SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:56 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Oh. I've got Motor 4 acting up. I was out for a flight today doing some mild manoeuvres in a school field. Everything seemed fine until I started noticing this weird almost chirping sound every so often.
maybe try oiling the motor bearings.
@Banjo5, nice build, looks pretty weather resistant, you must be dying to get ouside with it.
@muck76, yeah, when it's cold out i wait a few minutes after setting the quad outside before i connect the lipo and fly, didn't do that at first and the quad felt out of control.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:46 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Actually I just swapped out the #4 motor with the #2 motor. Now I can't actually tell if it's still happening or not. All I have is sewing machine oil - is that suitable?
Could this be ESC or maybe a bad solder? Maybe some snow got in there from the crash?
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:09 AM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
i don't think sewing mach. oil could hurt, the chirp sound made me think maybe a bearing needed oil. i use a hypo needle to get the oil onto the bearings, the top one is tough to get at, a tooth pick with a drop on it can get in there. does the motor spin freely by hand, no lipo connected of course.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:18 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
All the motors seem to spin the same (no lipo). They're all new but I'll oil them all, no harm in that I guess! In the meantime if it's nice tomorrow I'll just go for another flight and see what happens. Funny thing though. When I have the heli strapped down and had the throttle sitting just high enough to keep the motors spinning smoothy, I noticed that it seemed like one or all of them would seem to start spinning faster and faster every few seconds... like there's some sort of feedback loop overriding the throttle from the stick. Weird night.

The ESC's Chris put in my DIY kit are Hobby King 20A UBEC that he flashed with SimonK firmware. I think it's this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html
So if I want to order some spares or use the same on my M Frame I'd need to buy this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hing_Tool.html

Download KK flash tool... will have to search for that.
Crazy stuff! I already have a spare RCX SimonK flashed ESC but I guess it's probably best not to mix brands?

HK F20A ESC Flashing with SimonK firmware (3 min 28 sec)

I think I need a waterproofing spray for electronics.... or something like that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rexless; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: ESC Info
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:16 AM
Master of Disaster!
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
All the motors seem to spin the same (no lipo). They're all new but I'll oil them all, no harm in that I guess! In the meantime if it's nice tomorrow I'll just go for another flight and see what happens. Funny thing though. When I have the heli strapped down and had the throttle sitting just high enough to keep the motors spinning smoothy, I noticed that it seemed like one or all of them would seem to start spinning faster and faster every few seconds... like there's some sort of feedback loop overriding the throttle from the stick. Weird night.

The ESC's Chris put in my DIY kit are Hobby King 20A UBEC that he flashed with SimonK firmware. I think it's this one:
So if I want to order some spares or use the same on my M Frame I'd need to buy this:

Crazy stuff! I already have a spare RCX SimonK flashed ESC but I guess it's probably best not to mix brands?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvjTEcVwYE

I think I need a waterproofing spray for electronics.... or something like that.
Sometimes the motors pulse if self-level is turned on. If its off, then not sure what it could be (interference maybe). Also, if you are going to order the Atmel flash tool make sure you order a USBasp too. You connect the flash tool to the USBasp and then plug the asp into the computers usb port.
Justin83 is offline Find More Posts by Justin83
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:54 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvjTEcVwYE

One the ESC's ... yup that's what's needed. I did mine for the CNC355.

On the motors, the spin up you see if the flight controller working. If the quad can't move then any error signal will result into it trying to correct things. It does this by speeding up a motor. But if the quad doesn't move then there's no feedback to say that things have been fixed, so it keeps trying harder. It's the "I" term (the integral of the error signal) will keep adding to the error signal over time. The "P" term would just create a constant small correction.

<Aside>
Given that the flight board is always correcting, I'm not quite sure why there's such a fuss about "matching" all the components (such as using the same ESC's everywhere). If the FC is quick enough (and I think it is, otherwise things like the SimonK FW would be unnecessary) then it would correct things. If I ever get some "spare time" I'm going to build something with different motors, props, ESC's on each arm and see what happens.
<End>

Cheers,
Andrew

PS. I suspect I'll give mine a try outside. It's -19 this morning, but supposed to go to -6.
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:09 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
Sometimes the motors pulse if self-level is turned on. If its off, then not sure what it could be (interference maybe). Also, if you are going to order the Atmel flash tool make sure you order a USBasp too. You connect the flash tool to the USBasp and then plug the asp into the computers usb port.
Self-level is disabled. USBasp - Fortunately I already have one of those. I grabbed it for the multiwii as eventually I'll try that somewhere (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
One the ESC's ... yup that's what's needed. I did mine for the CNC355.

On the motors, the spin up you see if the flight controller working. If the quad can't move then any error signal will result into it trying to correct things. It does this by speeding up a motor. But if the quad doesn't move then there's no feedback to say that things have been fixed, so it keeps trying harder. It's the "I" term (the integral of the error signal) will keep adding to the error signal over time. The "P" term would just create a constant small correction.

<Aside>
Given that the flight board is always correcting, I'm not quite sure why there's such a fuss about "matching" all the components (such as using the same ESC's everywhere). If the FC is quick enough (and I think it is, otherwise things like the SimonK FW would be unnecessary) then it would correct things. If I ever get some "spare time" I'm going to build something with different motors, props, ESC's on each arm and see what happens.
<End>

Cheers,
Andrew

PS. I suspect I'll give mine a try outside. It's -19 this morning, but supposed to go to -6.
Glad the gradual increase in throttle is normal-ish! I guessed it had something to do with all the P & I settings people keep talking about. Yet another level of learning to do at some point

I hope you can get out at -6. I've had some great flights around that temperature this winter. Anything below that I found my F45 became too weird and my fingers too brittle! Good Luck!

Speaking of weather-proof flying...
http://www.corrosionx.com/aviation.html
I've read a lot of posts suggesting this stuff is like magic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,525 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
Quote:
Self-level is disabled. USBasp - Fortunately I already have one of those. I grabbed it for the multiwii as eventually I'll try that somewhere (I think).
Mine pulsed on my big quad I built whether auto level was on or off. Scary at first but you get use to it.On my quad from chris it never pulsed, and that was a 355 size quad.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,760 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
I pushed the button. Bought a Dx7 and a couple dozens receivers. The cheap orange ones from Hobby King. I soon will have some ARTF fully setup Spektrum compatible Armattans.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have 27 "shipped" notices to email. That's tedious paper work. I dislike it but it comes with the territory, I suppose.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:17 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
Chris, did you notice the OrangeRx has been upgraded recently?
It was the R610 before.

The OrangeRx R615 is sporting a stylish new case design and utilizes dual antennae to offer true signal reception diversity! This results in an even more robust signal link than the original R610, while providing the same quality, range and value.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
It flies!

Just in from a first flight in the confines of the back yard (at a sunny -12 C). All works OK. Added the quick and dirty snow "pontoons" this morning, which work well and make things easy to see. They are a bit bent in from landing moving sideways. Think I'll make some sturdier mounts for them, but overall I think they kinda work (until I get more aggressive in my flying).

The ESC's were just slightly warm to touch, to my cold fingers, inside the box. Didn't think I could attribute any weird flying to KK2 cold issues, just a rusty person on the sticks.

Eventually broke a prop (as would be expected). Going to switch over to GWS 8x4 since that's what I have. I think all the cheap plastic gets brittle in the cold.

With a bit of editing I might have 10 secs or so of video proof. Hand holding the Flip just doesn't work . OK, went for it. Brief flight clips and a pre-flight "walk-around".
CNC First + Pre Flight Walkaround (0 min 0 sec)

(Youtube offered to stabilize the video, it's working on it ... so don't know if that'll help or not)

Well, now I need to get my day properly going. Hungry animals to feed.

Thanks Chris, and everyone.

cheers,
Andrew
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:47 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Chris, did you notice the OrangeRx has been upgraded recently? It was the R610 before. The OrangeRx R615 is sporting a stylish new case design and utilizes dual antennae to offer true signal reception diversity! This results in an even more robust signal link than the original R610, while providing the same quality, range and value.
This is the one I'm flying now. Seems to work alright.

Nice work Andrew... I hope the animals are well fed and give you time to try again later!

Chris - that's amazing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,760 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
That is one cool looking winter quad you have there. Very, VERY well done.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:24 PM
Can you flip that over for me?
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Hey Banjo5, Great job. I'm gonna borrow the pool noodle set up if you don't mind? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Stef
superfets is offline Find More Posts by superfets
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfets View Post
Hey Banjo5, Great job. I'm gonna borrow the pool noodle set up if you don't mind? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Stef
Hey, that's why I shared it . It was a flash of pragmatic inspiration that I think worked out pretty well. Maybe not for the way that Chris flies, but good for more common mortals like me . And for snow I think they'll be just the ticket. The different colours (which was another fluke) sure make orientation simpler too.

Just put on a set of GWS 8x4 props, so hopefully will try this out at the farm in a bit. More space will help me a lot.

cheers,
Andrew
Closed Thread