HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:52 PM
Registered User
wayfaringdreamer's Avatar
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk07 View Post

Watched that and got a laugh out of if. I don't know a thing about IMAC so went on their website and got another chuckle over this:


If you are seeing this message, the system has detected you are not a current IMAC member (or not logged in)…AND…make no mistake about it...IMAC wants you as a member!
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:09 PM
Registered User
seattlebuoy's Avatar
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
267 Posts
We are just starting out and campaigning a used Hyperion Helios in
Basic in Sw region. The unlimited guys have been very helpful to us, inclusive of "celebrity" pilots. Everybody has been very pragmatic in equipment recommendations. 40-45% scale can wait until we move up a few classes. 50-60cc will suffice for more than a while. Good used stuff out there if one is patient too. Consistent theme of pilot over equipment, practice, master straight and level, practice...

Our recommendation: get the best you can afford and go fly...a trainer or "2nd plane" will just get you all frustrated. Spring for a mini F3A or something like a Reactor. It surprised up how much better one could fly than a sport plane. Costs no more than sport planes too.
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:28 PM
Jim in the Desert
cloud_9's Avatar
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Well I guess it would be possible to spend your life in novice. But it seems like once your in IMAC, it's likely you will move up. I suppose competing with people with a wide variety of planes would be OK, but I would prefer to have the planes regulated to make things more even. I can't see how a much superior plane flying in the novice (basic?) class would not be likely to score better and I'd prefer to level that field. Which means moving up out of novice. Which I can't afford.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:44 PM
Registered User
seattlebuoy's Avatar
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
267 Posts
Have you priced planes? That is a rather broad statement. As well, firm believer in pilot trumps equipment. An expensive plane won't win the day alone. Go to a few events and check things out or go to a club with several experienced IMAC guys. Better than debating hypotheticals on a forum...
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:58 PM
Jim in the Desert
cloud_9's Avatar
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
We are just starting out and campaigning a used Hyperion Helios in
Basic in Sw region. The unlimited guys have been very helpful to us, inclusive of "celebrity" pilots. Everybody has been very pragmatic in equipment recommendations. 40-45% scale can wait until we move up a few classes. 50-60cc will suffice for more than a while. Good used stuff out there if one is patient too. Consistent theme of pilot over equipment, practice, master straight and level, practice...

Our recommendation: get the best you can afford and go fly...a trainer or "2nd plane" will just get you all frustrated. Spring for a mini F3A or something like a Reactor. It surprised up how much better one could fly than a sport plane. Costs no more than sport planes too.

But you are saying you are flying pattern planes in IMAC basic. Why aren't you flying pattern? If you move out of basic, you will have to stop using a pattern plane so I wonder why you started with one?

BTW I just sold 3 Hyperion 67" Katanas, the predecessor of the
Helios, with Hyperion motor and mount. I just could not see where these would be competitive in pattern. As you say, you plan to move up in classes, and that's back to I can't afford it.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:00 PM
Jim in the Desert
cloud_9's Avatar
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
Have you priced planes? That is a rather broad statement. As well, firm believer in pilot trumps equipment. An expensive plane won't win the day alone. Go to a few events and check things out or go to a club with several experienced IMAC guys. Better than debating hypotheticals on a forum...
Not very thoroughly, but some. My impression is that for either IMAC or Pattern you are into thousands when you leave basic.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:33 PM
Registered User
seattlebuoy's Avatar
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
But you are saying you are flying pattern planes in IMAC basic. Why aren't you flying pattern? If you move out of basic, you will have to stop using a pattern plane so I wonder why you started with one?

BTW I just sold 3 Hyperion 67" Katanas, the predecessor of the
Helios, with Hyperion motor and mount. I just could not see where these would be competitive in pattern. As you say, you plan to move up in classes, and that's back to I can't afford it.
I'm not flying 2m patten ships, goal is good flight characteristics for aerobatics. Can do that with these types planes. Not looking to invest more at this stage and gain actual experience before selecting the next plane, thats why we are using these tupes for basic. I think you would be surprised what you can pick up used IMAC planes for, esp 50cc size. Don't forget the plane is actually cheap compare with the cost of travel for the contests and such...gotta pay to play, but can be done cost effectively. Check out IMAC classifieds and giantPlanes sister site to RCGroups for planes or contact the regional IMAC director to see who is selling...
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:10 AM
Jim in the Desert
cloud_9's Avatar
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
I'm not flying 2m patten ships, goal is good flight characteristics for aerobatics. Can do that with these types planes. Not looking to invest more at this stage and gain actual experience before selecting the next plane, thats why we are using these tupes for basic. I think you would be surprised what you can pick up used IMAC planes for, esp 50cc size. Don't forget the plane is actually cheap compare with the cost of travel for the contests and such...gotta pay to play, but can be done cost effectively. Check out IMAC classifieds and giantPlanes sister site to RCGroups for planes or contact the regional IMAC director to see who is selling...
You are right, no matter what I fly in, I will have to pay to travel to compete. Good point.
So check the IMAC site and Flying Giants... I'll see about that.

