Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Ok. Now back to the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg1170 View Post
Hobby King is the worst internet company I have ever dealt with.o

You guys seem to forget that without HK 99% of folks like you and I wouldn't be in the hobby in the first place.

I still remember vividly that prior to HK becoming well known (7 years ago at least for me), I walked into my LHS and drooled, but I didn't even dare touch. As I glazed through the glass pane at the counter, I saw eflight motors that listed in the $50, $70, $90; Lipos in the $79+; and esc's in the $50+. I would drool and drool and leave the store.

My first plane was a piece of junk from parkflyers that thing didn't get off the ground. I paid $179 for this RTF plane. The radio was crap.

Luckily, I found RCG and saw a hate thread about hobbyking. I browsed HK's site and my first order got my parkflyers plane off the ground at a fraction of the cost. I haven't stopped buying since.

So, to all you that think hate threads help deter potential customers....they don't; they just give HK more exposure.

Anyways with HK, the entire RC industry has been forced to bring prices back down to earth, so folks like you and I can enjoy our addition.
So the next time you think HK is the horrible empire; think again.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post

So, to all you that think hate threads help deter potential customers....they don't; they just give HK more exposure.
I think you're right. That pretty much describes me. I heard about HK here, and despite the "horror stories" I looked at their web site, saw that stuff cost about 1/4 to 1/10 as much as elsewhere, and that I could afford my fun, which is combat. I was cautious due to threads here. So my first order was small, less than $40, and stuff I could afford to wait for. Nothing bad happened, so I ordered again. And again.

Now, strangely, my experience with HK has made me less anxious about ordering from China in general. Now I order a lot from sellers in China on eBay. I'm a total sucker for free shipping. In most cases the quality is fine and I don't know how they do it, given the cost of the shipping that they absorb. I also order a lot from Heads Up RC. Most everything they sell is made in China, and similarly priced to HK, but they ship from Florida, usually $2 per order.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:51 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Now, strangely, my experience with HK has made me less anxious about ordering from China in general.
Im starting to order more from other Chinese suppliers. Apart from 1 missing order
(value $5, who cares) the experience has been all good. Fast delivery, great prices.
HK is still the 1st site I'll goto, but there are now very good alternatives based in China.

Or buy from the local hobbyshop, pay 3x a the price & still have no guarantee of better quality or spare parts availability. Local hobby shops usually dont stock what I want anyway. Most local shops here just seem to be buying from Hobbyking anyway.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,723 Posts
As long as HK keep them prices down and keep bringing out that great Durafly range i'll be a happy camper,thats not to mention all the other great deals HK does that i buy like there FPV gear Quads,batteries well the list is endless and thats just what i normally buy,i'd hate to have a guess what my not so local HS
would charge me for the same sort of gear,well i know 100% i wouldn't still be in the hobby as i couldn't afford it and it's as simple as that.

So as long as there is a HK i'll have my hobby.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I think you're right. That pretty much describes me. I heard about HK here, and despite the "horror stories" I looked at their web site, saw that stuff cost about 1/4 to 1/10 as much as elsewhere, and that I could afford my fun, which is combat. I was cautious due to threads here. So my first order was small, less than $40, and stuff I could afford to wait for. Nothing bad happened, so I ordered again. And again.

Now, strangely, my experience with HK has made me less anxious about ordering from China in general. Now I order a lot from sellers in China on eBay. I'm a total sucker for free shipping. In most cases the quality is fine and I don't know how they do it, given the cost of the shipping that they absorb.
x1000
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Im starting to order more from other Chinese suppliers. Apart from 1 missing order
(value $5, who cares) the experience has been all good. Fast delivery, great prices.
HK is still the 1st site I'll goto, but there are now very good alternatives based in China.

Or buy from the local hobbyshop, pay 3x a the price & still have no guarantee of better quality or spare parts availability. Local hobby shops usually dont stock what I want anyway. Most local shops here just seem to be buying from Hobbyking anyway.
I wish my local shop would stock hk gear. I would gladly pay a marked up price for the convenience. I actually wont go into one of the lhs's around here. Most of the people in the area feel the same, they are complete You feel like you are wasting their time if you have a simple question, god forbid you have to make them get up and order a part. hobbyking and rcgroups alleviates all of this. Find the info here, order it there, have it next week (if its in your countries warehouse )
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
Find the info here, order it there, have it next week (if its in your countries warehouse )
You don't really even have to order from China to beat the LHS by 10 to 1. For example, my hardware store has almost zero tiny screws, either 3mm or 2-56. At the LHS, there is a little package of 3 screws for $1.50. For $3, free shipping, I can get a pack of 100 on eBay (and stainless steel) from a great seller in NY (albanycountyfasteners-ny). For me, they usually arrive the day after tomorrow.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
I just saved a good $100-$150 going with HobbyKing over someone like Tower and that was WITH $40 UPS 3 day shipping. Ordered over the weekend, showed processing late Sunday night since it was Monday morning in China at the time, shipped on the evening of the 28th Eastern time and UPS picked up the tracking number almost right away. Showing departed Anchroage, AK right now and will be here tomorrow evening. From China to my doorstep in 3 days. Yep, terrible shipping, maybe instead of complaining people should pony up the extra $10-$20 since they ARE saving a ton going with HK and get the UPS express shipping option? I will hold out final judgement until I get all the parts and verify my batteries are balancing ok but as far as shipping these guys did better than 90% of USA companies I've dealt with. I kind of regret not getting my new 9X radio from them honestly, its going to be here from HobbyPartz on Friday and this order is getting here tomorrow.

