HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:16 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
Question
Need help determining motor shaft size/replacement

Hi,

I recently crashed my Flyzone Beaver and as a result the shaft is slightly bent. I found a motor adapter replacement part (which was also bent), but nowhere can I find just the shaft to order. The specs of the motor are below. Can someone please help me figure out where/how/what I can get for a shaft replacement for this specific motor? Thank you all in advance.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LNCPGJ#tech
Mavs424 is offline Find More Posts by Mavs424
Last edited by Mavs424; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:15 AM
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
518 Posts
I have never seen 4.1 mm shafts until now, but 4mm are readily available. The difference in diameter is .0025 in. which may not matter at all. For length, just cut to whatever size you need, should work. My go to guy for parts is:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...fts/Categories
stemo99 is offline Find More Posts by stemo99
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:00 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
I too have not seen 4.1mm shafts listed before this ... plenty of excellent 4.0mm at RCTimer.com ... but no 4.1 - which for them is surprising as they cater for just about all ...

That 0.1mm is significant though ... try running a 3mm in a 3.17mm and yoú'll soon see ...

I would go back to Towerhobbies and quiz them for the replacement shaft ... If that fails - then try and find a Metalworks that maybe can run up a shaft for you ? Hardened steel of course.

There is another thought ... quite a few motors - the shaft IN the motor is different size to the EXTERNAL part of shaft ... i would be inclined to withdraw the old shaft ... get a micro and measure the INTERNAL diameter part ... it may be standard size ... then that's what you go for and ignore the external size by getting suitable adaptor for the new.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:08 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,480 Posts
It would appear to be, by the specs, "5/32", that the shaft is not metric at all. I would get some 5/32 drill rod, and make a new shaft out of that.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
Or ... if me ... get a similar motor capable of flying this model with standard metric available anywhere shafts ... for what is likely $20 max ... you could solve the issue once and for all with a more easily serviced solution.
You could in fact improve your model by adding a litttle to the power capability if wanted ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife