Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:27 PM
www.unlimitedrc.co.uk
London
Joined Jul 2006
120 Posts
Discussion
Tuning the Cinestar 8 and DJI WKM

Alreet folks,

I'm trying to get this rig as stable as possible but it's not there yet and I'd really appreciate some help. This weekend I'm fitting a Zenmuse Z15. It will eventually be doing a ton of aerial filmography for commercial purposes and I want the rig to be stable for that sake, and not just mask over any bumpiness with the Z15. I would love to have your thoughts on where I am right now and what I can do. Here is some video from today...

...it starts out in GPS then kicks out to attitude only (as you can see from the LED). My hands are off the TX all the time. It was dead calm, not a breath of wind.

Cinestar 8 | DJI WKM | Gain tuning 2 (0 min 46 sec)

Struggling to get it really nice in attitude/GPS mode at the moment. As you can see it's bumping around a tad. Not sure sure if it's an oscillation or not as I've turned the gains down a fair bit.

Folks with similar rigs tend to be upward of 180 on gains but I've tuned mine to get the best performance I can and have ended up with 95 on the Atti gains, and between 110-130 on basic gains. 180-200 region on basic and atti gives bad oscillations. Turning the atti gains right down stopped it from over correcting rapidly when levelling. The lower gains further smooth the whole shabang out.

In manual it's lovely and I can fly around in manual (have done helis) but would like the other modes as smooth, shold I need to use them.

Setup:

Motors: QuadroPower QC 3328 http://www.quadrocopter.com/QuadroPo...328_p_392.html
ESC: ZTW 30 amp w/SimonK firmware
Props: APC 14 x 4.7 SF

I've calibrated the compass/GPS etc. Can take a pic of my install if required.

Any/every help appreciated guys! I'm going to continue tuning the gains and experimenting. Rock solid performance in atti/GPS would be great.
Shahid B is offline Find More Posts by Shahid B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:39 PM
www.unlimitedrc.co.uk
London
Joined Jul 2006
120 Posts
Forgot to add, sometimes when applying rudder/yaw it over compensates and picks up a bit too much height? Othertimes it'll suddenly pitch down or up in a quick seesaw motion if big rudder input is suddenly applied.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:52 PM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
My gains are 170 170 150 170
120 120

And mine are rock solid, but i Also have my gimbal on
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:55 PM
www.unlimitedrc.co.uk
London
Joined Jul 2006
120 Posts
Hi Spyde,

Thanks! Are you running the same rig/gimbal too? I will try those gains next time I'm out.

I should imagine the gimbal will change things a bit. But I figure it's best to get it flying right before attaching any gear onto it.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:02 AM
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
Yes i use the CS gimbal with radians.
Yes tune the gains with gimbal and everything on, that Will give the Best result.
Good luck with it.

I am very happy with my cinestar and wkm and Think you Will be to
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:30 AM
www.unlimitedrc.co.uk
London
Joined Jul 2006
120 Posts
Parts for fitting the Z15 to the CS arrived today. I'll get it fitted and working and see how it flies over the weekend. Just had snow in the UK so hopefully that'll melt soon! We don't cope well with snow here, a single snowflake and travel descends into chaos...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
28 Posts
Looks solid to me...when doing commercial aerial shots you will almost never be sitting completely still in alt hold and gps hold as the whole point of having an aerial platform is to have movement. I would recommend flying with gps mode on so the copter slowly comes to a stop after stick movements, but I always control my altitude manually. The exception is when I'm really high up and wouldn't be able to accurately see if the copter is going up or down...even then I'm moving in some direction of travel, not trying to sit still. The movement I see here wouldn't even be perceivable on a Z15 video output, but I understand your desire for perfection. My point is that your setup "as is" will give you professional results.
CaptnTim is offline Find More Posts by CaptnTim
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:02 PM
www.unlimitedrc.co.uk
London
Joined Jul 2006
120 Posts
Thanks for the pointer Captn!

"but I always control my altitude manually. The exception is when I'm really high up and wouldn't be able to accurately see if the copter is going up or down"

I agree, this is probably what I would do anyway seeing as things are nice in manual.

Fitted the Zenmuse tonight, looks like the stock CS legs aren't big enough. And I go round and round and round
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
Do you have some pictures
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:43 PM
www.unlimitedrc.co.uk
London
Joined Jul 2006
120 Posts
Can grab some, what pictures are you after?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
Just how you mounted the z15
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:46 PM
www.unlimitedrc.co.uk
London
Joined Jul 2006
120 Posts
I just got the Zenmuse working, seems to be working OK so far.

I designed a mount in CAD, I'm happy for you to have the files and cut one yourself. It's not the most elegant solution and a couple of holes needed filing but it worked!
Last edited by Shahid B; Jan 18, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Jun 2013
13 Posts
Hi Shahid B!
May I (we) have the files, please?
hcmush@gmail.com

Cheers!
cogumelo is offline Find More Posts by cogumelo