SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,133 Posts
very nice work. Can you post a picture of the OSD overlay?
thanks,
Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:27 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2004
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Can you post a picture of the OSD overlay?
Yes, of course. There are 4 basic screens + menu.

First layout based on F16

Second identical with Mega644 (ancestor of this version)

User defined 1

User defined 2

Main menu:
pitlab is offline Find More Posts by pitlab
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:59 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
431 Posts
Due to fully customizable two user layouts available in Pitlab OSD, there is almost infinite layouts possible (and in fact used).
Some of them, from our polish FPV forum, with owners nicks (I hope they dont't mind I've copied them here)

"Happy New Year" layout by Zbipok

"Mind your battery" by Rufio

"Nothing special" by Krall

Each user layout can be easily read from / write to OSD, or even stored in XML file and shared with other users.
Zbig is offline Find More Posts by Zbig
Last edited by Zbig; Jan 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:10 AM
Poland, Masovian Voivodeship, Warsaw
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
One movie per 1000 words
Pitlab&Zbig OSD 2.08 new features (1 min 47 sec)
rycerz100 is offline Find More Posts by rycerz100
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:17 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
431 Posts
It's my own layout here as example of some new features.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:53 AM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
745 Posts
Can other than the EagleTree airspeed sensors be used?
APM for example?
http://store.diydrones.com/Kit_MPXV7...v7002dp-01.htm

Is there a flight summary screen available to look at after a flight is completed?
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by henkvdw; Jan 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:33 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
431 Posts
Yes, summary after flight is available. So far it shows:
-max speed
-track travelled
-max distance from base
-max altitude reached
-average mAh consumed per kilometer (or mile).

MPXV7002 with analog output is not supported so far. To be honest I'm using ET sensor in mySkySurfer, but only for testing purposes.
In my opinion airsped is not necessary for safe flight. Maybe my airplanes are stall-resistant (SkySurfer, EasyGlider, TwinStar), but I've used autopilot and flight stabilisation for couple of years without Airspeed sensor at all, with no problems. Maybe other planes are different and requires more care during flight. What is your experience in this subject?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:50 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Another feature that would be handy, and I've been disappointed that it isn't available in DragonOSD, is heading hold mode with optional altitude hold using GPS data. The auto-correction gain should also be adjustable so that the operator can choose how smooth the movements are. The goal is to assist in FPV sight-seeing by setting the airplane on a straight-ahead course and allowing the pilot to use the pan/tilt to look around freely without concern for the plane's location. The menu setting could look something like

Heading hold:
Off
On without Alt. Hold
On with Alt. Hold

Heading hold gain:
0-10

Altitude hold gain:
0-10
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:53 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,622 Posts
Does it support magnetometer or is GPS solely used for course calculation?

Is support for multicopters planned or already in the works?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2004
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Does it support magnetometer or is GPS solely used for course calculation?
User can define what course want to use: CMG course from GPS or magnetic course from magnetometer sensor.
Similar is with altitude. It can be taken from GPS or from barometric altimeter.

Quote:
Is support for multicopters planned or already in the works?
Actually not, but has everything what typical multicopter flight controller has.
pitlab is offline Find More Posts by pitlab
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:38 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
431 Posts
So far Autopilot supports only fixed wings airplanes. But there is a lot of multirotor controllers, and in my opinion integrating OSD with most popular ones seems to be better idea, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Another feature that would be handy, and I've been disappointed that it isn't available in DragonOSD, is heading hold mode with optional altitude hold
Interesting question!
For sight-seeing it seems quite obvious to use "head hold" to keep airplane's nose in this same "magnetic" angle. But for sure it doesn't mean keeping stable course (due to potential side-wind which causes out-of-course drift).
One can expect as well in this case to keep cmg (course made good from GPS) and compensate drift caused by wind. What is better?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:08 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbig View Post
So far Autopilot supports only fixed wings airplanes. But there is a lot of multirotor controllers, and in my opinion integrating OSD with most popular ones seems to be better idea, isn't it?

Interesting question!
For sight-seeing it seems quite obvious to use "head hold" to keep airplane's nose in this same "magnetic" angle. But for sure it doesn't mean keeping stable course (due to potential side-wind which causes out-of-course drift).
One can expect as well in this case to keep cmg (course made good from GPS) and compensate drift caused by wind. What is better?
Generally this 'sight seeing' is done well above any altitude that would cause any concern if it drifted with the wind - we're talking maybe 30 seconds of use at a time, but possibly more. The goal would be to have a hands-free experience, and as long as it is capable of keeping the airplane more or less on the right track that's good enough. Even if you used only GPS data to keep it in a 10 degree general direction with adjustments to the heading every 2-3 seconds (no need for instant correction).

Another thought I had was to create a phantom-waypoint and have the autopilot fly to it as a means to keep it on a predictable path. When 'Heading hold' mode is enabled, it computes a point on the current heading maybe 5 miles away and attempts to auto-pilot itself there, leaving the human free to look around. When this mode is disabled, the waypoint vanishes. If the mode is enabled again, the waypoint is calculated and created as new. The human pilot should have complete override ability with stick input if this is possible, but within 5 seconds of no input changes - ignoring standard TX fluctuations - it should attempt to fly to that phantom waypoint again, using the present altitude (optional I suppose).

I envision a pilot trying to reach a mountain peak, or an ocean vista, or a cloud base at a distance and having the AP handle the heading - and optionally the steady altitude - while the pilot looks around for his landmarks, watches out for other FS aircraft, and things like that.

Also there are some pilots looking to achieve long distance FPV records who sit for 6-8 hours flying the plane. There is no telling where the favorable winds and thermals will be so you cannot program your waypoints from the ground. If you find something you like and activate heading hold you can work on other functions and take away some of the monotony of such a trip.

There are some more situations to think up but I think it's a start of something useful.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:26 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,622 Posts
One feature that would be cool but no OSD has it is wind drift calculation. What I mean is that the OSD use magnetic heading, airspeed and GPS to calculate the wind vector. This vector could then show on the OSD as info (direction + speed). Also the AP could use it for better navigation.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:55 AM
Kartuzy, Poland
Joined Feb 2004
125 Posts
Quote:
One feature that would be cool but no OSD has it is wind drift calculation. What I mean is that the OSD use magnetic heading, airspeed and GPS to calculate the wind vector. This vector could then show on the OSD as info (direction + speed). Also the AP could use it for better navigation.
That's what i'm talking about to Zbig from few months ;-)
I hope he will do this.

I use PitLab OSD/AP since half year and i don't want to any other

My movie from the one of the early tests:
Ursus FPV: Zbig OSD+AP test #4 (3 min 52 sec)

edit:

example installation:

in Cularis (first version of AP with vertical pins):

And current in X8:
krall is offline Find More Posts by krall
Last edited by krall; Jan 19, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:36 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krall View Post
That's what i'm talking about
..and of course option for automatic cancellation of this indication each 100m in altitude or 1km in distance, or 5 minutes of flight, because wind can change in any way - I mean speed and direction - I hope it occurs often not only in my country (or region)... But anyway Krall reminds me about this feature in zealous regularity :-)

Quote:
Generally this 'sight seeing' is done well above any altitude that would cause any concern if it drifted with the wind - we're talking maybe 30 seconds of use at a time, but possibly more. The goal would be to have a hands-free experience, and as long as it is capable of keeping the airplane more or less on the right track that's good enough
When talking about 30sec – in such a short period just STABilisation mode will keep airplane level (when sticks are in neutral position) and thus keep airplane on the track or just very slightly turning. It will be close (to some extend) to head-hold in a sense of not changing heading rapidly or in unexpected manner. Further you can trim airplane and store this trim values also during flight, so in short period it will be enough. You can forget about controlling airplane and keep sigh-seeing without worry.
Imagine that my Easy Glider is so bend, unbalanced and badly trimmed, so when I turn off STAB mode in seconds it is out of track and falls into ground, circling, rolling over etc, but it is enough to switching STAB on, and this “crazy horse” is level and calm like a lamb, even in strong wind it glides without shaking.
Quote:
Even if you used only GPS data to keep it in a 10 degree general direction with adjustments to the heading every 2-3 seconds (no need for instant correction).
Keeping GPS course or magnetic heading? That is the question! What do you expected when you see your target straight ahead? You turn on this “magic feature” to keep flying and start looking around. After minute you take control back and… What will be straight ahead in the center of screen? Still your target? (it is possible when you choose “keep magnetic heading”) Or maybe quite unexpected point 45 degree away from your target? (when you choose “keep CMG from GPS” and there is strong side-wind)?

Quote:
Another thought I had was to create a phantom-waypoint and have the autopilot fly to it as a means to keep it on a predictable path. When 'Heading hold' mode is enabled, it computes a point on the current heading maybe 5 miles away and attempts to auto-pilot itself there, leaving the human free to look around. When this mode is disabled, the waypoint vanishes. If the mode is enabled again, the waypoint is calculated and created as new. The human pilot should have complete override ability with stick input if this is possible, but within 5 seconds of no input changes - ignoring standard TX fluctuations - it should attempt to fly to that phantom waypoint again, using the present altitude (optional I suppose). I envision a pilot trying to reach a mountain peak, or an ocean vista, or a cloud base at a distance and having the AP handle the heading - and optionally the steady altitude - while the pilot looks around for his landmarks, watches out for other FS aircraft, and things like that.
Aha! Quite reasonably approach when pilot wanted an assistance in long-term flight to reach desired point. But how autopilot will know where exactly this destination point is? Exactly in the middle on the screen (but 5 miles ahead)? Or maybe 5 miles ahead according to actual CMG course from GPS (taking actual drift into account)? There will be 2 different points far away each other!

Quote:
Also there are some pilots looking to achieve long distance FPV records who sit for 6-8 hours flying the plane. There is no telling where the favorable winds and thermals will be so you cannot program your waypoints from the ground. If you find something you like and activate heading hold you can work on other functions and take away some of the monotony of such a trip. There are some more situations to think up but I think it's a start of something useful.
In fact “phantom waypoint” is in my opinion far better idea than just “head hold” (which to some extend is provided by STAB mode), especially when this phantom point will be shown on “radar” beside (or instead) waypoints:

But again: where exactly this point will be?