HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:38 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Question
LIPO cycling after storage?? no power now, bad batt?

I have an older lipo I haven't used for 2 weeks but it was charged the whole time. I know, I'm an idiot. My question is, I went to use this battery today and it seems worn out now, I lose power fast. Do you think this battery is toast or is it possible I just have to cycle it a handful of times? I've never worried about cycling my lipos, and other than a few things I've heard, I didn't think I had to. It's totally possible also that the lipo is just worn, I have about 200 flights on it and I'm sure leaving it charged for 2 weeks didn't help any.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,703 Posts
200 cycles = probably worn out. Some of the best get 275'ish so buy another any do more of the same.
Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,183 Posts
Cycling doesn't help lithium. That's for Nixx chemistries.
That one is toast. Discharge to zero and dispose.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Cool thanks, that's what I figured, it's a Skylipo. The other Skylipo I had only lasted about 150 flights. I probably abused them both keeping them charged for too long sitting. But it was somewhat worth it to always have a charged batt while learning helis. I take care of my newer gensace's batts though now.

I've heard of some people breaking in new lipo packs with cycles, while most say it's not necessary, I have seen the power difference in a lipo after about 5 charges. I still don't cycle though.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
The lifespan of a LiPo depends on time and number of cycles, among other things. They do improve after a couple of cycles, but cycling them, rather than simply flying them, is simply wasting some of their potential life, in my opinion.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,240 Posts
If you got 150-200 cycles out of a Sky Lipo I would be very happy and call it done.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Earlier today I started killing this battery with a headlamp setup. It's a 11.1v 2200mah btw. It basically took it down to 0v the first time but rebound to 3.33v. Didn't puff, only got slightly warm. I put it on the headlamp for a while longer and after it was 0v but it's still rebounding slowly. I've done a discharge with a 1s before no problem, soldered the leads afterwards (no spark). Is this 3s battery ready to do the same and dispose? Any advice? I'm not a fan of messing with lipos but want to safe it off.

Also I have another one that's 1000mah that's puffed pretty bad, and I seem to get unreliable readings from the balance plug. Should I try to discharge it? The discharge would be about 2c from the same setup as I used on the 2200mah batt, is this correct? Would that be safe?
Last edited by finguz; Jan 19, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Some of the best get 275'ish so buy another any do more of the same.
malonkevio is offline Find More Posts by malonkevio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malonkevio View Post
Some of the best get 275'ish so buy another any do more of the same.
I hear an echo - is there a problem with my computer?
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite