Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:08 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
JohnathanSwift's Avatar
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,164 Posts
Read up-the 787 has the least pressure differential of any aircraft.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:23 AM
Restful User
Jacques Flambeau's Avatar
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave View Post
Another thing mentioned in some of the media coverage was the lack of a monitoring/warning system for the aircrew.

Additionally, the FAA was (supposedly) concerned about the batteries and worked with Boeing to develop "mitigations" (I am not familiar with what these mitigations are) ... evidently the FAA has some serious concerns that the mitigations failed.

It will be interesting to read the NTSB report when it is published.
Like I said, Boeing (or their subcontractor) was probably pushing the performance envelope too far. They probablyporposed some "band-aid" solutions to NTSB which didn't wash. IMO, Air Japan reacted properly and lit a fire under the Feds. The earlier fuel leaks were also worrisome.

PPRuNe, a UK pro pilot's discussion board, has a good thread on this issue:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...unds-787s.html

The Dreamliner is a international project-- here is a graphic from the above thread:



--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:33 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
JohnathanSwift's Avatar
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,164 Posts
A bridge too far....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
whiirrrrrr
srt8madness's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Possibly they were using HK equipment.
When I saw the title I was going to say "I guess they're using hobbyking batts".

Beat me to it!
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:58 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
JohnathanSwift's Avatar
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
When I saw the title I was going to say "I guess they're using hobbyking batts".

Beat me to it!
Can't you just see the Boeing warranty claim and the reply: NTSB report, which the on-line support rejects!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Like I said, Boeing (or their subcontractor) was probably pushing the performance envelope too far.
What does this have to do with a battery monitoring and disconnect system?

BTW thank you for the link to the PPRune forum. Interesting and informative discussion.
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
Registered User
HELModels's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Read up-the 787 has the least pressure differential of any aircraft.
What I've read is a difference of 500 feet from others. They say it makes a difference in comfort. Something was wrong with that battery, but what and why. Who knows, maybe it was damaged before ever leaving the battery factory. It'd be useful if they can trace it and repeat it in testing.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
JohnathanSwift's Avatar
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,164 Posts
Well, that's not the spec I've read: seems it is much closer to 29.92 than any other system.

"Comfort" is the natural, but not the only consequence of being closer to sea level pressure.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Thanks for posting that graphic, Bill.

Interesting how the corporation has apparently decided to exchange an offshore component supply chain, requiring a huge overhead of middle management and inspectors for domestic worker wages.
I don't think it will fare well for us, here in the states.
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Twizter68's Avatar
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,023 Posts
Hm. A LiPO caught fire...gee, that's NEVER happened before.



They should refit for SLABs, until they get this issue figured out.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave View Post
Another thing mentioned in some of the media coverage was the lack of a monitoring/warning system for the aircrew.

Additionally, the FAA was (supposedly) concerned about the batteries and worked with Boeing to develop "mitigations" (I am not familiar with what these mitigations are) ... evidently the FAA has some serious concerns that the mitigations failed.

It will be interesting to read the NTSB report when it is published.

I my own considerable experience with the FAA, "mitigations" come in the form of a mountain of reports, studies and committee results that can be piled up sufficiently high to cover any potentially responsible FAA employees ass from being directly observed and/or targeted.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
I my own considerable experience with the FAA, "mitigations" come in the form of a mountain of reports, studies and committee results that can be piled up sufficiently high to cover any potentially responsible FAA employees ass from being directly observed and/or targeted.
Indeed.

Are you familiar with the mitigations that were supposedly put in place (regarding the battery)? I am curious.

"Mountain of paper" doesn't count, lol.
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:18 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave View Post
Indeed.

Are you familiar with the mitigations that were supposedly put in place (regarding the battery)? I am curious.

"Mountain of paper" doesn't count, lol.
Not specifically, but I am quite sure that Boeing wanted to use those batteries and provided the ample butt cover to the FAA in form of said heap of documents.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
... I am quite sure that Boeing wanted to use those batteries and provided the ample butt cover to the FAA in form of said heap of documents.
I wouldn't be surprised, lol.
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:43 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
...I'd be reluctant to say Boeing was set on any specific batteries...

They have experience and a track record...
Concerns are reliability, power to weight ratio, size, and cost efficiency.
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FBI, DEA thwart terror plot in U.S. involving Iran, officials say Michael in Toronto Life, The Universe, and Politics 80 Oct 14, 2011 07:28 PM
Discussion New Battery Technology - Scientists say paper battery could be in the works Bombay Batteries and Chargers 10 Dec 09, 2009 07:04 AM
Discussion Official Announcement from AirThunder Li-Poly Battery, LLC barryhu Batteries and Chargers 2 Nov 22, 2007 01:02 AM
Discussion uce-bestbuy, site says they are in Calif but they ship from China ???? rcer2007 Electric Plane Talk 8 Sep 19, 2007 08:56 PM
Swollen LiPo 1500Mah Battery. GeorgeZilla Pusher Prop Jet Models 6 Jun 12, 2005 07:34 PM