HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Help!
Correct Prop/esc/battery combo for Het 2w-23

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a good setup for a Het 2w-23 to run on prop please?

I intend to use it in a funjet ultra which at the minute runs on a scorpion HK2 2221-6 motor and 60 amp esc on 3 cell 60-80c lipo and 4.75x 4.75 giving 130mph.

I have just purchased the Het motor as an experiment really to see if it will be faster?

I would like it to run on 6s if possible and have a good range of high speed blades and a spare Turnigy Plush 80 amp sitting on the bench. Just dont want to just 'bung it together and see what happens' as I believe these motors dont last too long if its wrong.

The Funjet Airframe is in tip top condition with an uprated carbon spar and Hitec 5065mg servos on the elevons.

Any input is grately appreciated.
Brianlon is offline Find More Posts by Brianlon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
No-one got any ideas??

I cant find anywhere to say if these motors work on 6s. Only info I can find is 4.7x4.7 on 5s nominal 850 watts. Thats it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
Pelagicide
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
465 Posts
Why not use a 6s with the Scorpion 2221-6 ? It's rated to 6s as well. I've been using that motor and a 6s 1350 Kong Power lipo on my 450 sized heli and it kicks butt! I have a 1/2 completed FunJet, now that I see what speeds your getting I may just "borrow" it from the heli and use the same 6s lipos. The ESC I've been using with the heli is a Scorpion Commander II 30 amp, also rated to 6s, and it runs just fine. I am curious to see how many amps it really is pulling - waiting for HK to deliver my new watt meter and then we'll see.
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Your running 6s on a 22-21 6!! how is it not fried?? have alook on this link. Its from the scorpion site.

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...k22/HK-2221-6/

says max cell count 3s

I have a 50 amp esc on mine on 3s and it pulls 66 amp and gives 892 watts. Even that wattage is way above the motor specs.

I am going to order a 5s from hobbyking this week with the HET motor and use a plush 80 esc and just see what I get on a 4.7x4.7
It says on the HET site that it has 870 watts of power but it should have alot more RPM than the scorpion.

I'll keep you posted on my findings.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:41 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
The HET motors are in the ecalc database. You'll get close enough to ballpark results to not fry your motor straight off.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
wow thats a cool little bit of kit!

Never seen that before. Most of my motors are on there and just checked some of them and it says nearly all are over limits!

They never seem hot or the batteries glowing tho.

I put the scorpion set up in and its almost the same as I get except the power out pot is a bit lower on here. Still.... a good tool to get a near as bench mark.

Thankyou.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
what do you think of this set up using this data on the site. ( I know there are a few warning appear but they should be fine?)

Battery Lipo 3700 55-80c 5s1p
esc max 80
het 2w 23
prop 4.7x4.7 apc electric 2 blade

elevation 200
air temp 20 degrees c (bit optimistic for british weather I know!!)
1008 hPa
Model weight 1000g

Have alook please and see if you think I will be onto a winner.

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:57 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
It's your motor.. if you want to fry it go ahead.. DriveCalc computes more than 70A with 4.7x4.7 on 5s... the motor is rated for 50A.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:53 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
It's your motor.. if you want to fry it go ahead.. DriveCalc computes more than 70A with 4.7x4.7 on 5s... the motor is rated for 50A.
Interesting. Ecalc has it at 70A max and Kv=2850. HET says Kv=2950 and 75A max, but not to use full throttle for more than 30 secs. Bit of a mishmash of data.

Similar size Neus (1110) are rated for around the same power as the HETs, so it's not impossible it would manage at around 70A - but that was only at full charge and will drop off to around 55a pretty quickly.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
I also noticed the Kv was different on the calc.

Bugger it.... I got the motor cheap enough. only 16. If i use good throttle management it should (fingers crossed) be ok. I thinK??

I will order the battery today and will post on my findings.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:24 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianlon View Post
I also noticed the Kv was different on the calc.

Bugger it.... I got the motor cheap enough. only 16. If i use good throttle management it should (fingers crossed) be ok. I thinK??

Run a few searches on HET 2W 23 prop and see what you find. there's plenty of happy sounding posts with 4S and 800W plus. 6S - nada
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:29 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts

Did you happen to order a Wattmeter as well... that would be really useful!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
465 Posts
Hmmm... well I feel pretty stupid. Do you have information for the 2221-1630 HKII? That is the motor I was referring to. I do know that the 30amp HK Commander II ESC IS rated to 6s - it says so right on it.
I have sent an email to Lucien at Innov8tiveDesigns, as he is a Scorpion guru - that and the Cobra's are the only motors he carries. Will post the result when he replies.

I never had a problem with my helli though - seriously - And that included full throttle straight up power takeoffs .... if it weren't rated to 6s lipos, I would imagine I would have had a fried motor and ESC.

I will wait for the definitive answer - as I'm referring to a different motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 PM
Pelagicide
Joined Oct 2010
465 Posts
Here it is straight from Innov8tive Designs website. Do a search for 2221-1630. Appears I'm not as stupid as portrayed.
Scorpion HK-2221-1630 V2
[HK-2221-1630] $79.99

Click to enlarge
Here it is, the new V2 series HK-2221-1630 motor, specifically designed for 6-cell Li-Po power in your 450 class electric helicopter. This motor was developed to take advantage of the new high voltage set-ups that are currently being used for increased power and efficiency in your electric powered helicopter. Improvements include better cooling with the integrated centrifugal blower fan, higher efficiency with a new stator design and a new threaded-on flux ring for more solid construction.

Scorpion HK Series Brushless Motors are built from the best materials available, and are designed to provide both quality and performance at an affordable price. Scorpion starts with high quality aluminum alloy parts that are produced on the latest CNC milling machines. These parts are then gold Electro-Coated to provide a beautiful, long-lasting finish. The stators are made with 0.2mm laminations to give maximum efficiency, and minimum Eddy current losses. The stators are epoxy coated to prevent shorts, and are wound with wire that is rated at 180 degrees C (356 F). The magnets used in Scorpion Motors are N-50EH style, which are rated for operation at 200 degrees C (392 F), making a motor that is virtually impossible to burn up in normal use.

All Scorpion HK Series 22mm motors come with 3.5mm male Bullet style connectors already attached, and include a hardware package that contains 3 matching female Bullet connectors for your speed controller, heatshrink to cover the bullet connectors and mounting screws. Since the HK series motors are primarily designed for Helicopter and Ducted Fan use, they do not include a prop adapter. If you intend on running a prop on this motor, you will need to purchase a prop adapter for a 3.17mm shaft (1/8 inch). You can order the 3.17mm Prop Adapter here on our website.

Scorpion Motors are built to last, and are backed with a 2-Year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. However, due to the high RPM of these motors, and the fact that we cannot control the installation and setup, the bearings are not covered by the 2-Year warranty, nor is any subsequent damage caused to the motor by a bearing failure. Bearings are a normal wear item, and as such, need to be maintained and changed periodically. For maximum life, make sure that a sufficient gap is left between the pinion and main gear during motor installation to avoid binding, and put a small drop of oil on each bearing every 5-6 flights. It is the responsibility of the pilot to ensure that the bearings are maintained properly.

The Scorpion Motor Bearing Lubrication Kit is now available for maintaining the bearings in your helicopter motor. To view this product, please check out the Bearing Lubrication Kit.

If you need mounting screws for this motor, please check out our selection of Motor Mounting Screws.

For the best overall combination of quality, performance, and value, use Scorpion Motors in your helicopter!

Specifications

Stator Diameter ............................ 22.0 mm (0.866 in)
Stator Thickness ........................... 21.0 mm (0.827 in)
No. of Stator Arms ................................................. 9
No. of Magnet Poles ................................................ 6
Motor Wind ............................................. 10 Turn Wye
Motor Wire ...................... 13-Strand 0.21mm (31 AWG)
Motor Kv ........................................... 1630 RPM / Volt
No-Load Current (Io) ................. 0.71 Amps @ 10 volts
Motor Resistance (Rm) ............................. 0.079 Ohms
Max Continuous Current ............................... 25 Amps
Max Continuous Power ................................ 530 Watts
Weight .......................................... 79 Grams (2.79oz)
Outside Diameter .......................... 27.9 mm (1.097 in)
Shaft Diameter ............................. 3.17 mm (0.125 in)
Body Length ................................. 37.9 mm (1.492 in)
Overall Shaft Length ...................... 58.7 mm (2.311 in)

So, I stand by my original statement.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by joe_crash; Jan 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add text
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:20 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
Here it is straight from Innov8tive Designs website. Do a search for 2221-1630. Appears I'm not as stupid as portrayed.
Scorpion HK-2221-1630 V2
[HK-2221-1630] $79.99

So, I stand by my original statement.

...Why not use a 6s with the Scorpion 2221-6 ? It's rated to 6s as well. I've been using that motor and a 6s 1350 Kong Power lipo on my 450 sized heli and it kicks butt! I have a 1/2 completed FunJet, now that I see what speeds your getting I may just "borrow" it from the heli and use the same 6s lipos. The ESC I've been using with the heli is a Scorpion Commander II 30 amp, also rated to 6s, and it runs just fine. I am curious to see how many amps it really is pulling - waiting for HK to deliver my new watt meter and then we'll see....
6x1630=9780
4*2850=11400

The Scorpion on 6S is a significantly milder proposition than the HET on 4S