Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:25 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the Quick Junior plan...
Will try it with Depron wing/fuselage
The lipo/gear/motor setup is a good starting point for other 15 grams planes too I guess

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:20 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
The plan was Gordon's

That set up is great for anything 15g or less I would say.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Jan 16, 2004, 03:36 AM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Confused by names....

Gordon: Thanks for the plan
Graham: Thanks for the advice...I was thinking MicroIfo with elevons, will see...

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Jan 16, 2004, 05:48 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
I think the design was Gordon's and the plan was Billy's !

J.M. Quetin.
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Old Jan 18, 2004, 06:14 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Just to confuse things further the artwork for the plan was done by Billy, the plan was done By Gordon the tail surfaces were inspired by Ralph and the article was edited by Graham published by Jim and read by........
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:29 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
That is confusing.

Gordon had drawn up plans for all the foam and CF parts. He sent them to me and I traced the outlines with Rhino, added the parts and other stuff then done the text with Photoshop. It was an interesting and fun process. All credit for the design of the plane and plans goes to Gordon. Of course Gordon was inspired by the outlines of Ralph Bradley's Homeboy which was inspired by Bob Coon's Guided Mite. Where did the inspiration for the Guided Mite come from so we can get a bit more confused?

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Last edited by billystiltner; Jan 19, 2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:51 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
All I know is I'm very slow in Turbo CAD and it would have taken me a very long time to draw up the plans. Billy really helped me out a lot by drawing up the plans from quick hand tracings I did with a pen, scanned in and then emailed him. This left me time for other things like testing pager motors for an upcoming Inside Story. Clearly a group effort on the Quick Junior.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jan 20, 2004, 02:30 PM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Hi all,

if it's hard to figure out who has done what then it was probably a really good team work! This is how brainstorming works.

Regards, Jochen
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Jan 22, 2004, 05:48 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
I have a question about an article in the latest Inside story.

I'm in the planning stages of making an RFFS profile P47 based on Ralph Bradley's No-Cal FF plans. It is planned to be 16" wingspan and made of foam.

I read Peter Frostick's article about "Taming the Shrews" and I had a question about the horizontal stablizer. The FF plan has them titled down slightly. Peters article has an illustration of a P-51 with the stablizer parallel with the mainline of the body. Later in the article he suggests tweaking the leading edge down.

Here is the P-51 illustration:

Here is the other Illustration:

The Bradley plan has this tipped down elevator but I assumed it was a FF thing and it should be flat. Any insight as to whether or not I tilt the horizontal stabilizer?

Thanks,
Beaux
Beaux is offline Find More Posts by Beaux
Old Jan 22, 2004, 06:37 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
I'll make sure Peter knows of your question.

Graham
Old Jan 25, 2004, 04:11 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
697 Posts
Regarding the question about my No-Cal P-47. As a very lightly loaded Free Flight swinging a large slow turning prop, the angular difference between the wing and stab is necessary to get a good stable flight. Converting the model to an electric powered R/C model will definitely change the equation. In the R/C configuration you will be flying at a higher wing loading. You will also be using a smaller much higher revving prop. I would change the incidence of the stab to zero in this case. With that change the outlines from the plan should produce a nice flying profile electric powered R/C P-47.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:40 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2003
149 Posts
Thanks Paul,
I really appreciate your insight into this.
By the way, I moved to Austin from Houston this last summer. I had a great time at the Houston indoor sessions watching your free flight do their business. You do very beautiful work...and Ralph produces amazing stuff as well.

thanks,
James
Beaux is offline Find More Posts by Beaux
Old Jan 27, 2004, 08:17 AM
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Paul's Dreamer Embryo would make a nice R/C conversion I think
with a beefed up front end. You could use the lightest weight gear and make it a floater. I built one Free Flight when I first started building and it was the first rubber powered plane I had that would go vertical. I was amazed at how it would climb with a rubber band used to power it. Some of my first successful flights with bitcar stuff used Paul's Nocal prop with the bit gears.The sheet models would be a bit tougher conversions as well.
Of course they are fine models if left free flight too.

I found out after filing my magnetic tweezers that they were no longer completely non magnetic. The 1/16" x 1/32" magnets will stick to them a tiny bit. I guess sanding away the file residue might get rid of the effect.

Billy
Old Jan 28, 2004, 07:38 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
697 Posts
James - thanks for the kind words. I'm in the middle of a road trip and have not been able to check the Ezone on a regular basis, hence my tardy reply to your post. I hope you have lots of flying company in the Austin area.

Billy - The sheet models do make very nice electric R/C models. My Rascal 18 R/C gives me a lot of satisfaction when flown indoors or out. If I can find the time, I plan to also convert the Navion. As you also pointed out, the Dreamer should do well as an electric micro R/C model as well. It might be necessary to shorten the nose just a bit to get the model to balance.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Mar 02, 2004, 11:02 PM
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Update on my skeined coil wires.

It's kind of hard to do so I reckon coils with skeined ends might be more expensive than coils without but would probably be worth it.
I have dropped, crashed , pulled out etc accidently a lipoly that would get hung on my skeined leads on a .1g actuator. The solder joint would come loose and the leads have yet to break. This is only 4 strands of the thinnest wire anybody would care to work with. I rekon if the leads were a single strand then I would have had to make 4 or 5 more actuators by now.

Billy