
Good luck, and go practice it will make you a better pilot.

TW
What other competitions?
Thanks
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2013, 06:00 PM
PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
191 Posts
Other Competition

Transfer Message
PhoenixFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PhoenixFlyer
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Apr 11, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:41 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
But word of caution, the highest cost to being competitive in IMAC is not in dollars, it's in time investment. In 2006 when I was runner up in the SW region advanced class I was practicing 15-20 hours a week to stay at that level.
How are you, Shawn? I remember that year very well.

I've recently got back into flying IMAC contests. I'm not practicing much. It's purely social this time and I'm having an absolute blast!!
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird