HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:26 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
Question
First Scratch Build Questions

Hey all!

I want to redesign my current quad into an h-frame so I can mount some FPV gear on it as well as gps and what not (also I think h-quads just look awesome). Currently I have 10 inch props and 1100KV motors. My question is:

What size of h-frame (length and width) would be good with the 10 inch props and 1100KV motors.

My current quad frame is this one which is 550mm motor to motor.
Thanks for any help I get!
elmtree is offline Find More Posts by elmtree
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:46 PM
Registered User
eyesonsky's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
Hi elmtree.

Welcome to your QuadH project, love it

Yes a H-frame 550mm "motor to motor" will be ok with your setup.

You can also try with 9" props.

What is your FC?
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:49 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
Here you go!
alstoys is offline Find More Posts by alstoys
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:04 AM
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonsky View Post
Hi elmtree.

Welcome to your QuadH project, love it

Yes a H-frame 550mm "motor to motor" will be ok with your setup.

You can also try with 9" props.

What is your FC?
Thanks for the enthusiasm! I have a KK2.0 installed on my current frame, but for Christmas I got a Crius AIOP with extend board and gps. I got the board all setup (just the software, not actually on the quad).

I've seen the flitetest h-quad, but I was wondering if that might be too big for my motors and props. Even if my motors can handle it, would it be better to make it smaller for efficiency? I guess it is smaller than my current quad so it will probably be a similar weight (maybe heavier 'cause of the 4 lengths of wood might be heavy).
elmtree is offline Find More Posts by elmtree
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:59 AM
we dont NEED roads!
AcroFPV's Avatar
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,418 Posts
I did a custom wood H frame and put my motors 18" apart from eachother (sorry, i don't think in metric)

The thing flew GREAT! Very stable, and i used 750kv motors with 11" props. The wood I used might have been the wrong stuff, cause the frame alone weighed 3lbs
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:13 AM
Registered User
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
I have used Balsa USA for building supplies for fixed wing aircraft for more years than I care to mention. I checked their website and they carry materials to build a wooden frame H-quad.
http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/62.htm

1 ea. 1/8 x 6 x 24 Poplar Lite Plywood $2.06
4 ea. 1/2 x 1/2 x 24 Basswood Stick $1.17

The lite ply is tough stuff. We have been building giant scale fuselages with it and when properly braced has no flex at all. For less than 10 bucks you’ve got yourself a frame.
Running through some quick calculations, the Flitetest frame should weigh between 200 and 245 grams depending on dimensions. That's roughly 1/2 lb. for you Imperialists.
alstoys is offline Find More Posts by alstoys
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:14 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
I did a custom wood H frame and put my motors 18" apart from eachother (sorry, i don't think in metric)

The thing flew GREAT! Very stable, and i used 750kv motors with 11" props. The wood I used might have been the wrong stuff, cause the frame alone weighed 3lbs

Awesome! that's a lot of weight for the frame though.




Quote:
Originally Posted by alstoys View Post
I have used Balsa USA for building supplies for fixed wing aircraft for more years than I care to mention. I checked their website and they carry materials to build a wooden frame H-quad.
http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/62.htm

1 ea. 1/8 x 6 x 24 Poplar Lite Plywood $2.06
4 ea. 1/2 x 1/2 x 24 Basswood Stick $1.17

The lite ply is tough stuff. We have been building giant scale fuselages with it and when properly braced has no flex at all. For less than 10 bucks you’ve got yourself a frame.
Running through some quick calculations, the Flitetest frame should weigh between 200 and 245 grams depending on dimensions. That's roughly 1/2 lb. for you Imperialists.
Thanks for the site, looks great. If my local store doesn't carry the stuff I'll check there.
elmtree is offline Find More Posts by elmtree
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:28 PM
we dont NEED roads!
AcroFPV's Avatar
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmtree View Post
Awesome! that's a lot of weight for the frame though.
Yes it was way heavy, but as i said i used the wrong wood. I am sure much lighter wood is available, i just used 3/4" square stock from Home Depot.

Here's the build for it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774676

The electronics live on in my new frame, which is a kit bought off the internet. Now the total weight, without battery sits just shy of 2lbs.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:41 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
Yes it was way heavy, but as i said i used the wrong wood. I am sure much lighter wood is available, i just used 3/4" square stock from Home Depot.

Here's the build for it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774676

The electronics live on in my new frame, which is a kit bought off the internet. Now the total weight, without battery sits just shy of 2lbs.
Nice! My current quad with 1 battery is over 2lbs so losing a little weight with the hquad will be great.
elmtree is offline Find More Posts by elmtree
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:00 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
I'm thinking of widening the flitetest mid section. How much clearance do the props need from it? With the widening (to 4.5 inches) I have ~1.5 inches of clearance from the props to the plate.

Thanks!
elmtree is offline Find More Posts by elmtree
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Seeking suggestions for next scratch build dglo Scale Kit/Scratch Built 29 Oct 29, 2013 09:12 PM
Discussion Scratch-built 28" FFF Tiger Moth biplane (first scratch build) mclarkson Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 20 Apr 04, 2012 03:39 PM
Discussion First post, first scratch build and first question.... I R Grunt Hand Launch 2 Nov 16, 2011 07:47 PM
Discussion My First Wing, and My First Scratch Build Shazbot996 Flying Wings 9 Aug 25, 2007 06:33 AM