SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:54 AM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Hey rexless
That was a great job looks real nice and the video was nice liked the multi-view effect.
Well Two Thumbs Up on that for sure.
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:49 AM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
414 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
Great video Mickael. Looks cold there. Those gyros don't take too kindly to extreme temperature changes. I've noticed that attempting to fly in my backyard after coming directly out of my warm house to the chill of the air that they don't do so well until they adjust to the temperature. Also, I've had a few battery ejections too. Even with a very tight strap sometimes they just slip out when banking under high g forces. I'm going to look into a rubber strap I think. That looks like a nice radio. Hope you've set up failsafe on this one. Don't want you to lose another one.
You guys are not using velcro on your batteries plus the strap?
jsflyrv is online now Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,753 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Excellent! I have to say that's looking sweet. When I told my wife about the soapbox idea you were working on she offered to pick one up for me. What receiver is that in there? I can't wait to see your video!

So here's mine. My maiden flight with the CNC 355. No fancy flying. I was doing fine at banked circuits and some 8's when I lost the M - I figured I should take it easy first time out with a new helicopter - especially considering it's my first DIY ever. I think I understand why Chris does this... it was really quite fun to build and to be honest I quite enjoyed figuring out the OrangeRX DSM2 + Devo10 w/deviation firmware (with lots of help!). I ran down a pack of batteries on the TX trying to learn and adjust settings until everything worked.

Anyway, here's the video of the maiden flight - complete with a crash into the snow and some video evidence of temperature change screwing with the gyro. All in all it was a great maiden flight. I'll have to get a hold of a quad simulator &/or spend more time on the CP simulator I have. I have to overcome all the fixed pitch flying I've been doing lately.

http://youtu.be/57zlntEcS_U

Oh, and for anyone wanting to see the deviation model file I'm using, here you go...

Very nice video, and awesome video editing. Nice to put a face to a post, as well. Looks cold over there!

Thanks for posting this and for the feedback, Mickael. Is it just me or you were flying it a lot better already by the end of the video? Rusty on the sticks a bit maybe. You've been flying helis for a while.

Nice controlled flights, aside from the battery incident. That was hilarious, by the way. If at least it stayed connected! But nope... Flew right off and BOOM! Got to love having stuff like that on tape. The video needs a slomotion on that part with a long screeching "Noooooo." LOL

I've only got about 7 or 8 flights in in the last 10 days, myself. Been to busy dealing with orders. Feeling rusty.

Anyways... Good stuff, Sir!

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:07 AM
Can you flip that over for me?
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Hey Chris. After you're done rescuing that dog you should slap on a fresh battery get some air time. You deserve it my friend.
And if you want to film and post it, that would be cool too.

Cheers
Stef

P.S. Still waiting on the info so i can donate to http://www.bark-taiwan.org/
superfets is offline Find More Posts by superfets
Last edited by superfets; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:44 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeisteriii View Post
Hey rexless
That was a great job looks real nice and the video was nice liked the multi-view effect. Well Two Thumbs Up on that for sure.
Thanks. I really need to get a better camera though. The 808#16 is ok, but the Sony camcorder is not even 720p so the image quality is poor. I'm looking at options to make it even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflyrv View Post
You guys are not using velcro on your batteries plus the strap?
I used velcro on the last quad to help. I guess I could do that again here. I don't like sticking velcro on the batteries though but that would have saved me from that crash!

Quote:
Very nice video, and awesome video editing. Nice to put a face to a post, as well. Looks cold over there!

Thanks for posting this and for the feedback, Mickael. Is it just me or you were flying it a lot better already by the end of the video? Rusty on the sticks a bit maybe. You've been flying helis for a while.

Nice controlled flights, aside from the battery incident. That was hilarious, by the way. If at least it stayed connected! But nope... Flew right off and BOOM! Got to love having stuff like that on tape. The video needs a slomotion on that part with a long screeching "Noooooo." LOL

I've only got about 7 or 8 flights in in the last 10 days, myself. Been to busy dealing with orders. Feeling rusty.

Anyways... Good stuff, Sir!

Best,
Chris
You're right, I should have slowed the video down more. I actually slowed it to 80%. The screeching Noooo would have been fun! Hopefully I'll get out today to work on the sticks while the sun is still here. Rain and snow forecast for this week!!! Thanks Chris!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:03 PM
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Hey Rexless,

Thanks for the video. Great work. Really enjoyed it. Especially the crash. Thanks for keeping it real. Keep it up and I'm looking forward to see what's next.

