HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:54 AM
Germany, NDS, Hanover
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Mini-Review
Project for Jet-Backpack - RC-Plane sized...

Hi this is team Skyflash from germany,

we are designing, calculating and building a new kind of backpack-airplane for more than five years now. As we are build upon a team of flight enthusiasts and engineers spending their freetime with this, we want to come in contact with people who might be interested in our project =)
Our idea is an airplane which you simply strap to your back to fly more than one hour with a maximum speed of about 200mph. The airframe contains two turbojet engines with 160hp combined power output and the whole plane is controlled only by the movements of the pilots body. Itīs a combination of CG-based and aerodynamic control.
Skyflash Homepage

We will be powered by two 130N JetCraft turbojets with thrust-pipe and some modifications - Some of you might know them as "G-Booster"-turbines or even as Jetcraft from RC-jets :-) We run them on HP-Diesel with 5% Aeroshell 560 for best performance. Our engine start up is visible in our first video on youtube (bit of a wetstart because of the not horizontally aligned turbine)...

Jet Powered Skateboard, 80hp! (2 min 23 sec)

Our latest high-speed taxi runs were the last with only one engine. Next runs will be performed with two engines.

Backpack Human Flying Kit - High-Speed Taxi (3 min 10 sec)

We hope to find people who share our dream of unlimited freedom of flight to maybe bring up a concept which could be affordable and easy to fly. It shall not need any parachute or cliff/airplane for normal operation

Best regards from germany!
team_skyflash is offline Find More Posts by team_skyflash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,336 Posts
Better you than me, good luck
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,347 Posts
good luck.. can't wait to see it airborne.. I really can't wait to see the landing
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
good luck.. can't wait to see it airborne.. I really can't wait to see the landing
When I got my first RC airplane kit the guy at the LHS told me he puts a plastic garbage bag in all his planes, in case he crashes he pulls out the bag and picks up the pieces. I wonder if that would be of any use in this case? lol
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:25 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
In this case would the plastic trash bag be called.............Body bag?
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
idk. looks good but it still seems that we have too many deaths from car crashes on the ground. i dont think we need to add the air to it. but anyway good luck and if i ever see one for sale at the right price ill be sure to buy it. even if it is just to put in the pool room
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Feb 18, 2014, 07:44 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2014
16 Posts
Isn't Jetman Yves Rossy already doing this less the skateboard?

the best way to test this concept for take off and landing (with idea of not being seriously injured or killed) would have to be like the RedBull Birdman contest where ordinary folk and their flying contraptions run and launch off a platform into a water.

should try a wider narrow wingspan (for the same weight) so that you get that glider effect at low speed judging by the max speed you need to get airborne in you videos.
CrispyBacon77 is offline Find More Posts by CrispyBacon77
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:17 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
I keep hearing the theme song for Benny Hill running thru my head......
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:44 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,824 Posts
Some good practice would be to drive a motorcycle 100mph. Now IMAGINE twice that speed. Do you really think someone can tolerate that for an hour? Sounds like an extreme endurance run. Imagine your physical condition after an hour when you have to land.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:01 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,066 Posts
I think you'll have to rely on a parachute for your landing... I don't see any way around it. Vertical Takeoff AND Landing probably won't happen with any sort of usable range or fuel economy... and I don't see a lot of people being enthusiastic about laying face first on a dolly to takeoff.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:58 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2014
16 Posts
have a look at this jetpack - http://www.martinjetpack.com/

they should put a wing on this!!
CrispyBacon77 is offline Find More Posts by CrispyBacon77