SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9x er9x Project

Well, I finally decided to go the er9x (9x) route with my FPV setups. For the past two seasons I have used the modified JR9503 to output PPM from inside the radio to a Dragon Link system. It has worked nicely, but is a bit cumbersome because I have to insert a trainer jack with the power switch off in order to disable the 9503 built in 2.4ghz deck and send the PPM to the Dragon Link. I also use this radio for my BNF models such as the Night Vapor and the Blade 130x so I am constantly taking the DL TX box on and off. With the price on the 9x so reasonable combined with the proven er9x software, it was time to make the move!

I am picking one up from another modeler that purchased it for a project and decided to pass on it. Initially I will just use loose Sanyo Eneloop cells to power it.

Since I plan to move all my FPV setups over to this, I will have to make some changes anyway, so I decided to take this opportunity to get my V1 Dragon Link system upgraded to the latest firmware. So off it went in the mail yesterday. When it gets back I have lots to do.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Mod 1 - HK Backlight Kit

My 9x came in the mail yesterday. The guy I purchased it from included the HK DIY Blue backlight kit. It is plug and play with no soldering needed. Getting into the case and installing the board is very easy. I did have to re-position the LED board a couple of times till I got it lined up so the board would go back in and the front buttons aligned with their holes. It looks nice and helps with readability.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Mod 2 - Charge Port Alteration

I use a JR9503 as my primary radio before I picked up the 9x. I like to use the stock wall charger and recharge the Sanyo Eneloop battery in it over night when it needs it. It lasts for weeks, so I don't charge it that often. For the 9x I am using the same setup, but the polarity of the 9x's built in charge port is center pin positive and the JR is center pin negative. I'd like to use the same charger for both. While the radio was open for the backlight mod, I swapped the wiring on the charge port with my soldering iron. Easy change and now I can wall charge it without taking the batteries out every time I need to charge it.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:13 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Yesterday I spent a few hours getting the model position setup for my FLIP FPV quadcopter. I wanted to use a single PPM cable from the DragonLink Rx into the FLIP MWC controller, so I enabled PPM, set the mixes for a AETR and the 3Pos switch to toggle ACRO and LEVEL flying modes. I tried applying the throttle hold/cut template, but it mapped it to channel 1 so I removed it. I think I can just move the mix to ch3 after the template creates it on ch1. I like having throttle hold on my helis/quads. It's a habit I developed when I used to fly more CP helis.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Mod 3 - Install Dragon Link using RF module

Its time to get the Dragon Link installed! I wanted a clean way to mount the Dragon Link Tx and protect the wiring so it is not so easily pulled out or damaged. I decided to reuse the stock 2.4 RF module to house the connections (as may others have) and then mounted the DL Tx on a Tx stand so it can pivot up and down to match polarization with the airborne vehicle. Here is how I did it.

I followed the instructions on this thread except I decided it was not worth my time to try and unsolder all the components off the board, so I used a Dremel cutoff wheel and trimmed off the portion of the board with the connection pins on it. That was really all I wanted anyway. I then hot-glued the small piece back in place and test fitted it back in the radio. All good, so then I soldered the DL wires to the pins on the board and covered with servo wrap. I buttoned the module back up and installed it back in the 9X. Now I can remove it and use another module of my choice if need be. The whole operation was about 30 mins including removing the old antenna and grinding off the old antenna mount flush with the top of the radio. That's it!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Mod #4 - Pan/Tilt Thumbstick

I have wanted to do this mod since day one with the 9x. The ability to easily do this mod was one of the main reasons I purchased this radio.

I used a cheap clone Wii Nunchuck of ebay and cut the joystick side off. I un-soldered the front left pot and re-routed it to the board. For some odd reason I have not figured out, I am unable to use the other axis. When I wire it up it makes the er9x software boot with a blank screen. So for now i just have it working for pan left and right on the Penguin. Using the calibration feature in the er9x software, I was able to get the joystick to do full movement on the 270 servo on the Penguin.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:36 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
MultiWiiCopter FLIP Level Mode

Here are the screenshots on how to setup the ACC or autolevel mode switch on the 3-position switch in er9x. Note the two squares on the GUI screen. Those need to be clicked so they turn white.

ID0 = Acro mode
ID1/2 activates autolevel