And no I don't feel bad about ordering from HK or buying a Chinese made radio over American stuff. It is ALL made in China, oftentimes in the same towns. Using HK just cuts out a fatcat middleman that is marking up $50 products like 4 or 5 times as much as they'd cost buying direct at least.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Last edited by scottydsntknow; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:15 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I just saved a good $100-$150 going with HobbyKing over someone like Tower and that was WITH $40 UPS 3 day shipping. Ordered over the weekend, showed processing late Sunday night since it was Monday morning in China at the time, shipped on the evening of the 28th Eastern time and UPS picked up the tracking number almost right away. Showing departed Anchroage, AK right now and will be here tomorrow evening. From China to my doorstep in 3 days. Yep, terrible shipping, maybe instead of complaining people should pony up the extra $10-$20 since they ARE saving a ton going with HK and get the UPS express shipping option? I will hold out final judgement until I get all the parts and verify my batteries are balancing ok but as far as shipping these guys did better than 90% of USA companies I've dealt with. I kind of regret not getting my new 9X radio from them honestly, its going to be here from HobbyPartz on Friday and this order is getting here tomorrow.

And no I don't feel bad about ordering from HK or buying a Chinese made radio over American stuff. It is ALL made in China, oftentimes in the same towns. Using HK just cuts out a fatcat middleman that is marking up $50 products like 4 or 5 times as much as they'd cost buying direct at least.

Great perspective. LHS serve an extremely valuable service sometimes, but man some of the stuff is really marked up. CA is crazy expensive, so are the batteries. I bet many of the brands are made in the same factory too. Sometimes though you get what you pay for.

Sadly, stories like yours and many others who have positive experiences with this vendor wouldn't be told if some people have their way. Actually, one person only. I've never seen anyone else suggest a whole thread on a vendor get shut down because they didn't like the vendor, but that actually happened here recently.

Hope the stuff makes it to you quickly and you have fun with it. Even their US shipping isn't normally this fast!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
I've seen threads like that on other boards about vendors before. Its just internet chatter. I'm not sure why mine got done so fast but this stuff is going to get here faster than the Tower stuff I ordered.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Back to the topic, "Hobby king sucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I will hold out final judgement until I get all the parts and verify my batteries are balancing ok but as far as shipping these guys did better than 90% of USA companies I've dealt with. I kind of regret not getting my new 9X radio from them honestly, its going to be here from HobbyPartz on Friday and this order is getting here tomorrow.
HMMM, doesn't really sound pertinent to the topic but it seldom is.
Yes. hold out final judgement until you see if you received everything in working order. Remember you ony get 24Hrs to register those batteries or the warranty is void not that it matters. The HK warranty is virtually non-existent but if something arrives DOA you can give it a try. If you have to send something back for a warranty issue use UPS 3 day shipping that should cut down the turn around time to 5 months instead of 6.
You did pay $40 extra for 3 day shipping so why shouldn't you get it.
UPS is a well run American company that actually does what they say they will do.
Everything I've ordered from US vendors arrives in 3-5 day with standard ground shipping. Shop around.
So check that order carefully and if there's a problem???
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:58 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
Yes. hold out final judgement until you see if you received everything in working order. Remember you ony get 24Hrs to register those batteries or the warranty is void not that it matters. The HK warranty is virtually non-existent but if something arrives DOA you can give it a try. If you have to send something back for a warranty issue use UPS 3 day shipping that should cut down the turn around time to 5 months instead of 6.
UPS is a well run American company that actually does what they say they will do.
Everything I've ordered from US vendors arrives in 3-5 day with standard ground shipping. Shop around.
some of us would rather pay $40 for shipping and still come out ahead than pay 1000x's what we would at our LHS.
Last edited by rcalldaylong; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Prior post no longer needed. will edit again in 10 days if needed.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
As stated by RCG: "A Confrontational debate style is not welcome here"

Some RCG members and Mods do care about the rules and issues.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Last edited by valanti256; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:18 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
As stated by RCG: "A Confrontational debate style is not welcome here"

Some RCG members and Mods do care about the rules and issues.
Pls do go report it if you think it breaks the rules. Isn't that what awagar told you?

Anyways, Here's what Rurual said in response to your suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralFPV View Post
Edit2: You do have a point though, I didn't think of this when I ordered it. But still, I really don't care. LOL
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
I paid $12 over the standard airmail actually, total shipping was $40. I got easily $200+ if not more worth of stuff. As for the batteries, I got 4 receiver batteries for the price of 1 locally. If 2 are bad I still come out ahead. The balancer charger I got was $20 and has all the features a $90 unit has on tower, don't even get me started on the radios and engines and the price/features on the Turnigy/FrSky stuff that is proven to work great and is 1/10 the cost of a similar JR/Futaba.

So yeah even with the extra money for shipping I came out a good $100 ahead. I wish I would have held off a day because of course the Turnigy 9x with receiver for $54 came back in stock a day after I ordered it... Oh well I picked up the FlySky 9x from a US distributor with two 6 channel receivers and an 8 channel for $101 shipped.