Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:25 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
Discussion
Gorilla glue?

http://menards.com/main/home-decor/o...984-c-7176.htm

Whats your thought on this? I want to use this on FFF.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:28 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
I love that stuff. I'm building a 1/7th F-16 from fanfold over in pusher jets forum and white Gorilla glue is almost the only glue I'm using.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:43 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
the fast cure gorilla glue works well on most foams ....the one that epxy has proplems with the GG works great ...glad to see you are building cooler
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:10 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
the fast cure gorilla glue works well on most foams ....the one that epxy has proplems with the GG works great ...glad to see you are building cooler
And enquiring
Regards and best wishes Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:05 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,943 Posts
Luv GG.

I've just about given up on epoxy since I learnt the tricks to applying it so it don't make a mess.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:43 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
And enquiring
Regards and best wishes Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Luv GG.

I've just about given up on epoxy since I learnt the tricks to applying it so it don't make a mess.
Stupot46 This may shed some light on my next folly http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=23

Boogie_ any tips you wold like to share?

For several compelling reasons I had to put my Sabre build on the back burner for now.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:14 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,943 Posts
Quote:
Boogie_ any tips you wold like to share?
Nothing new really, just stuff I picked up here on RCG.

I use a popsicle stick to lay a very thin layer on each surface. A very thin layer. No puddles.
Dampen one side with your finger before gluing if you want it to set up really fast.
Tape over the glue joint and you will have no foam out. GG doesn't seem to push against the parts when expanding, it just fills the gaps. It will stop at the tape.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:48 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,265 Posts
Recently.. 'here', in one of the forums 'someone' went to the surprising trouble of testing our typically used glues.
Memorable upshot was that silly stoopid white glue seriously outperformed Gorilla glue at pretty well everything :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:07 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Nov 2011
130 Posts
If you use the 'white' Gorilla glue , it sets faster good for foam/depron/balsa . The trick is to be aware when the curing process kicks off and smear anything bubbling up back down into the seams,the adhesion is excellent. The regular 'PU' Gorilla glue I use to re-adhere the composite jet ply to glass is very strong , butB messy to work with with a longer cure/watch time.Water is the accelerator for either product , but I usually let mine sit overnight.Both do exactly as advertised but they should be watched during cure.
Rocketboy1030 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketboy1030
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
All great tips. How many times have we all read a thread, and not payed to much attention to it? That is until you have the need for the info, you didn't think you would need! Guilty!

Right now, I have a bundle of Owens-Corning FFF in the other room calling my name, but I must resist. My plans are not quit finished yet!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:19 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Recently.. 'here', in one of the forums 'someone' went to the surprising trouble of testing our typically used glues.
Memorable upshot was that silly stoopid white glue seriously outperformed Gorilla glue at pretty well everything :-)

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...316.853239.jpg

I've just done the same thing.I'm about to start sheeting a foam wing for the first time,and was curious to see which gave best adhesion.You can see what happened to the GG(a clone,but this same thing has happened with the real one) The expansion lifted the steel blocks and they slid sideways.
The epoxy seemed best,GG a close second.
I think you need to use less of this than you would with other glues- and keep an eye on it
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,125 Posts
For laminating sheets of foam - I usually use PVA furniture glue ... silly white glue as another called it. Why ? It does not expand, it fills holes / dents, it does not eat any foam or material, it wipes of with damp cloth. It stays flexible without drying to brittle form ... allows lamination to still bend round formers.

But I have just ordered a bottle of GG to give it a trial and see if it replaces my usual inventory of 5 min Epoxy, Hot Glue and PVA.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:53 AM
USA, IN, Norman
Joined Nov 2007
168 Posts
Fantastic. I really like using white glue on foam to foam. When it comes to anything I fly outdoors in the heat or moisture I use the regular Gorilla PU glue.

You just have to keep your parts securely pressed together while it cures. I keep lots of old text books around for that.

Regarding the mess, when applying it I put small beads down and spread it thinly with old credit cards (anything flat and semi-flexible). Just work fast. Keep the glue thin and the parts pressed together and the amount to escape will be very small.

I also use latex gloves when using gorilla glue. I actually use latex for anytime I'm working with ANY adhesives, paints, greases or other. Both for the prevention of absorption but also just making it easier to clean up when I'm done.
RCB1 is offline Find More Posts by RCB1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:34 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
http://menards.com/main/home-decor/o...984-c-7176.htm

Whats your thought on this? I want to use this on FFF.
I built my Russian LFI-S21 with nothing but the original Gorilla Glue. The yellow stuff that foams up. Works great and sands easily. be careful with how you wet the surfaces and applying the glue. If you get the surface wet then place the glue bottle onto that wet surface you will make a mess of your glue bottle nozzle. It will foam up and seal the bottle. What I do is apply the glue to the surface then dab your finger into water and then dab onto the glue.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
Thanks for the tips and tricks. I have used lots of different glues over the years, just not GG, and they all seem to have there own "best" way to be used.

I guess you can " teach an old dog new tricks".