SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
935 Posts
Discussion
Rookie by Bill Winter

Bill Winter published the Rookie in Model Airplane News, Nov. 1962. Does anyone have the issue and if so, would you mind scanning and posting?

Years and years later he re-did it for an Enya 60 four stroke and published again in Model Builder. I have that one, but I'd love to see the older one.

It's an early low-wing plane with a 6 foot span and I guess it was a sort of a pattern trainer. Semi-symmetrical section, ailerons, very moderate dihedral. Kind of a nice old classic that was probably a simpler build than an Astro Hog or anything like that.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:22 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
I built the Rookie way back in 1982. It had an OS .61 engine, Futaba RC and covered with Monokote. At my elevation of 8.250 feet above sea level in Bogotá, its enormous wing made her fly beautifully. Very easy and stable yet it performed all the basic aerobatics. Stupidly, I sold it!!! Perhaps "one fine day" I'll build another with a Chinese ASP .61. Here's the plan and original article. Scan is not very good because I did it hastily. Good luck and greetings from Colombia!!!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:08 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
935 Posts
Thank you! Good luck and best wishes to you too.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:46 PM
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Sep 2012
848 Posts
Interesting that I ran across this post, as I'm going through a few old plans that my dad purchased in his life before having kids and I found the full plan page for the Rookie. Well, I only noticed it because the plan I am REALLY interested in is on half of the backside of the Rookie plan - a profile P-40 C/L that I'm looking at building as an RC flier. The Rookie reminds me of the T-6 Texan. Maybe I'll put this one on the list and look at building it some day.
Joker 53150 is offline Find More Posts by Joker 53150