SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:59 PM
Registered User
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Discussion
ECX Ruckus pinion change for increase acceleration?

Just got a new Electrix Ruckus and it is very much fun. Looking for a little more speed out of it before going the BL route. I am thinking of a pinion gear change of a tooth or two for increase acceleration. It currently comes with a 19 toothe gear. I was told a 20 tooth gear will make a noticeable difference. Has anyone done this with this truck? This is my first RC truck so I am learning on the fly.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:45 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,691 Posts
A bigger pinion usually will mean less acceleration, unless you have a motor with high torque and relatively low top RPM. In that case the motor gets to top RPM too soon and can't unleash it's full power. A tooth or 2, depending on the motor, up on the pinion count is then an easy "upgrade".

Btw, do you already use LiPo or still NiMh? If the latter, switching to LiPo will increase acceleration and top speed for sure. Just make sure if your speed controller has no low voltage protection for lipos, you'll need a seperate lipo saver to monitor battery voltage, and tell you when to stop driving before you wreck your lipo.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:40 AM
Registered User
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
A bigger pinion usually will mean less acceleration, unless you have a motor with high torque and relatively low top RPM. In that case the motor gets to top RPM too soon and can't unleash it's full power. A tooth or 2, depending on the motor, up on the pinion count is then an easy "upgrade".

Btw, do you already use LiPo or still NiMh? If the latter, switching to LiPo will increase acceleration and top speed for sure. Just make sure if your speed controller has no low voltage protection for lipos, you'll need a seperate lipo saver to monitor battery voltage, and tell you when to stop driving before you wreck your lipo.
The Ruckus is stock out of the box with a 20t motor. Currently runninig 4200mah
nimh batteries. The guy at my LHS is the one who informed me of going up a tooth or two to increase acceleration. I read on an HPI site that to increase acceleration to go down a tooth. Didn't know what to believe. I am not looking for top end, but not looking for a dragracer either. The Ruckus comes with a LVC but I think it is for nimh batteries. I am aware of lipos as that's what I fly my planes and helis with. This is the first RC vehicle without a prop. My wife also bought me a HPI Sprint 2 Sport '69 Camaro Z-28. Looking to do the same with it. It comes with a 15t motor. Pretty quick already. Yes this was a good Christmas.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:51 PM
chopper chopper chopper!!!
Lozki's Avatar
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
hey rwek...i have a ruckus RC monster truck i went thru 2 brushed motors before i went to brushless i have a 4000kv tazer BL motor with a 18T pin i also jumped up to lipo 4000,5000,
2c and wow let me tell you bro super fast i had to grab some wheely bars for it jumps off the ground love it soooooo much killer RC and can take a beating...let me know if you have any Q....Holla Lozki
Lozki is offline Find More Posts by Lozki
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Helis
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
Registered User
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozki View Post
hey rwek...i have a ruckus RC monster truck i went thru 2 brushed motors before i went to brushless i have a 4000kv tazer BL motor with a 18T pin i also jumped up to lipo 4000,5000,
2c and wow let me tell you bro super fast i had to grab some wheely bars for it jumps off the ground love it soooooo much killer RC and can take a beating...let me know if you have any Q....Holla Lozki
Did you do any mods to it when it was still brushless? I have seen and heard about BL motor setups and the insane speeds that follow. Right now I am looking for more speed, just not that much speed at the moment. I am looking to build up to it I guess. Changing the pinion gear seemed to be the easiest and cheapest way to do that. Do you still have good control with the BL at slower speeds?
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:17 PM
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwek View Post
The Ruckus is stock out of the box with a 20t motor. Currently runninig 4200mah
nimh batteries. The guy at my LHS is the one who informed me of going up a tooth or two to increase acceleration. I read on an HPI site that to increase acceleration to go down a tooth. Didn't know what to believe. I am not looking for top end, but not looking for a dragracer either. The Ruckus comes with a LVC but I think it is for nimh batteries. I am aware of lipos as that's what I fly my planes and helis with. This is the first RC vehicle without a prop. My wife also bought me a HPI Sprint 2 Sport '69 Camaro Z-28. Looking to do the same with it. It comes with a 15t motor. Pretty quick already. Yes this was a good Christmas.

If you want more top speed, you need a bigger pinion or smaller spur gear. If you want more torque (acceleration) you need a smaller pinion or bigger spur gear.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
Registered User
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you want more top speed, you need a bigger pinion or smaller spur gear. If you want more torque (acceleration) you need a smaller pinion or bigger spur gear.
I was under the impression that torque and fast acceleration were opposites. You either had a lot of torque, which gives you the grunt to go up hills and steep inclines, or you had fast acceleration and low torque.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:37 PM
chopper chopper chopper!!!
Lozki's Avatar
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
i know EXC only has one spur gear for the ruckus like i said i have mine dialed in it gos fast but i can control that with my radio turn the expo down id try a 17turn motor not to fast but fast .
Lozki is offline Find More Posts by Lozki
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Helis
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:12 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwek View Post
I was under the impression that torque and fast acceleration were opposites. You either had a lot of torque, which gives you the grunt to go up hills and steep inclines, or you had fast acceleration and low torque.
Torque comes in shades, as to speak. If you want a car to climb hills like a crawler, you need massive amounts of torque. This usually requires a special motor, like with brushed 55 turn and up and/or small pinion and big spur.

If you want a car to do well on a track with lots of turns and twists, you need more bottom end and mid end speed. You can achieve this by using a motor with more than average torque, and/or smaller pinion/bigger spur. But if you go too low on the pinion/spur ratio, you get closer to the crawler section, the motor will run like 26000 or so rpm but you only have massive acceleration in the lower end and not in the middle, as you motor will have reached top rpm and therefore top speed, too soon.

If you want to go faster, you need to get a bigger pinion/smaller spur. But if you go too far there, the motor will not have the torque to drive the car from stand still, like trying to drive away a 1:1 car in highest gear without using the clutch.

So the key is to find a balance between the torque needed to start moving and enough rpm on the wheels to have good mid end speed and top end speed. On RTR vehicles the pinion often gets chosen on the small side, to protect the motor if the new driver runs into heavier terrain than the car can handle. If you keep an eye on temperature of motor and ESC, you can choose a bigger pinion.

But if not using lipos yet, as most RTR come with NiMh, that is one way to increase both acceleration and top speed at the same time. Success guaranteed.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 20, 2013 at 02:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:59 PM
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwek View Post
I was under the impression that torque and fast acceleration were opposites. You either had a lot of torque, which gives you the grunt to go up hills and steep inclines, or you had fast acceleration and low torque.
You need torque to accelerate...

Think of it this way, if you want to accelerate in a real car fast do you start off in first gear or sixth gear?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:38 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
The one thing that has not been mentioned yet that has to take into consideration is your gear ratio in your transmission. Your manual should tell you what the final gear ratio is. Also you will want to figure the roll out of your truck your tire size will play a part in this to. Just adding a bigger more powerful battery is not enough. If you have the wrong pinion and spur for your gear ratio your going to heat up your motor and ESC. It will also effect your run time.

This is off of ECX website it will help explain better then I can.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Articles/Articl...ArticleID=2359
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:12 PM
Registered User
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
You all have been a huge help and I thank you. I checked the ECX site and that and the video were very helpful in understanding what I am looking for. I realize that I may be going to lipos sooner than I thought. I have ordered a set of pinion gears for the Ruckus from A Main Hobbies. They are 17,18,19,20,21. Since the pinion gear in the Ruckus is a 19, I will have one & two teeth both up and down to experiment with. Jumping into something new is a learning experience and I have learned much. It was the same when I started to fly planes and helicopters. I have been doing that for over 4 years and now I feel like I am starting over again. It is a humbling experience. Appreciate all the input. I am sure I will be back with other noob questions until I get the hang of it and even afterward. I will let you know how things go when I get the gears and the lipos.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Last edited by rwek; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:22 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,691 Posts
That sounds like a nice selection of pinions, gives you options to "shift gear" around the "middle gear ratio setting" and see the effects. Especially when putting in a bigger pinion, check motor and speed controllers temperatures. A bigger pinion puts a bigger load on the motor, and as a result current draw and heat buildup will increase.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:04 PM
Registered User
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Last night I was on Horizon Hobby site and saw that the current Ruckus comes with a 15t motor. Mine is a 20t. I was thinking, for a 15 t motor $20 is not a bad option. So today I went and bought a 15t motor for it and it does the trick for me.
It gets up and goes pretty fast now. It came with a 19t pinion. The pinion on my ruckus is 18t. I ran it with the 19 on it and was pleased. I put the 18 on it and didn't really notice that much difference over the 19. Either way, it moves quicker than stock. My pinjion gears I ordered come tomorrow. I may put the 17t pinion on it to see what a difference it makes. Either way, the new motor makes a difference that puts a smile on my face.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:24 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
^^^^ That is the whole point of R/C ^^^^^^ putting a grin on your face.Very good! Now go have some fun
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Electrix Circuit vs Ruckus - Upgrading the ruckus. skogs Electric Power Cars 16 Mar 20, 2014 07:41 PM
Question High Hovering Throttle % For Hovering, Change Pinion? (Hummingbird FP) Minimole Micro Helis 7 Jul 26, 2005 04:18 AM
Logo 10 - How to increas flight time? test3 Electric Heli Talk 5 Jul 11, 2003 01:28 AM
Anyone in Alberta willing to change a pinion gear for me? Canada Goose Electric Sailplanes 2 May 30, 2003 06:56 PM
Changing Pinions Doesn't seem to Change Headspeed... TMP00283 Electric Heli Talk 4 Jan 12, 2003 07:08 PM