Thanks
Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:08 PM
Registered User
exf3bguy's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
236 Posts
For the most part IMAC has always been about large airplanes. That dosen't mean that you need one to go compete and do well. Even if you guys had a 40% airplane your first day in Basic you are not going to win. It takes a while of productive practice and contest experience to get that first win. Anyone who is complaining that he would not be competitive flying his trainer against a 40% Extra even in basic class needs his head examined.. On the other side if that same guy flying a 72" Edge, Sbach, Extra, MX2 powered with an OS 160 that has hooked up with an experienced IMAC competitor and had done the practice time will be competitive and will win over the unprepared 40% guy every time. Let's face it, guys who compete will look for every advantage they can, that's a good thing. Those who can afford it will want to buy that advantage and in a lot of cases they are the ones that are lazy and think the equipment will compensate for a lack of practice. Guess what, there is no substitute for practice, practice can however be a substitute for high dollar equipment. The best pan for anyone wanting to jump into IMAC is to spend the 20.00 to join IMAC and then post on the site that you are wanting to start competing while listing your location and ask for help. There will be guys who will reply and offer to take you under their wing. If there was someone close to me, I know I would. But word of caution, the highest cost to being competitive in IMAC is not in dollars, it's in time investment. In 2006 when I was runner up in the SW region advanced class I was practicing 15-20 hours a week to stay at that level.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:19 AM
The Prez....... again
kenh3497's Avatar
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
I did not read the whole thread so I apologize if this has been covered.....

I think the correct question should be "Which planes are competitive in IMACC?" The same question should apply to any of the various competitions whether it be aerobatics, pylon, free flight or what ever your poison is.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:15 AM
Registered User
exf3bguy's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
236 Posts
Ken, the problem is that the question has no real correct answer. If it did then everyone in their particular genre of R/C competition would be flying the exact same airplane. The ticket is to first select an airplane that is capable of performing what it required of it and fits your budget. Then outfit it with equipment that is reliable and a good match for the airplane. Next is setting up the airplane so that it fly's as easily as possible so the pilot workload is reduced. Then repeat after me 100 times...............Practice, Practice, practice.


And while we are on the subject of practice, download a copy of the IMAC judges handbook, read it twice and practice to that criteria. Loops are easy, loops that are perfectly round, start and stop at the same altitude, do not corkscrew and have no flat spots are not. Learn the criteria and avoid practicing mistakes.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:53 AM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Trixie Kimbal flew my 30cc GW MX and said it would make a great IMAC machine.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:53 PM
Registered User
exf3bguy's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
236 Posts
I have seen Videos of Trixie flying your airplane, she is an awesome 3D pilot but does she compete IMAC? I just ask because some persons do not realize just how far apart the two flying styles are.

I would however have to agree, properly set up your MX would make a great IMAC airplane. It looked like it flew light and it had plenty of power.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:04 AM
Propellorhead
pittsartist's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
30 Posts
A quote from the great Leo Loudenslager .............

"If you want to get into aerobatics with a $100,000 budget, spend $50,000 on an aeroplane and the rest on training"

Just knock 2 zero's off and there you have it !
pittsartist is offline Find More Posts by pittsartist
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:54 AM
Registered User
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
899 Posts
Is there a formal definition of "aerobatic" plane. Would any plane be prohibitted from competing because it is not considered to be "aerobatic"? (Just as the spellchecker here doesn't like the doubling of a consonant t, that is a standard practice in certain places of the world.)

Or is it judged on the required aerobatics? If I can do the required aerobatic forms in a 70 inch Sparrow Hawk, would that be allowed?
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question What are the different stunts? Hajile Electric Heli Talk 40 Apr 10, 2013 01:46 AM
Discussion What are the parameters of F5b duration tasks? Directions High Performance 19 Jan 20, 2013 05:48 AM
Wanted IMAC Plane dskuro95 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 15, 2013 03:03 PM
Wanted IMAC Plane dskuro95 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 15, 2013 03:03 PM
Wanted IMAC Plane dskuro95 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jan 03, 2013 01:43 PM