HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
745 Posts
Discussion
Stuff for troops

It's not my thread, but I like the cause. If you have something sitting around that you want to get rid of, consider sending it to these guys in Afghanistan. I think it would make their day. I'm gonna go dig around and see what I have that they could use too. Lets help put a smile on these troops face, it's the least we can do for them. Thanks.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1801139
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 AM
USAFA RC Club
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Nov 2012
75 Posts
Awesome!
USAFA RC Club is online now Find More Posts by USAFA RC Club
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
841 Posts
Shipping to Afghanistan must be horrible. Is there a central receiving place here in the states that can go through all the donations, repackage as needed and then maybe get a military hop for shipping? I've got several 40 sized planes that I'd love to get rid of, but I can't pay for shipping all of it. I'm sure there are lot's of people that would be glad to donate if there wasn't any hassle or further expense.

You need some volunteers with big trucks to drive routes from Chicago, Dayton, Phili, Orlando, Dallas etc to collect RC club gathered donations some time in Feb or March. Which should give enough time for a July 4th delivery date target.

This could be the perfect kind of thing that the big companies love to sponsor. After the final sorting and packaging, they would be glad to kick in what ever areas need more of like glue and field equipment etc.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, AZ, Sahuarita
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Thanks for post are son is there
lovescale is offline Find More Posts by lovescale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:21 PM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,757 Posts
Ya shipping anything out there can be a little rough, it will go though hell going out there. We shipped using tough boxes and still those would get damaged at times. Just have to remember that it is a combat zone, granted they sound like they are in a central location so it will not be airdropped in that helps.
skydvejam is online now Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:00 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
745 Posts
I haven't looked at shipping yet, but I like the idea of hitting up a larger company to help sponsor the shipping effort. I know in the post he said that they would pay shipping, but to me that kind of defeats the purpose a bit. I just know that if I were there I would love to be able to fly. Anything helps.
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:30 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Apr 2007
768 Posts
Thanks guys, buddy of mine and I started the thread. We work with UAV platoons here.
A few things come to mind. Our mail is not airdropped, the packages make it here w/reletively little damage, Dustin gets park zone stuff w/no damage. This is something that could be done at FOB size posts. COPs are smaller and might not support this kind of activity. If you know any one deployed here that r/c's , see if they want to do something similar and just set up a thread to support it. As for us, were trying to keep it simple with gliders and basics. As long as you send airplanes in a double box they will almost always get here in good shape, I haven't seen a broken one yet. Parcel post wont be anything different than if you sent something to NY. I guess this thing is still going to last a while so between Dustin myself and other guys we should be able to set up something that will sustain itself when were gone. Thanks for all the consideration as its way boring here and lifting in the gym gets old fast. -Guy
rsrguy3 is offline Find More Posts by rsrguy3
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
135 Posts
Awesome guys. Rc is a great stress relief for soldiers over there. I am speaking from experience. Now that I am back stateside it is a coping mechanism for me with ptsd. Too bad I dont have the money to get and build some of the stuff I want but my favorite part is building rc cars from parts. Watch out about sending planes though some places have restricted fly zones over there even for rc. I dont know if its mentioned but its best to stick to electric getting fuel overthere is a pita.
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:33 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Apr 2007
768 Posts
The JR radio high start and other goodies just arrived. Were waiting for some gliders to make it here so we can start! Thanks guys.
Last edited by rsrguy3; Jan 23, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Apr 2007
768 Posts
I'm happy to report we now have 3 radio's in country, two just made it in from Michigan, thanks! Were waiting for airframes now, any busted stuff will do, we'll just fix'm here so if you have ugly broken but repairable gliders give us a heads up and we'll get you an address to ship them to.-Guy
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:05 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Bit of a bump,
It needs to be mentioned that these guys are using a US address. You pay shipping to New York and Uncle Sam takes over from there.

Even easier for me, I can MPS stuff to them for free. I have a few FM and AM systems laying around... Should have receivers too.

Guy, are you able to receive LiPo's down there? Our mail comes through Ramstein and they're flagging batteries and returning them. Nicad n NiMH are fine though.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:01 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Apr 2007
768 Posts
None of the lipo's we have ordered were sent back. Were good on radio equipment right now, at this point we just need old gliders to stick them in and maybe a couple of rx batt packs.-Guy
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:48 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,757 Posts
Yep they lifted the LiPo ban for APO's.
skydvejam is online now Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
I'm heading to Afghanistan in 13 days and when I get there I can post the address where me and my guys will be and if anyone wants to send rc related stuff, I'm sure it will keep us busy while we are there.

Might I ad something here, perhaps tips.

Not sure if shipping nitro is possible. If it isn't then electrics would be best. As far as planes.....would think small planes with a wingspan no bigger than 24 inches would be best....wouldn't want someone to shoot the plane down or think the wrong things. Rc cars and trucks would be great as well. I know there's a lot more of my guys that know how to drive cars and trucks than know how to fly helis and planes. It's all up to you guys. Let me know if I can be any help.

If you all want a centralized location to ship to , then have a big shipment go over to Afghanistan, I can get my rear detachment SFC to ship over to Afghanistan.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Just let me know if I can help in any way.

Mark.
mshay is offline Find More Posts by mshay
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:18 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Quick note Mark, you shouldn't post your address here, but you can provide it via PM if someone has a donation. You should start another thread if your looking for specifics. This one points to a post in the glider forum.

USPS won't take nitro and even gave me trouble shipping a used engine once. Also, watch out with your shipment. We had a guy burned over here for moving R&R supplies labeled as pro-gear. They made him pay to send it back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshay View Post
I'm heading to Afghanistan in 13 days and when I get there I can post the address where me and my guys will be and if anyone wants to send rc related stuff, I'm sure it will keep us busy while we are there.

Might I ad something here, perhaps tips.

Not sure if shipping nitro is possible. If it isn't then electrics would be best. As far as planes.....would think small planes with a wingspan no bigger than 24 inches would be best....wouldn't want someone to shoot the plane down or think the wrong things. Rc cars and trucks would be great as well. I know there's a lot more of my guys that know how to drive cars and trucks than know how to fly helis and planes. It's all up to you guys. Let me know if I can be any help.

If you all want a centralized location to ship to , then have a big shipment go over to Afghanistan, I can get my rear detachment SFC to ship over to Afghanistan.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Just let me know if I can help in any way.

Mark.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77