HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, IL, Cordova
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Ok will do. I might have to rethink the gear on it. I fly off grass and my strip is hard on landing gear.
mcsaplik is offline Find More Posts by mcsaplik
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
I install my gear on my quickies with two 1/4-20 nylon bolts. I beef up the landing gear block with extra fillets of milled fibers and epoxy. That way when the gear gets pulled off the bolt heads just snap off and the gear is released with no damage to the fuselage.

I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:00 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
341 Posts
Here is another 424 plane (Viper) that I absolutely detest and this shows how I beef up the landing gear pad. Yes it will probably be heavy but as a last ditch ever it could be used as a back up

I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I still need to make my mount up yet. Figured I would wait till I have gear in hand and do it then. As of right now I have 1/2 inch tri stock epoxyed in. Thanks for the pics. Where did you get your wheels at?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Jun 2008
202 Posts
You can get racing wheels from www.jettengineering.com or darrolcady.com, just to name a few.

Kurt
kbozarth is online now Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Well she is ready for the maiden! Hopefully this weekend. It is supposed to be near 50 with a southern breeze so we will see.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:05 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
494 Posts
looks good, let us know how it goes.
fizzwater2 is offline Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:12 PM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
269 Posts
Regarding landing gear legs. I have tried the LG-1 many times, and although it is a lot better than the stock Viper gear, the metal is still very soft. I have bent many a gear on landings that just weren't that hard. I recommend the aluminum landing gear from Darroll Cady. It uses 2024-T3 aluminum and the heat treatment makes a lot of difference in the gear's ability to resist bending. I haven't bent one of Darroll's gear yet.
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:21 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
Mcplik. I wish you were close to me so we could race. I am so addicted to this sport it's not funny. Hope your maiden went well. Let us know. I'll be doing a maiden here soon too. Where are you located ? Will you be going to NC to Race in may ?
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:25 AM
Joined Jun 2008
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjames View Post
..I have bent many a gear on landings that just weren't that hard....
Sometimes bending the gear is better than the alternatives. But you are right about L1's being a little soft. Darroll's gear are outstanding.

Kurt
kbozarth is online now Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Well no luck this weekend. All the feilds where closed still. I have 4 in my area. I thought at least one would be. My club opens next weekend so It is looking real good. No chance on racing this year. This will be for sport flying. NC would be sweet but its a far drive for me. I am in eastern Iowa. I hope this winter to Modify the plans and do the china clipper. These were real popular in the 80s. I have allways wanted one.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Well she finaly flew today. Needed some up trim and left trim but she flew awsome afterwords. I dont have any video of her but will try next time. She handles the corners like on rails and sport flys with the best of them. I had to change engines she has a old fox 40 on it that I just got done rebuilding. With a 10x6 prop she runs 13000 rpm. Can I run a smaller prop on it and gain more speed? If so can I get a recomendation. It wasent as fast as I thought it would be. Thanks again.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 07:02 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
The prop we use in 424 is a 9X6 APC. The preferred prop on the JETT 40 is a 8.8X8.75 but I'm not sure if that prop would do well with that motor. 10X6 is bogging you down for sure.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Jun 07, 2013, 11:15 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbozarth View Post
Sometimes bending the gear is better than the alternatives. But you are right about L1's being a little soft. Darroll's gear are outstanding.

Kurt
If you mount Darrol's gear (and I've heard that Sam San's are also excellent) with #10 nylon screws (countersunk of course) the gear will usually break away by shearing the screws before causing any damage to the airplane or gear legs. Just an idea. #8 screws shear too easily and 1/4" screws are a bit too strong, so I settled on #10's
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:36 PM
Maine
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
I have a unfinished vintage Glen Spickler Quickie 500 I would like to unload if anyone is interested. Would sell cheap. Have original box, manual, plans etc...
gagallagher044 is offline Find More Posts by gagallagher044