Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, TX, Hurst
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Shared components: E-Flite Nieuport & Electrifly Spad?

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but hoping someone more experienced can help me. Iíve just received the E-Flite Nieuport 17 250 ARF and Iím really stoked about building it. This is my first ďkitĒ plane: Up Ďtil now all Iíve ever flown are BNFís basically straight out of the box (Iím not inexperienced with model building though). Iíd really like to start putting together my own planes with my own electronics.

Hereís my question: After I cut my teeth on the Nieuport, I want to get the Great Planes Electrifly Spad XIII. Iíve discovered the RX, ESC, motor, servos, ect... get pricey real quick and I want to know what compenents can I use for BOTH planes?
chakotay is offline Find More Posts by chakotay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:08 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,377 Posts
It looks like none of the power system components (motor, ESC, battery, prop) will be easily compatible with both planes. The Nieuport is a very light indoor-type foamie whereas the Spad, despite the similar size, is intended to be a much heavier and more powerful parkflyer.

The receiver and servos will probably be pretty interchangeable, but that's about it.

HOWEVER.... Don't waste your money on the recommended gear for the Spad. Most of Electrifly's power system components are massively overpriced for what they are. This ESC, for example, is less than half the price of the recommended one but will work exactly the same (and even run cooler due to its higher current rating). A motor for that plane can be had for as little as $10-20, and a battery won't cost more than $15. Servos are ~$3 each.

These links are just the tip of the iceberg; going with cheaper equipment from HobbyKing or similar could easily put you under $40 for everything (except a receiver).
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, TX, Hurst
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Thanks CH. Even if I can swap the servos and receiver, it'll save me $. However, couldn't I use the higher-rated 25AMP ESC (recommended for the Spad) on the Nieuport? Is it a problem with size/weight?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
That electrify spad is the same as my hobby king spad, with only a couple minor hardware changes I believe. Your looking at the balsa/covered spad? I can give you my set up if it is.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, TX, Hurst
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Underthetire, how much are you looking for it?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Not trying to sell. I was just going to tell you what hardware I used that's much cheaper. Mine is still a hanger queen.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire