HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
42 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Sorry about the fiasco, Chris. Hope it gets resolved without too much hassle, and hope to see you back here soon!

As the CNC skids were not up to my rookie flying skills, I figured out something light, cheap, and more durable. It's not up to the aesthetics of the Armattan CNC355, but it will keep my quad intact while I develop better flying skills.

The feet are 4cm sections of a Wiffle Bat (original), which is very lightweight and built to withstand a beating. The feet have withstood several hard landings so far, and have barely flattened at all. When I did begin to notice a tiny bit of flattening on 2 of the feet, I stuffed some springy foam in them that I had lying around from some packaging. I attached the feet with the existing hardware for the CNC skids, simply adding a small washer on the inside of the yellow tube.

I also added the yellow and black foam on the front to help with orientation. It was just a sheet of very thin foam sold in a pack of 32 at a dollar store in the art supplies section. I poked 2 holes near the edges and used pieces of pipe cleaner to fasten it the the FC standoffs. I tried all yellow foam at first, then added the black circle with a Sharpie this morning, since I had previously found the black Beetle face on my V929 useful for orientation. I do in fact like it better with the black circle.

I'm wondering if we should start an "Armattan Quadcopters" thread in the Multirotor Talk forum. It seems like a more appropriate place than the classifieds, and will give Armattan quads better exposure. It will keep being bumped to the top each time one of us posts something new. It would be great if the first posts were Chris' outstanding FAQ and videos, so if people think this is a good idea, maybe we should wait till Chris is reinstated.
Michael L is offline Find More Posts by Michael L
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:44 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
... <lots of good stuff, well said>

I buy from Chris because he has proven to be a stand-up guy when it comes to customer service. When you order from Chris you get exactly what you are promised.
I'm a big believer of "all things considered and taken by and large, what goes around comes around".

As many of you have said (so well), Chris has established a good reputation which should stand him in good stead. So +1 to all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael L View Post
Sorry about the fiasco, Chris. Hope it gets resolved without too much hassle, and hope to see you back here soon!

... <good info on skids>

I'm wondering if we should start an "Armattan Quadcopters" thread in the Multirotor Talk forum. It seems like a more appropriate place than the classifieds, and will give Armattan quads better exposure. It will keep being bumped to the top each time one of us posts something new. It would be great if the first posts were Chris' outstanding FAQ and videos, so if people think this is a good idea, maybe we should wait till Chris is reinstated.
I think a your suggestion for a separate topic in the Talk Forum is a great idea. The business transaction part may change, but we need to keep the community for sharing and support vibrant.

I like your skid design too. Might "borrow" from it .

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:26 PM
Can you flip that over for me?
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Are you sure that's cool?
And ya, the community will live on, Chris will be back. But a new Armattan thread is not only a great idea, it's awesome.

For all those in favor say aye
superfets is offline Find More Posts by superfets
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:33 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
629 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
AYE. I was surprised there wasn't an Armattan Praise/Mods thread over there already. Seems lots of folks have their own small tweaks, etc. to help make them their own.

I can't wait to get mine and I've been compiling ideas I've seen of things I might do.
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:43 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Creepy1's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,477 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
I'll be honest, I was definately on the Bobepine Armattan bandwagon. That is until I was shown actual emails of him bad mouthing not just me but others aswell. Before anybody starts the flaming, I confronted Chris about these emails, and he fessed up to them with an apology for which I still have saved in my email. I hold nothing against the Armattan quads as they're quite great. As for him as a person, and me as a buyer, and also a designer for him on his Armattan 1, I've lost respect for sure. With all this being said, this design thing they are bickering about I have no idea who is tell the truth or not. What I do know is the Armattan 1 quad I designed for him is all his to do as he pleases. I wish him the best of luck with that.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:54 PM
AMA# 980507
Th3UmBrA's Avatar
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
I subscribed to this thread after buying a CNC355 from the other thread mainly to see how this quad progresses. I had thought about asking Chris about starting a thread in the multicopter forum as well. Seems that would be a better place for all the chatter.

