SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Hobby king sucks

Hobby King is the worst internet company I have ever dealt with. I ordered a 3d Foamie from them on 1/4/13. The price was great. I selected EMS shipping for 28.00. Estimated arrival time 3-7 days to the US. Well Its still not here. No phone support. Chat support gives no real answers other then it's been "dispatched". Which really means a "shipping label has been created". I encourage everyone to steer clear of HK and maybe they will get the point. They take your money right away but refuse to ship the product right away. Why use or money.

Oh, and they blocked me on their Face Book page also
jmg1170 is offline Find More Posts by jmg1170
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg1170 View Post
Hobby King is the worst internet company I have ever dealt with. I ordered a 3d Foamie from them on 1/4/13. The price was great. I selected EMS shipping for 28.00. Estimated arrival time 3-7 days to the US. Well Its still not here. No phone support. Chat support gives no real answers other then it's been "dispatched". Which really means a "shipping label has been created". I encourage everyone to steer clear of HK and maybe they will get the point. They take your money right away but refuse to ship the product right away. Why use or money.

Oh, and they blocked me on their Face Book page also
Which plane was it and was it a JIT item? Does the tracking info return anything?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:30 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
30 years on the hobby and the first company you go to is HobbyKing for a plane? Did you not hear about their service issues in the past? Nitroplanes, Banana, nobody else had something?

Is one bad experience with a company enough to not do business with them again and recommend everyone else does too?

They might not be able to answer all shipping questions once it's left their door. Was there a lipo in there by any chance? And how do you know that they refused to ship the item right away, perhaps it's already sent? Did you get tracking info?

If and when it arrives ask for a partial refund of the shipping price.

You are right that a loss in business is the best way to get a company to sit up and listen.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
I have ordered from Banana Hobbies. They are not the greatest either. It is a JST item, And I no LIPO's in this order. I ordered from them as they were the cheapest around. In my early days ( Futuba Gold AM transmitters) we just went to Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami and got what we needed. I now live in a very rural area that no local Hobby Shops withing a 2 hour drive, maybe 3 to decent one. I have read a lot of negative stuff about most of the internet companies. If any one can tell where I can get a 3d Foamie with motor, servos, ESC for around 82 bucks like HK, I will buy it right now !!!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:14 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
FWIW,
IMexperience, with planes, it takes a week to get the plane from the remote warehouse to the HongKong shipper. From there it takes 2-3 weeks to get here. Many complaints here about EMS not really living up to the fast delivery times specified. On the other hand, planes ordered from the US warehouse shipped USPS arrive pretty quick.

Are you near the great python hunt? I don't think I'd want to be out there with a 1000 other guys ready to shoot anything that moves.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:13 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined May 2002
922 Posts
IMHO, sometimes if you order a JIT item by itself from Hobbyking, it'll ship out relatively quickly (within 1-2 days) directly from the warehouse (in China?).
If you order a JIT *plus* some stuff from the normal warehouse, it'll take 2-5 days to be trucked to the normal warehouse, plus the 2-3 days to be packaged and shipped.

I think HK lists EMS 3-7 days as the "transit time", which is how long the package "should" take once it is actually shipped, *not* the time from order to receipt.

The worst experience for me was just before Xmas 2011, when there wasn't enough room on flights for packages (especially non-EMS packages). Stuff was shipped out but didn't actually leave the airport for another 5-7 days.

So, total waiting time is really packaging time + shipping time + delays, and packaging time for JIT items can vary depending on the rest of the order.

Dunno anybody who does cheap consistently like HK. Seems like we have the choice of cheap *or* fast.

YMMV.

D.
darkith is offline Find More Posts by darkith
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
well I finally I got the plane after 17 days. came in bent up box which resulted in bent up foam. I decided tpnput together anyways. extremely poorbinstruction s and 9 hours later I test flew itvin my back yard. pretty neat for a crappy company.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:34 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg1170 View Post
well I finally I got the plane after 17 days. came in bent up box which resulted in bent up foam. I decided tpnput together anyways. extremely poorbinstruction s and 9 hours later I test flew itvin my back yard. pretty neat for a crappy company.
Next time run to your nearest LHS and buy it there. Hopefully we won't see any more HK threads from you.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:59 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Yes, you can always buy from the LHS (if you can find one) then you wind up paying, like 10,000x HK price. At the end of the day you will realize HK is THE only way to go. Long live HK! Oh, please post your flight experience with the plane, videos, build log, etc. Thanks for shopping HK!
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:16 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifax View Post
Yes, you can always buy from the LHS (if you can find one) then you wind up paying, like 10,000x HK price. At the end of the day you will realize HK is THE only way to go. Long live HK!
You took my line!
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
some of these bloggers are HK people, but they are acting like customers. I had the same issue, I placed the order, waited two weeks, got on a chat line, 20 minutes later they requested scan copy of credit card, waited 48 hours, emailed many times, waited another 20 minutes on chat, requested scan and to wait another 48 hours, then they stated, "Send in money again, via paypal this time, we'll delete order and ship." The problem is the time trying to get order placed isn't ending and the Visa payment had final clearance over 8 days ago. For several days I've requested to ship or refund. I get neither. I think I wasted $200-
claytucker2 is offline Find More Posts by claytucker2
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytucker2 View Post
some of these bloggers are HK people, but they are acting like customers. I've requested to ship or refund. I get neither. I think I wasted $200-
Please let us know who those "blogger/HK people" are. Proof too would be nice.

If you don't get what you want from HK in terms of a refund, why didn't you ask that of your credit card company? Why is that step always left out of these experiences?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
it's easy to tell who the HK people are, they speak in favor of the company and write with British spelling and respond quickly. In twenty years of business I've only had to report a 2-3 fraud cases to Visa. A Vendor that tells you to report it to your credit card company vs refunding, isn't working within the legal limits of Vendor-Customer law. HK is by law classified as a "Merchant," they owe us a duty to deliver a reasonable product as represented or to refund money. I am giving HK the benefit of the doubt and waiting to the 27 day marker to refund or ship. My issue is my time, no product and no refund.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
hobbyking falls under maritime and US law selling online in USA. I want to find out if I am a single person having issues or if it's a large group of us not getting product or money refunded.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:19 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Clay,
One thing you'll find out about HK is that they do things, well, a little differently. They dont have tons of people to sort out some of the minor issues, they trust you will be able to do that. Instead, they are busy getting orders out the door (something 10,000 orders a day!). Also, the laws, rules and customs are different in China so it might take some getting used to their ways. If you hang around enough youll begin to understand the ways and means and how to do business with them.

Reading this forum is a great place to start and youll see lots of testimonials from people enjoying all their awesome HK gear!
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax