HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
I DESIGN QUADCOPTERS
Joined Apr 2012
761 Posts
that pretty good but at the price of my gopro 3 I prefer that my cam stay in the plastic casing
you should rework the design a bit , gopro 3 are expensive you get a crash you want minimum protection
and find smaller servo keep the weight down
saskya is online now Find More Posts by saskya
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:16 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGuy View Post
Can you tell me which of the GoPro camera's you used, and at what settings? I am very impressed with the footage.

Also, does anyone know what weight the Phantom can carry with this gimbal installed. In other words, can we use other camera's?

Thanks

Darren
(1st timer - be kind )
We used a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition.
I think it was set to 1080 60fps wide.

Once we get a decent day we will shoot more videos.
Wind has been up to 40mph the other day.

I am hoping within the next few days as we will be putting the 2-axis up for pre-order in the next day or 2.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:59 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
that pretty good but at the price of my gopro 3 I prefer that my cam stay in the plastic casing
you should rework the design a bit , gopro 3 are expensive you get a crash you want minimum protection
and find smaller servo keep the weight down
We are releasing 4 gimbals total for the Phantom.

1-Axis Narrow
1-Axis Wide
2-Axis Narrow
2-Axis Wide

The wide will be wide enough for the case or GoPro AV out cable.

The wide versions will not fit underneath so they will stick out more and get more prop wash over the camera.

We tried the micro servos and the results were not as good.
When we get a chance we will test a few more micro servos.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
I am intrigued by the two axis gimbal. Do you think it would work on a TBS Discovery... perhaps the long flat piece could attach to the bottom of the Disco? (It seems it would put the weight pretty far forward though.) Maybe attached on the top and pushed back some would work better. I didn't see the pre-order info on your site.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:35 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,952 Posts
Hey Tony you shoud try the JR 287mg servos. They're fast, but the downside is they only have 16oz or torque. but for a gopro camera that should be more than enough
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Yes I forgot to flip it around.
We like it with the tray upside down and the GoPro mounted upside down.
Then the lens is in the middle but lower and farther away from the props/arms.
I will take some pics to show it can be mounted both ways and keep the lens centered.
So to centre lens Gopro has to be up side down? is there any way to please motor on other side of gimbal?(mirrored design)
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Hello all,
I'll start off stating that I am new to all of this. I believe I have a list of everything that I need for my Phantom, but I had some questions as to how this gimbal is controlled. I realize that with the stock Phantom controller, it is impossible to remotely control the servos. I want to know where the brains for this device are. How is it controlled? Is it all built in or do I need something else that interfaces with it? Thank you very much for your help.

Jeremy
jeremy.mathis is offline Find More Posts by jeremy.mathis
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:22 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowek View Post
So to centre lens Gopro has to be up side down? is there any way to please motor on other side of gimbal?(mirrored design)
No the gimbal can be mounted either way and the camera will stay in the center.
Here are some pics-> http://rc-drones.com/rcd-phantomount-x2.php
We are now accepting pre-orders.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:26 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
I am intrigued by the two axis gimbal. Do you think it would work on a TBS Discovery... perhaps the long flat piece could attach to the bottom of the Disco? (It seems it would put the weight pretty far forward though.) Maybe attached on the top and pushed back some would work better. I didn't see the pre-order info on your site.
Yes I am sure you can attach it to just about anything.
We took a customers HexaKong XL-6S hex build and slid the mount between the battery and battery tray and was able to get this with no vibration dampening at all.->
Rc-Drones GoPro PhantoMount For DJI Phantom Mounted To HexaKong XL-6s CarbonCore HexaCopter (1 min 53 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:36 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.mathis View Post
Hello all,
I'll start off stating that I am new to all of this. I believe I have a list of everything that I need for my Phantom, but I had some questions as to how this gimbal is controlled. I realize that with the stock Phantom controller, it is impossible to remotely control the servos. I want to know where the brains for this device are. How is it controlled? Is it all built in or do I need something else that interfaces with it? Thank you very much for your help.

Jeremy
We will post a video tutorial that explains how to connect the gimbal to the buit-in stabilization in the Naza.
The easest way is to plug it into the F1 and F2 on the Naza and set the gains and level the camera.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:55 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Yes I am sure you can attach it to just about anything.
We took a customers HexaKong XL-6S hex build and slid the mount between the battery and battery tray and was able to get this with no vibration dampening at all.-
Tony, does this enable you to sell the MiniKong ARF with this mount with a RX100 attached to it?

Thanks
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:26 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Tony, does this enable you to sell the MiniKong ARF with this mount with a RX100 attached to it?

Thanks
Yes we will be adapting this mount to all our CarbonCore frames.
You will need the wider version for the RX100 though.
They will be released in less than 2 weeks.
Anything heavier will need 1 of our new belt driven pro mounts.

We have alot of new stuff in the works(not for the Phantom)that we will be releasing in the next few months.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:30 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
279 Posts
Hey Tony the version you posted before with the battery tray underneath the body is that still going to be released later?
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:45 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkioken View Post
Hey Tony the version you posted before with the battery tray underneath the body is that still going to be released later?
This version has the battery tray. Just like the pics in post #1.
All we did was move it back to get it farther away from the prop wash.
Battery tray will also have holes so customer can put the gimbal farther forward.
We will post much better pics Mon.
We were getting alot of E-mails asking when we would list it so we wanted to get it listed by Fri.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:10 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,437 Posts
Is this functionally different from the "Flamegear" gimbal you offer for the Flamewheel series?
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...