HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:30 PM
AndyK
Joined Feb 2013
23 Posts
Wiring a BEC between Gimabal servos and Naza?

I'm a newbee. One more question...

You recommend upgrading the stock BEC on the Phantom when using your gimbal. Which would you recommend? Will your 2nd video show this upgrade?
aktv is offline Find More Posts by aktv
Last edited by aktv; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:17 AM
Ireland, Kerry, Tralee
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
We will start accepting pre-orders for the wide mount 2/13 and start shipping 2/17.
We will have final pics of the wide mount 2/13.
how's is it coming along tony ?
Johnopyro is offline Find More Posts by Johnopyro
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:09 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktv View Post
I'm a newbee. One more question...

You recommend upgrading the stock BEC on the Phantom when using your gimbal. Which would you recommend? Will your 2nd video show this upgrade?
We will do a tutorial video showing how to hook up a BEC and we will offer a BEC/wire harness already soldered up so the customer just has to plug in the servo extensions and solder a +/- to the aux power wires on the phantom.

Servos run faster and have more torque at 6v compared to the 5v you will get just plugging into the Naza so a BEC will give you a little better results.

Our harness w/2 servo extensions and a BEC will be $25 and we will have a link on the PhantoMount page this week.

@Johnopyro
I had 2 guys out with the flu for 2 days so that put us behind a day
We will post pics in this thread later today.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:45 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,075 Posts
Here are some pics of the PhantoMount X2 Wide 2-axis gimbal
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Z06 Tony; Feb 15, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:15 AM
Ireland, Kerry, Tralee
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Here are some pics of the PhantoMount X2 Wide 2-axis gimbal
looks nice tony. is the widest you will go & when will be able to order this ?
Johnopyro is offline Find More Posts by Johnopyro
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnopyro View Post
looks nice tony. is the widest you will go & when will be able to order this ?
We will list them on the site Mon 2/18 and ship Thur 2/21.

I dont think we can go much wider.

I will measure the camera tray width Sat.

This mount will also mount to the F450 with an Adapter plate we will sell.
We still have to finalize the F550 top plate.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
It seems a few of us have bricked our Phantoms installing this gimbal, comments at:

w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=zD9r1I-zaBo&feature=share&list=UUCna4UfaNWblg1a6QwYP_Fg

Has anyone here had this issue / resolved the Naza problem...
PivkoBeer is offline Find More Posts by PivkoBeer
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
165 Posts
I would LOVE to have a fix for this. Spending $250 for the privilege of killing a $250 Naza is a tad expensive. Not to mention my lost income as I had six jobs lined up which required aerial images.
Oztravels is offline Find More Posts by Oztravels
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:34 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
I just recently ordered your short mount gimbal, and was wondering what your fly times have been using the gimbals? I recently had a cheap $25 gimbal that I bought from www.goodluckbuy.com, and my fly times were cut down to 4 minutes! I found that my phantom fully loaded and ready for flight weighed in at 1.05kg. And if I remember correctly the recommended maximum load for the Phantom is 1kg. The weight of the gimbal that I was using (without camera) is 98g, your gimbal is 127g! The gimbal that I was using was also made out of aluminum, and yours is carbon fiber? 127g seems a little heavy for carbon fiber? Now it is possible that the scale I was using could be off as well.

So, I would really be interested in what your fly times are, you mentioned that you were going to try and do some timed flights once weather had cleared up, have you had any luck with the weather yet?

I have attatched some pictures of the gimbal I have been using, and as you can see, it's much bulkier than your CF one. I would also be interested in knowing flight times with the larger battery, or using two 3S 2200 batteries.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Since my last post I did some battery flight tests, and it looks like my short flying times are due to old batteries. I really need to start monitoring my batteries I guess. I have no idea how many cycles these batteries have. But here are the results:

With no camera, using stock battery: 8m 44s

Using a 1yr old Turnigy (suspected bad battery), no camera: 4m 40s

Using a 1yr old E-flight, with GoPro and Gopro Housing: 6m 22s

There is clearly a difference if fly times, especially with regards to the two flights I did with stock battery and the Turnigy, with no camera. So I'm guessing the 1yr old Turnigy battery is bad. I haven't charged them up yet to see how many miliamps are charged back into the battery yet. So, I'm going to order some new batteries tonight, and hope to have them by Friday.

I did not do a flight test with the gimbal setup that I have due to time restraints, but once I get the CF gimbal (hopefully in a day or two) I'll compare the weight of the CF gimbal, and the aluminum gimbal that I currently have, then I hope to do some test flights for flying times using both gimbals, and new batteries.

I am still interested in what your flying times have been using your CF gimbal, and I would also like to know what flying times are with a larger battery, and or 2 batteries in parallel. I know that with the gimbal and larger batteries your weight could be over the 1kg recommended max fly weight. So again, please reply and let me know.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm still using stock blades, will changing those to a different blade also help with flying times?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
More people having problems with Phanto mounts killing Nazas, no reply from RC-drones, avoid this product or make an expensive mistake.

Details of the problem:

PhantoMount X2 Isssue (0 min 31 sec)

There were comments on RC-drones installation video asking for help, he has seen them and now hidden and disabled comments.

Not good practise...
PivkoBeer is offline Find More Posts by PivkoBeer
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PivkoBeer View Post
There were comments on RC-drones installation video asking for help, he has seen them and now hidden and disabled comments.

Not good practise...
I agree, not good practice at all, and it appears that they have started to ignore this thread as well, I still have had no response to my questions about their fly times either.

I ordered one a few days ago, and should be getting it soon, I have half a mind to send it back unopened and ask for a refund, just on the grounds of poor customer support.

With that said, I can't seem to figure out how the gimbal system fries the Naza? It's just a couple of servos, and the NAZA is designed for a gimbal setup? I guess it is possible that a bad servo could could have fried it, if it it was shorted. I did see the comment posted on the video about smoke coming from the servo. Or, it could be possible that the NAZA was faulty as well.

Did it happen right after installing the gimbal? Or after using it for a few flights? I have been using a different gimbal (as seen in my previous post) and it's worked fine, except for shorter flight times, which I later figured out was due to old batteries.

Hopefully they will see these posts, and do the right thing and support their product!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
I just tried going to www.rc-drones.com and now it looks like the web page is down.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PivkoBeer View Post
More people having problems with Phanto mounts killing Nazas, no reply from RC-drones, avoid this product or make an expensive mistake.

It's unclear to me how plugging 2 R/C servos into NAZA outputs designed for R/C servos is going to kill a NAZA, unless you have serious binding, stall the servos, and attempt to draw excessive current from the built in BEC, or you have a defective BEC.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,032 Posts
If you guys suspect that the Gimbal setup is killing the Naza unit just hook the servos up to a separate RX and test. I still don't get it how hooking up servos to the Naza will fry it. Only way is if the wires were shorted out (maybe causes by the carbon cutting into the wire?), serperate BEC was hooked up wrong and fried the Naza (actually if using a separate BEC if should not be hooked up to the Naza). Hooking up the servos wrong (reverse) should not kill the Naza M as I have already did that and nothing happened.

From the video the LED indicator does not even come on. I'm think the DJI BEC unit is done for or maybe it's not attatched
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS