SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Tried to DS at a Dam using Euro bottom style and failed?

So I laid out my bungee and launched on my nosehook on the back side of the local dam at the bottom and could not get the orbits to sustain- bummed..

I was standing at the bottom of the dam on the backside.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? It works just fine here when you stand on top looking over the guardrail...
Directions is offline Find More Posts by Directions
Last edited by Directions; Jan 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:12 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,682 Posts
I would guess that you want quite a bit of wind and a thick forest to get enough of a shear going with trees. There are lines of trees near where I live that are begging to be DS'd, but when you go behind them the wind just filters through at full speed since there is just one row.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:50 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
908 Posts
They're not dam trees?
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,201 Posts
Probably just a matter of perspective if you were able to make it work just fine from the top. Its easier to know where to make the top turn when you're standing right at the guardrail...

Did the bungee give you the same initial dive in height as you had when trying from the top? My guess is that if you had another set of hands, you could stand off to the side and closer to the base of the dam while your buddy let the plane go. This would give you better depth perception and help you place the turns in the right spots. Maybe you could bring a video camera with you next time. Surely we could spot the problem...
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:47 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,393 Posts
Hey, Ive tried dam/ bungey DS with some pretty good success. I stand at the top of the hill though and just launch at a cross wind angle. You would think it would blow the model sideways but I didnt have much problem. It was a light model and light wind, so not much wind to blow it off course, and I only use a very short bungee so I dont have to walk back very far. Now you can have the best of both worlds- stand at the top where you can normally do, and also bungee launch.
Give it a go, it might help.
Cheers
Josh
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Hey, Ive tried dam/ bungey DS with some pretty good success. I stand at the top of the hill though and just launch at a cross wind angle. You would think it would blow the model sideways but I didnt have much problem. It was a light model and light wind, so not much wind to blow it off course, and I only use a very short bungee so I dont have to walk back very far. Now you can have the best of both worlds- stand at the top where you can normally do, and also bungee launch.
Give it a go, it might help.
Cheers
Josh
I know thats works well, but I am more of a bottom feeder.

Where I live there are no mountains so you have to fly super low on the back side so thats why I prefer the bottom.

One day I got a treeline on top of a wide 10-20ft hill to work once- yea only once for 25 seconds. A thermal was on the front side and reshaped the flow to make it perfect for mind boggling speed. Once the thermal was gone the shape of the flow went back to zero boost. I did not get any laps after that day and I have tried that spot for months.
Directions is offline Find More Posts by Directions
Last edited by Directions; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,505 Posts
How far is your closest hill ??? Or hills??
I'd start driving further , better return for time invested..
Our best spots here are 2 or 3 hours away , and we have a few about an hour.
Where do you live ??

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:16 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,682 Posts
Isn't the "Euro Bottom Turn Style" where they dive at their heads rather than pull up at their heads? Gutsy!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:47 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
997 Posts
i underst what you mean as i fly small dams with big wind also. since the dam is like 50 ft high and not tall i have to keep tight to the backside and the bigest problem i have had is hitting the bottom when making them realy fast laps trying to gain even more speed and wanting to stay in the good air and go biger the bottom or valley just gets in the dang road. lol

i am thinking the next time i go out i will fly as far back and high as posible in the front side air then walk half way down the hill then dive in.

if i had a bungy i would try what you are doing but instead stake it at the top lip then walk down and shoot the plane up the backside. might be pretty risky though. lol but might work.

my guess is you are not penetrating the front side air as it would be more difficult to see the top from the bottom as is the bottom from the top.

later andrew K
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Last edited by 57sailplane; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:55 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
I would imagine it's hard to DS while you're under-water.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
997 Posts
lmao,

ya i had to reread my remark but ya no diving into the lake just dive the plane into the back side.. lol
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane