SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
I just received mine from Banggood yesterday.

Some warnings:

There was no documentation of any kind included in the shipment. The manual linked a couple posts above was all that I could find.

The booms are held in place by the screws for the control board. If you do not first loosen the corresponding screw then it is very easy to ruin the wiring when attempting to remove a boom.

I cannot find any source for replacement parts.

Unfortunately I didn't even get the battery fully charged and this thing has gone into the pile of mistakes along with the Syma X1 and RC Eye One as failed attempts at finding something to replace my mQX.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:05 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post

Some warnings:

There was no documentation of any kind included in the shipment. The manual linked a couple posts above was all that I could find.

The booms are held in place by the screws for the control board. If you do not first loosen the corresponding screw then it is very easy to ruin the wiring when attempting to remove a boom.

Unfortunately I didn't even get the battery fully charged and this thing has gone into the pile of mistakes along with the Syma X1 and RC Eye One as failed attempts at finding something to replace my mQX.
My RC Eye One is the best quad purchase I have ever made by a significant margin. The x1 also has a good following here.

I am curious what problems you had with yours? Three bad quad quads in a row is, at the very least, a huge streak of bad luck.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
My RC Eye One is the best quad purchase I have ever made by a significant margin. The x1 also has a good following here.

I am curious what problems you had with yours? Three bad quad quads in a row is, at the very least, a huge streak of bad luck.

regards . . . g
I will be starting a new thread in the near future regarding my quest for a better performer than the mQX. I don't know you but I am sure you and I would have different rating scales of what makes a quad good.

Short story:
I spent 2012 learning to fly RC with the mQX. I had great fun. I am now looking for something that will fly more aggressively in my small backyard.

The X1 is a slug compared to the mQX. With the stock transmitter the Syma is great at hovering, but even at its higher setting it offers only 15% of the authority that I expect from my mQX..

The RC Eye One is still up in the air but I am doubtful that it can fly how I fly my mQX. I have a couple indoor flights on it. I have found the controller to be the worst of six or eight that I have used. Based on the videos that I have seen, it seems to do well at fast forward flight with long sweeping turns whereas I fly in an area about 10-15 yards and make frequent, abrupt changes in direction. I need to get it outside to see how it really performs before I can say more.

This is what I do with my mQX
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Have you considered the Heli-Max 1SQ? You can use your Spektrum remote courtesy of AnyLink.
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:19 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Whether something is better or worse can depend quite a bit on what you want to do with it.
For example, as far as I know, so far (this HiBiRD being a possible new exception), among all these small quads with brushed motors, the only quads that can be flipped/rolled "manually" are the mQx and Walkera Ladybird (V1 or V2). If this matters a lot to you, then all the others (so far) can be ignored.
But if this is not so important, but say fast forward flight at low cost is, then many of the other quads are in the running, and the mQx with its relatively high cost, will not look so good.
And I have read that compared to others, the Ladybird is not so good with coordinated aileron and rudder turns.

For myself, I am interested in manual flips/rolls and my recoveries from these are not so good (so I need to fly with the quad not too near me), so an mQx is what is good (so far, I find the Ladybird too small to tell its orientation unless it is really close to me). But that is me.
If I want more stability, a V929 will work better than an mQx.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:54 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
I will be starting a new thread in the near future regarding my quest for a better performer than the mQX. I don't know you but I am sure you and I would have different rating scales of what makes a quad good.

Short story:
I spent 2012 learning to fly RC with the mQX. I had great fun. I am now looking for something that will fly more aggressively in my small backyard.

The X1 is a slug compared to the mQX. With the stock transmitter the Syma is great at hovering, but even at its higher setting it offers only 15% of the authority that I expect from my mQX..

The RC Eye One is still up in the air but I am doubtful that it can fly how I fly my mQX. I have a couple indoor flights on it. I have found the controller to be the worst of six or eight that I have used. Based on the videos that I have seen, it seems to do well at fast forward flight with long sweeping turns whereas I fly in an area about 10-15 yards and make frequent, abrupt changes in direction. I need to get it outside to see how it really performs before I can say more.

This is what I do with my mQX
Ah - I see. That's some very interesting flying there. Looks like fun, but I prefer quick acceleration with responsive banked turns.

Have you seen some of the v202 videos out there? From what I read and see it might be a contender, or you may have to build your own mix of the best parts from numerous small quads to suit your unique style.

Good luck on your quest. I will be following your new thread with great interest.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Whether something is better or worse can depend quite a bit on what you want to do with it.
For example, as far as I know, so far (this HiBiRD being a possible new exception), among all these small quads with brushed motors, the only quads that can be flipped/rolled "manually" are the mQx and Walkera Ladybird (V1 or V2). If this matters a lot to you, then all the others (so far) can be ignored.
But if this is not so important, but say fast forward flight at low cost is, then many of the other quads are in the running, and the mQx with its relatively high cost, will not look so good.
And I have read that compared to others, the Ladybird is not so good with coordinated aileron and rudder turns.

For myself, I am interested in manual flips/rolls and my recoveries from these are not so good (so I need to fly with the quad not too near me), so an mQx is what is good (so far, I find the Ladybird too small to tell its orientation unless it is really close to me). But that is me.
If I want more stability, a V929 will work better than an mQx.
The 1SQ is capable of aerobatic flight also. Flips and rolls manually, no buttons to "cheat" it's a pretty sweet little quad. I like my mQx a lot more now that I've spent more time with the radio settings, but I still have more fun flying my 1SQ. Especially outside where it handles the wind a little better.
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:32 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex4R View Post
The 1SQ is capable of aerobatic flight also. Flips and rolls manually, no buttons to "cheat" it's a pretty sweet little quad. I like my mQx a lot more now that I've spent more time with the radio settings, but I still have more fun flying my 1SQ. Especially outside where it handles the wind a little better.
Thank you for the correction! I have been wondering if there are others besides the mQx and LB.

For me, I probably need to wait until I have more control before flying the SQ1: it is similar in size to the LB (in particular, the SQ1 and LB both have small props), which will make it hard for me to see the orientation when it is moving quickly. Perhaps I should build a hybrid: SQ1 board with V929 or X1 (large props) motor arms.

I have a question about the SQ1: some mention needing to be in heli mode to adjust the gyro gain, while others mention adjusting the gyro gain by adjusting channel 5. I have an old Hitec 5 channel (should work with AnyLink) that only does airplane and glider modes.
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
I have a 1SQ and pretty can't fly it in any sort of controlled fashion indoors to save my life (yet?). I'm here trying to figure out if the HiBiRD is suitable intermediate step that's compatible with my DX6i or not. Unfortunately there aren't any reviews yet.
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:08 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the correction! I have been wondering if there are others besides the mQx and LB.

For me, I probably need to wait until I have more control before flying the SQ1: it is similar in size to the LB (in particular, the SQ1 and LB both have small props), which will make it hard for me to see the orientation when it is moving quickly. Perhaps I should build a hybrid: SQ1 board with V929 or X1 (large props) motor arms.

I have a question about the SQ1: some mention needing to be in heli mode to adjust the gyro gain, while others mention adjusting the gyro gain by adjusting channel 5. I have an old Hitec 5 channel (should work with AnyLink) that only does airplane and glider modes.
I use heli mode, but others claim to use acro just fine and use the gyro switch for the gyro, which is channel 5.
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:05 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex4R View Post
I use heli mode, but others claim to use acro just fine and use the gyro switch for the gyro, which is channel 5.
Thank you.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:42 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:

Some warnings:

Physically, this quad resembles other quads with 7mm direct drive motors.
If the arms are 3mmx3mm square carbon tubes, then my guess is that you can substitute some Walkera Ladybird motor arms for the stock ones (mount the stock prop on the motor).
I have bought such arms to make an mQx/Ladybird hybrid at US$9.90 for 2 motor arms (or US$6.05 for 1) at Banggood.com:
http://www.banggood.com/buy/walkera-ladybird.html
If the arms are 3mmx4mm, then the V939 motor ares may fit, etc.

Another possibility is to use the board to control your mQx (be the substitute control board for your mQx). The tricky part of this is to be able to plug in your mQx motor wires into this control board.
It may be easier to buy a BNF v929 (same size as mQx, US$30 to 40?) and replace its control board with this one (I am guessing that the wire plugs will fit).
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Physically, this quad resembles other quads with 7mm direct drive motors.
If the arms are 3mmx3mm square carbon tubes, then my guess is that you can substitute some Walkera Ladybird motor arms for the stock ones (mount the stock prop on the motor).
I have bought such arms to make an mQx/Ladybird hybrid at US$9.90 for 2 motor arms (or US$6.05 for 1) at Banggood.com:
http://www.banggood.com/buy/walkera-ladybird.html
If the arms are 3mmx4mm, then the V939 motor ares may fit, etc.

Another possibility is to use the board to control your mQx (be the substitute control board for your mQx). The tricky part of this is to be able to plug in your mQx motor wires into this control board.
It may be easier to buy a BNF v929 (same size as mQx, US$30 to 40?) and replace its control board with this one (I am guessing that the wire plugs will fit).
Thank you very much.

