HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, West York
Joined Aug 2008
169 Posts
Help!
Top Flite Vintage Cessna 172 30" span for cox 020

Hi all,
I need some help please. A mate of mine ( Phil G) and I run a vintage model radio museum ( www.singlechannel.co.uk )
I have recently acquired the above vintage kit but it is missing the plan and I want to build and fly it with one of Phils ,2.4g single channel encoders and use it a a display piece when we give talks to clubs.

There was also a free booklet included by Ken Willard on single channel flying . It would be great to have a copy of that as well.

Shaun
2.4g shaun is offline Find More Posts by 2.4g shaun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:27 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think this kit did not include a plan. Just building isometric sketches because of high degree prefabrication which did not call for a full size plan for building. This was customary with some Top Flite kits I remember the Kwik Fli Mk III (My favourite RC plane of all times!! Check my photo at left with my Kwik Fli and Paloma my daughter, circa 1992!!! I still have the Kwik Fli in flying condition and Paloma is 22!!)They put out a kit in 1968 after Phil Kraft was World RC aerobatics champion in Corsica, 1967 with this model. The kit did not include a plan and the amount of protests received by Top Flite was so high that they decided to include a full size plan. Another long gone company called VECO made some very classic kits like the Dakota , Squaw, Comanche etc. No full size plans were included making the building much more delicate and difficult.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2008
169 Posts
Thanks for that.. I have had kits like that but also I have had a number of Top Flite kits of this size with full sized plans.

I will be able to sort it but it would be nice to have sight of the proper info..

Still hoping someone can come through.

Many Veron kits had plans and multiple isometric diags & sketches showing assembly of the more complex components. I believe they were the first UK manufacturer to do this..

As you said, Graupner used this technique with many of their plans.

regards

Shaun
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:04 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
You are right, Top Flite made some kits with plans, some without them. Stupid policy. Kits should always include full size plans. As far as I know, Graupner always included plans with isometric drawings. These German kits are not so popular here in Colombia because, being German, they come out very expensive after transportation and import duties. If you ever get the Top Flite Cessna plan, if available, I would like a copy. Thanks!!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2004
364 Posts
Check out this old thread, dgliderguy still may have the plans. Russ Farris

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45.../tm.htm#455132
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Aug 2008
169 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm sure I'll get there in the end..

While I'm in foraging mode, has anybody got any useable Adams or similar and Galloping Ghost Actuators they would be prepared to part with please.
We have a number of Galloping Ghost and Pulse Propo sets in the museum collection that need them so we can show them working again.
Have a look on our website www.singlechannel.co.uk or my YouTube channel that shows videos of many types of vintage sets working and describes their operation.
Oh... my youtube name is Aeromodeller .
Vintage Pulse Proportional ( Simpl Simul ) Model Radio Control Part 1 (4 min 57 sec)

Cheers

Shaun
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:18 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
I have the complete kit and here's a photo of the plans.

I could have copies made if you can tell me how to get them to you.

Steve
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:05 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
I was wrong!! The kit did include full size plans. All you have to do is get it scanned at any shop that has big scanning service. Tell them to scan at 300dpi and at grey scale. No colours. Then you can either post it here or you can send it to my email which is edubarca1946@gmail.com. Also, you can post it on outerzone,co.uk. Thanks!!!!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
169 Posts
Hi Mlbco,

Thanks for posting the pictures. That's a great help .

If you have a scanner, could scan the booklet and email it please.
My email is museum@garritys.net.

Re the plan, If you have the time to get it scanned and email it to me, I would be happy to reimburse the cost via paypal.

The other option would be to get the plan copied and mail it to me, again , if you have the time, it would be greatly appreciated and I'll reimburse the cost..

Looking at the photo, there is enough info to build it though.

Thanks

Shaun
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:35 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Hi Shaun, As promised, photos of the bits I've got. I wouldn't mind hanging on to one of the small red actuators for my own future use but you are quite welcome to all or some of what there is here. Let me know if any of it is any use to you and I'll stick it in the post for you. Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2008
169 Posts
That is brilliant, everything and anything is useful, working or not for the museum.

Its amazing how fragile old plastic is and how it degrades. I've had escapements literally fall to bits while demonstrating them (at our talks ),on a test rig.
My biggest surprise was an OS single channel actuator, even though it was new old stock, the gears just split in two after a few mins operation..
We now only use the demo rigs that we have spare actuators etc for, so the less common working examples can be retained for viewing. .

If you could PM me your tel no ,I can give you a ring and sort out payment etc or if you prefer, email me with the details please.

Its a few years since I have been to the Pizza Hut (near Freemantle Harbour I seem to remember).. Their breakfast ones were legendary. I wonder if it's still there? Yeah.. Breakfast Pizza, a packet of chilli chocolate Tim Tams and a Tooheys Extra Dry sipper.. the perfect way to start your day !!

Thanks again .

Shaun
Last edited by 2.4g shaun; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM.