HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:15 AM
Reno Cannon, Nevada, United States
Joined Jul 2003
838 Posts
Cobra EPP Aerobatic 3D Anyone fly one?

I did a search, but it only came up with about 7-8 thread on it. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? Mods it needs, how it fly's etc. etc.? Looks intriguing. I'm planning on buying a Southern X-2, but I want to buy this along with the X-2. I don't want to go by just one good review I found on the e-zone about it. I'd like to hear from other flyers who have flown them as well. Thanks...
Capgun_Slim is offline Find More Posts by Capgun_Slim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2003, 01:14 AM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Jun 2003
499 Posts
don't get the package with the stock motor and speed control, the cobra really needs a brushless to do well, himaxx 2015 - 4100 or 3600 is cheaper and easier to get than a razor. I mounted a rz-400 with a c gearbox, 11-8 prop with etec 1200 3S, has unlimited verticals, flies great, very durable, its small and light enough that its my favorate plane to fly in the street when i don't have time to go to the field.
twohsieh is offline Find More Posts by twohsieh
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:33 AM
Joined Dec 2002
352 Posts
counterpoint

I went low-tech with mine:

- Agreed - Don't get the stock power. Bad gears.

- I fly on a GWS 350 C-gear and either a 9X7 GWS or better (but lots of work) an APC slo-fly 10 X 4.7 that is cut down and narrowed/thinned to 9.5 X 4.7.

- Low tech cells: 8X Ray-o-vac AAA standard NiMH.

- As mentioned, the plane flies great. Lots of vertical, and EXTREME durability. I suppose the flight quality and durability warrant a fancy power package, but I like the basic knuckle-dragging setup on mine.

- 7 cells flies OK, but 8 lets you cut way back on the throttle until very late in the flight.

Chris
ctparent is offline Find More Posts by ctparent
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:45 AM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
293 Posts
I built the Cobra stock and used 2x1200mah Etec lipos. 15+ minute flights, but the thing won't even get close to vertical on this power setup. Still lots of fun!

Mark
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:37 PM
burr ridge illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,450 Posts
I've seen two Cobras, Sal C's and Rafael's (Iflyrc71); both similar, great with the following setups/mods:
PJS 550 with APC 10x4.7 SF prop,or
PJS 550R with 9x4.7 SF. Any motor with similar wattage should be same
Etec 3s1p 1200 (rocketing verticals), or
Etec 2s1p 1200 (good sport combo, 1:1 thrust, no more)
Glue carbon "blade" 1/16"x3/8" into spanwise slit in bottom of wing; stock setup leaves too much wing flex (I think there's a rod in stock setup)
Thicker gear legs; stock legs way too flimsy. We drilled 1/8"carbon tubes into mount, then CA'd 1/16" steel axles. You could use 3/32" music wire too (probably better crash resistance)
About 5* right thrust, makes for better hovering and cleaner vertical lines
Skipped the stickers on Rafael's, Sal's peeled anyways, plane looks "clean" without 'em
Beware "foam friendly CA" on the Depron, we melted the foam a little on both planes (not bad)
As much throw as you can get, plenty of expo, it flies 3D stuff great, not too precise for IMAC but not bad for a foamy
It is NOT indestructable as its foamy construction might suggest. Sal's has needed repairs, but they were easy to do

Hope this helps,
Eric
echassin is offline Find More Posts by echassin
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:42 PM
burr ridge illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,450 Posts
By the way, totally off topic, your dancing banana has me inspired, and wondering:
How do I get a logo for my do-hicky?

Eric
echassin is offline Find More Posts by echassin
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:49 PM
Bought at a price.
Winfield, Kansas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
I've been thinking about posting a thread about the very same plane. The Cobra looks really attractive to me. However I was going to post mine in the 3D area. Figured that might be the demographic group that this kind of plane would appeal to.