I have LB arms here. I made a mQX hybrid and ordered an extra motor of each direction, they are still in their packages. I also have a LB v1 with a 2402d on its way, it left California yesterday.

I also have a never flown BNF v929 here that is awaiting a new LCD screen for the faulty 9x that I received.

And I have a mQX board still in the package.

I had a very bad experience with the RC Eye One partially due to the crappy controller. I really want to be able to try flying something with these little blades while using my trusty DX6i. You have given me many alternatives to work with.

As soon as the weather here in Michigan allows I can fly! I really appreciate your time.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:33 AM
Joined Dec 2011
280 Posts
REDCON HiBiRD (DMSS version)

Front side - orange propellers (and Rx/controller LEDs to the front)

Radio Setting (not all the same as manual recommend)

Model : Airplane

Servo travel: over 100% (between 100-120)
THRO -100% - 100%
AILE -120% - 120%
ELEV -120% - 120%
RUDD -120% - 120%
GEAR -100% - 100%
FLAP -100% - 100%

Channel reverse:
THRO - normal
AILE - normal
ELEV - normal
RUDD - normal
GEAR - normal
FLAP - normal

DR&Expo
THRO - 100% 0%
AILE - 65%/80%/100% -15%/-5%/+5% (Expo '-' for qucker responce, '+' for slower responce (JR Radio))
ELEV - 65%/80%/100% -15%/-5%/+5%
RUDD - 100% 0%
GEAR - 100% 0%
FLAP - 100% 0%

For initial QR setup (Gyro calibration, Unlock, Lock) you need at least 100% THRO/ELEV/RUDD throw.
Gyro caliblation - ELEV low, RUDD to the right (place QR on level surface).
Lock - RUDD to the right.
Unlock - RUDD to the left.

AUX1(FLAP) Function:
AUX1 in High Position = AILE/ELEV/RUDD in High sensitive hand adjustment mode
AUX1 in Middle Position = AILE/ELEV/RUDD in high sensitive auto-Adjustment mode
AUX1 in low position = AILE/ELEV/RUDD for learner low sensitive auto-Adjustment mode
AUX1 can be adjusted as needed when flying.

I advise secure Rx board (DSM2, DMSS) to controller/frame by rubber band, it can easy to disconnect from controller board.
vlad_vy is offline Find More Posts by vlad_vy
Last edited by vlad_vy; Feb 17, 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:12 AM
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Explanation of sensitivity and gyro controls?

OK, I got mine charged and bound to my DX6i.

But I can't understand the instructions from the .pdf manual or the summary you posted, like I copied below here.

Sorry can you try to explain it in more simple language?

I mean like what is unlock/lock?

What is middle position of Flap/Gyro? DX6i only has '0' and '1' postion.

What is it about 'adjusting Gyro'?

Thanks. Izord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_vy View Post
REDCON HiBiRD (DMSS version)

Front side - orange propellers (and Rx/controller LEDs to the front)

Radio Setting (not all the same as manual recommend)

Model : Airplane

Servo travel: over 100% (between 100-120)
THRO -100% - 100%
AILE -120% - 120%
ELEV -120% - 120%
RUDD -120% - 120%
GEAR -100% - 100%
FLAP -100% - 100%

Channel reverse:
THRO - normal
AILE - normal
ELEV - normal
RUDD - normal
GEAR - normal
FLAP - normal

DR&Expo
THRO - 100% 0%
AILE - 65%/80%/100% -15%/-5%/+5% (Expo '-' for qucker responce, '+' for slower responce (JR Radio))
ELEV - 65%/80%/100% -15%/-5%/+5%
RUDD - 100% 0%
GEAR - 100% 0%
FLAP - 100% 0%

For initial QR setup (Gyro calibration, Unlock, Lock) you need at least 100% THRO/ELEV/RUDD throw.
Gyro caliblation - ELEV low, RUDD to the right (place QR on level surface).
Lock - RUDD to the right.
Unlock - RUDD to the left.

AUX1(FLAP) Function:
AUX1 in High Position = AILE/ELEV/RUDD in High sensitive hand adjustment mode
AUX1 in Middle Position = AILE/ELEV/RUDD in high sensitive auto-Adjustment mode
AUX1 in low position = AILE/ELEV/RUDD for learner low sensitive auto-Adjustment mode
AUX1 can be adjusted as needed when flying.

I advise secure Rx board (DSM2, DMSS) to controller/frame by rubber band, it can easy to disconnect from controller board.
Izord is offline Find More Posts by Izord