Aside from this, I would definitely by another quad from Chris as he has something that I wish more people had in this world, integrity. When he says something is going to ship it ships. When I or anyone else has a problem he helps. I hear all this USA talk, yet all the components that go into ANY of the other quads (and most of the things in this hobby) are from China. Heck, I bet the people crying about the USA parts drive an import. All the underhanded things, like people creating bogus accounts to trash talk this quad, make me want to stick with Chris even more. Apparently the competition is afraid of his success so they gotta do these kinds of things...
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
411 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy1 View Post
I'll be honest, I was definately on the Bobepine Armattan bandwagon. That is until I was shown actual emails of him bad mouthing not just me but others aswell. Before anybody starts the flaming, I confronted Chris about these emails, and he fessed up to them with an apology for which I still have saved in my email. I hold nothing against the Armattan quads as they're quite great. As for him as a person, and me as a buyer, and also a designer for him on his Armattan 1, I've lost respect for sure. With all this being said, this design thing they are bickering about I have no idea who is tell the truth or not. What I do know is the Armattan 1 quad I designed for him is all his to do as he pleases. I wish him the best of luck with that.
Yeah yeah I got the emails also you didn't see me in here going on about them. Crappy crappy business practice to send them out to Chris customers, I could give a S=== what goes on behind the scene as long as I get a good product at a good price with good support.
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:05 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Creepy1's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,477 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflyrv View Post
Yeah yeah I got the emails also you didn't see me in here going on about them. Crappy crappy business practice to send them out to Chris customers, I could give a S=== what goes on behind the scene as long as I get a good product at a good price with good support.
Good for you bud!
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
42 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
All I can speak to is my experience with the ordering and purchase of my CNC355, and the quality of the product. Both were and are simply outstanding. I have just added trader feedback, and see that Chris has 100% positive feedback.

I just tried lifting a Canon A570is point and shoot camera witrh my CNC355. The camera weighs 248 grams, including a lens barrel adapter to protect the lens (20 grams) and a velcro strap (3 grams). That's a bit more than half a pound. I strapped it right on top of the plastic window above the KK2.0.

The all up weight of my quad with this camera is 1,036 approximately grams which is about 2 1/4 lbs.

Even though the camera was not perfectly centered, the quad flew well with no additional adjustment (trim) and elevated at about 50% throttle.

I have updated my KK2.0 Self-Level settings and it is very level and stable, with and without the extra weight. The new settings I am using, which would be excellent for an inexperienced quad flyer and/or a photographer are:

Self Level: ON

Self-Level settings:

P gain: 40
P limit: 20
Acc Trim Roll: 0
Acc Trim Pitch: 0

The Armattan CNC355 lifted the extra payload with absolutely no problem, and my flight time seemed very similar to what it is without the additional weight, about 6 minutes with a Turnigy Nano-tech 3S 2200mah battery.

Unfortunately, the camera I tried has optical image stabilization, which gets messed up by the high frequency vibrations of the quadcopter. I was warned about this issue by a friend. So, I'm sad to say that I have no aerial photos to share this time.
Michael L is offline Find More Posts by Michael L
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:54 PM
Master of Disaster!
Justin83's Avatar
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael L View Post
All I can speak to is my experience with the ordering and purchase of my CNC355, and the quality of the product. Both were and are simply outstanding. I have just added trader feedback, and see that Chris has 100% positive feedback.

I just tried lifting a Canon A570is point and shoot camera witrh my CNC355. The camera weighs 248 grams, including a lens barrel adapter to protect the lens (20 grams) and a velcro strap (3 grams). That's a bit more than half a pound. I strapped it right on top of the plastic window above the KK2.0.

The all up weight of my quad with this camera is 1,036 approximately grams which is about 2 1/4 lbs.

Even though the camera was not perfectly centered, the quad flew well with no additional adjustment (trim) and elevated at about 50% throttle.

I have updated my KK2.0 Self-Level settings and it is very level and stable, with and without the extra weight. The new settings I am using, which would be excellent for an inexperienced quad flyer and/or a photographer are:

Self Level: ON

Self-Level settings:

P gain: 40
P limit: 20
Acc Trim Roll: 0
Acc Trim Pitch: 0

The Armattan CNC355 lifted the extra payload with absolutely no problem, and my flight time seemed very similar to what it is without the additional weight, about 6 minutes with a Turnigy Nano-tech 3S 2200mah battery.

Unfortunately, the camera I tried has optical image stabilization, which gets messed up by the high frequency vibrations of the quadcopter. I was warned about this issue by a friend. So, I'm sad to say that I have no aerial photos to share this time.
I'm sure you'll figure it out and have some magnificent images to post in the future. Really enjoyed the photos you linked in an earlier thread and am looking forward to some made using the Armattan.
Justin83 is offline Find More Posts by Justin83
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:20 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
major.monogram's Avatar
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Trader Rating: 49
Hey guys. I hate to see all of this drama but eff it all anyway.

I'm trying to get my cnc 355 back in the air and it's giving me some issues. First, I have all of the motors spinning the right way and all of the props on properly. I have one mismatched esc but its a 20a simonk flashed esc. Anyway, when i throttle up my quad flips right. I've calibrated the escs several times. i've done the sensor calibration as well. Anything else I can check? It's driving me crazy at this point. Thanks!

Casey
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:41 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Creepy1's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,477 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Hey guys. I hate to see all of this drama but eff it all anyway.

I'm trying to get my cnc 355 back in the air and it's giving me some issues. First, I have all of the motors spinning the right way and all of the props on properly. I have one mismatched esc but its a 20a simonk flashed esc. Anyway, when i throttle up my quad flips right. I've calibrated the escs several times. i've done the sensor calibration as well. Anything else I can check? It's driving me crazy at this point. Thanks!

Casey
Receiver test, and see if a channel is reversed. That usually flips it.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:04 PM
Slayer
northrnflyer's Avatar
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Hey Major,

I had that problem today on another quad and I had accidentally hooked up 2 motors in the wrong spot. Motor 1 was in 3 spot and motor 3in the 1 position. Dumb mistake, but lucky that it only took me 10 mins to find out.
northrnflyer is offline Find More Posts by northrnflyer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:14 PM
Registered User
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
411 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Hey guys. I hate to see all of this drama but eff it all anyway.

I'm trying to get my cnc 355 back in the air and it's giving me some issues. First, I have all of the motors spinning the right way and all of the props on properly. I have one mismatched esc but its a 20a simonk flashed esc. Anyway, when i throttle up my quad flips right. I've calibrated the escs several times. i've done the sensor calibration as well. Anything else I can check? It's driving me crazy at this point. Thanks!

Casey
These things are so hard to fix in text. Usually when it flips right over it is unclaibrated ESC or props on in wrong position motor hooked up wrong etc etc.

I know you probably know all of this but here goes
Front left motor CW, front right motor CCW, rear right motor CW, rear left motor CCW.

Calibrate ESC's, tx throttle full up turn on radio, push and hold both outside buttons and plug in battery to quad when you hear the da da da daaa then close the throttle while still holding the two buttons you the hear da da da de let go of buttons, unplug and plug in again should take care of calibrations. All with props off of course. if you have not made any changes in the KK2 it should be good.
But check in the KK2 menu you are still with correct motor lay out being a X NOT a +. under load motor lay out make sure quadcopter X mode is used. Do a sensor test to make sure they all say ok. In MODE SETTING if you use your TX to turn on self level make sure it say AUX, I link roll and pitch so it say yes, Auto disarm YES, CPPM enabled NO, Turn on the radio and do a receiver test and make sure everything on the test screen corresponds with what you are doing with the TX controls. CHECK once more that you have the correct wire hookup between RX and KK2.

I understand you probably know and do this stuff already but barring a mechanical problem that is about all I can do to help.

GOOD LUCK
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
major.monogram's Avatar
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Trader Rating: 49
Great. Thanks guys. I will run through all of that in a few! Ill let you know how it goes.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAQ Nine Eagles Solo Pro I/II/V1/V2/270/Bravo SX FAQ (FAQ part in the first 3 postings!) SoloProFan Micro Helis 2098 Sep 04, 2014 12:37 AM
For Sale Armattan Quads Price List and FAQ bobepine Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1379 Jan 16, 2013 01:51 PM
Sold Armattan 355mm quad N3SHXX Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 5 Jan 15, 2013 03:48 PM
Found Trade a Armattan RXR quad for iPhone 3 bobepine Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Dec 01, 2012 11:47 AM
For Sale Armattan Quads Announcement: Upgrade Parts bobepine Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 16 Oct 13, 2012 12:07 PM