Thanks guys, I'm reading & learning.
777 is offline Find More Posts by 777
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:17 PM
Dallas,Texas
Joined Aug 2003
72 Posts
i am getting a eagle ( cobras bigger brother) anyway I will be running a 3c cell 1500ma lithium and a pjs 550R jeti 18-3 speed controller any body tried this setup?
lowandinverted is offline Find More Posts by lowandinverted
Old Dec 23, 2003, 02:20 AM
Joined Jul 2003
838 Posts
Well, I kinda figured that the stock power system would suck. I guess for $129.00, a good motor is too much to ask for. I'm not into it so much for the 3D capabilities as I am for just flying around, and not worrying as much about damage in crashes. I was definitely going to go Li-Poly battery wise on this. That eagle sounds like a good plane too, I think I'm gonna have to go check into it a bit. These posts are very helpful BTW, keep them coming!

P.S. 777 I was going to put this in the 3D section at first too, but I knew I wouldn't get as many responses. Plus, all the 3D guys visit this forum along with everyone else, so if they had something to add, they'd see it here.

P.S.2 echassin, the bannana thing is called an "Avatar", and you can change this in your personal settings. I didn't know how to get one of these myself a while back, just figured it out. Use a search engine and type in "Avatar Sites", or something like that, and you'll find hundreds of sites you can download these from. Or make your own out of a favorite picture you have. You need to shrink it down to like 44kb though or else it won't fit.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 05:55 PM
Joined Jul 2003
838 Posts
Would a gws 350c "d" geared be good in there? Will it fit also?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 06:18 PM
I fly Army UAVs!
West Saint Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
568 Posts
The cobra and eagle when sitting next to one another are about the same size. I own a cobra and a friend owns the eagle. The eagle is alot better at the tumbling type stuff and the cobra is more of a sport/3-D plane. My cobra will hover with li-pos on the stock set up but I have been lucky and not broke the cheap plastic pinion or spur gear yet.

Thats the only thing you need to worry about is the cheap stock gearbox.A slight mod to the motor mount and a GWS gearbox will fit right in if you choose not togo the brushless route.

Harry
Kwesdog is offline Find More Posts by Kwesdog
Old Dec 23, 2003, 06:53 PM
Joined Jul 2003
838 Posts
Thanks Kwesdog! I think that's what I'll do then. The way it looks, $79.00 for the plane without the motor, gearbox, and esc, is the better way to go. With the $50.00 saved, I can get that gws 350+ gearbox, and a higher rated esc. I'll do the lipo setup as well. Anyone have a good gear combo for the 350 with this? A,B,C,D? What would be a good prop for this too?

P.S. Sorry everyone, I just read above ctparent's setup is exactly what I was looking for.
Last edited by Capgun_Slim; Dec 23, 2003 at 06:58 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:18 PM
Bought at a price.
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
I too will have to settle for the "knuckle-dragging" low-tech set up for a while.

I still need to save up for a li-po charger, but help me out here. Are li-po's inflammable after a crash for real? I mean,... I crash alot!
Old Dec 24, 2003, 02:17 AM
Joined Jul 2003
838 Posts
From what I've read in these threads, a fire after a hard crash is a possibility. They can take a beating, but not as much as Nimh packs. One thing I do know, is after you have a hard crash, pull the lipo's out immediately, and set them somewhere safe, like in an empty parking lot if you happen to be flying on a sports field. From what I've read, if a fire is going to happen, it will happen within the first 15-30 minutes after the crash. Also, it's not only a crash that makes these things catch on fire. It happens at times while charging as well. I've seen a small video of an explosion/fire of an overcharged lipoly battery, under a controlled situation, and I must say, it wasn't pretty. I bought a Astroflight 109 a month or so ago, but have yet to use it. I don't even own Li-poly batteries yet, but I figured, I'd better start with a charger first, (Duh!). If you feel unsure about handling li-poly's as I was, Just get the charger first, then read up on everything you can about them until you feel you're informed enough to make the jump. That's about where I'm at now. On my next plane and parts purchase, I'll be buying some li-poly's.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 05:15 PM
Bought at a price.
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I have to admit, that doesn't make li-po's sound very attractive. So then..... what are their advantages again?

Thanks again.