Cheers
Stef
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
639 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
It's liable to make you very seasick - but here's my first video using the GoPro Mount. A few things you should know first:

1) This is only the 2nd time flying this quad - all previous experience was with an MQX which I'm far from great at.
2) This is not a GoPro - it's an Emerson Action Cam but is mounted to the GoPro Mount and the Action Cam is about the same size as a Go Pro.
3) I need to find a better way to reduce vibrations (I had a small strip of foam between the camera and the mount but might have had the camera secured down to tight for the foam to do any good.
4) Around 4:40 (if you make it that far) I have operator error and loose "happy control" over the quad. It starts to go towards a roof - then I save it and it ends up a couple streets over WAY UP before I manage to bring it back to me.

I have A LOT OF PRACTICE needed but I will have a blast with this thing.

1st Flight with Camera Mount (7 min 20 sec)
jdr00ejr is online now Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:20 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,743 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
jello is most often causes by not balancing your props.

it's a good way to start.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
It's liable to make you very seasick - but here's my first video using the GoPro Mount.
We have a winner. You're the first to post a video with the gopro mount. I think you did great. Keep trying and you'll only get greater results. Thanks for posting and i hope to see more.

Cheers
Stef
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:25 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Trader Rating: 49
Great video. Nice save. I have nearly bought one of those Emerson's a 100 times. I'll pull the trigger sooner or later.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2006
776 Posts
Set up my DX7 for throttle cut off in Acro. Found a thread on here that had the programming for it. Don't really need it with the arm and disarm but its nice to have.
Flew outside for the first time also. I think the gyros needed to sit outside first before I flew though. Sub trims helped my other things I mentioned last week.
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
good save there jdr, looks like you had the quad pretty high up, my 2nd flight i buried my cnc355 in the snow, congrats on getting your armattan flying, looks like your mount is setup good, no props in the camera view.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:08 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
639 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. Before Youtube cleaned up my video there were spots in it that were really bad with the video "waving" like a bad jello mold. The version you guys are seeing is "cleaned up" but still really bad in my opinion.

Are folks hard mounting or is the foam between the camera and mount a good idea?

Anyone know if Chris balances blades on his RXRs before shipment? Spose I need to pull them and check.
jdr00ejr is online now Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:09 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
It's liable to make you very seasick - but here's my first video using the GoPro Mount. A few things you should know first:

1) This is only the 2nd time flying this quad - all previous experience was with an MQX which I'm far from great at.
2) This is not a GoPro - it's an Emerson Action Cam but is mounted to the GoPro Mount and the Action Cam is about the same size as a Go Pro.
3) I need to find a better way to reduce vibrations (I had a small strip of foam between the camera and the mount but might have had the camera secured down to tight for the foam to do any good.
4) Around 4:40 (if you make it that far) I have operator error and loose "happy control" over the quad. It starts to go towards a roof - then I save it and it ends up a couple streets over WAY UP before I manage to bring it back to me.

I have A LOT OF PRACTICE needed but I will have a blast with this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rmz5...ature=youtu.be
Looks pretty good. I find the quads harder to eliminate jello than the FP helis - but on my last Armattan I had used zip ties to give it a nice solid connection to the top of the KK2 tower. I think balancing your props is a good start (not that I ever do that) and picking the right material to go between the camera and the mount location. I use hard plastics most of the time.

Oh. I've got Motor 4 acting up. I was out for a flight today doing some mild manoeuvres in a school field. Everything seemed fine until I started noticing this weird almost chirping sound every so often. I could see the quad sort of 'hop' each time it happened. It looked like a misfire really. I kept flying and it slowly become more agressive until I visibly saw motor #4 stop for a split second then fire up again (not sure how I kept it flying). I gave it a rest and tried again - same result. So I'll have to try the motor swap tonight and see if it's the motor or the ESC!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rexless; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Ready to go!

Got everything finished and did a couple of test "jumps" in the front hall (it's -20, blowing half a gale, and very dark outside).

One final change is the feet. The bolt head seemed to interfere with the motor wires more than I liked so I bolted them into one of the motor mounts. Plus solved the problem of two MIA countersunk screws. The steel feet screws that Chris supplied were the right length. However, the CNC feet do seem pretty soft. I bent them just bouncing down from a few feet high (pretty high stress flying in the confines of the front hall).

I think I'll thread some lumps of pool foam over them for the first while. Will give more bounce and snow clearance.

I'd like to get some of the wire mesh to cover up the motor wires, just to keep things cleaner.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Closed Thread