HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:11 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Ughhhhhhhhh. Interesting, I almost had the exact experience today. Flew my MSRx inside, was buzzing around and, like many, I've gotten pretty comfortable with it close to my face. Took my eye off of it for a second, and it was suddenly within inches of my face.

This was a good reminder. No more "not ducking" when it comes my way.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, MA, Norwood
Joined Dec 2006
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenta View Post
For people that want to change the gyro gain: (not included in the manual)

- activate the gyro in your transmitter
- assign the gyro to a switch on your transmitter
- rebind your mcpx bl

now you can change the gyro settings by using your gyro menu

I hope this helps!

Jeroen
It worked for me, when I first got my mCP bl - I happened to have my DX8 gear/gyro switch on 0, (100%) and then bind to the heli. The tail would alway hunt unless I switch it to 0% (position 1) or no hunt at all at -100% (switch position 2)
heloguy is offline Find More Posts by heloguy
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, MA, Norwood
Joined Dec 2006
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heloguy View Post
It worked for me, when I first got my mCP bl - I happened to have my DX8 gear/gyro switch on 0, (100%) and then bind to the heli. The tail would alway hunt unless I switch it to 0% (position 1) or no hunt at all at -100% (switch position 2)
Correction: I mean the flap/gyro switch
heloguy is offline Find More Posts by heloguy
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:27 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler210 View Post
so i just finally took my brand new mcpx bl out of the box and decided to to its maiden flight.. after hours of research on proper setup!

First of all it bound properly, then..

It started to spin and instantly started to fall back on its tail. I thought I had mounted the battery wrong so i checked, nothing wrong. Started to spin again, same thing. double checked all trims were centered, they were. So i tried again, still wanted to fall on its tail. So i tried to take off and counter with some forward cyclic. Instantly tipped back and smacked the blades off the ground. Tried once more.. then i started smelling buring plastic!! so I quickly tried to disconnect battery, and both tail and main motor were SMOKING!!! wow, i
cant even describe my disappointment. any suggestions on what went wrong. it will be returned tuesday
Just thought I would give an update; recieved the fixed heli tonight. WOW, much more power than expected but this thing is stable! I flew with recommended settings. As a beginner flying in a smaller apartment it was quite nimble, but managable. Hovered well no wag issues or drifting. Stock batteries seem to only provide about 3-5 mins flying time, not bad. I cannot wait for a nice day to bring it outside!

Also, I found a 300mah turnigy nano-tech lipo on hobbyking.com that Im thinking of ordering, has anyone had any experience with these. Any better options out there
Rustler210 is offline Find More Posts by Rustler210
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:22 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Prepping my newly repaired mCPX BL for tomorrow. I did a few mods:

- got rid of the plastic vertical stabilizer which flap/vibrate too much
- put a groove in the tail motor mount and glued a carbon fiber rod to keep the tail blades from hitting the ground
- glued on tail boom supports to keep from breaking the tail boom and stiffen the tail section for better tail authority
- switched to a different tail blades which I had for my mCPX brushless conversion (don't like the stock blades which bend/flatten too easily)
- turned on the gyro control and set it to +50% (seemed to work the best at reducing tail wag)

She hovers well and is stable - should be fun tomorrow.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:28 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,235 Posts
Seems like alot of work lol. Mine is stock flies fine.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Yeah, "fine" is a word I rarely use except as a nice way of saying to someone "It's not broken, but I don't like it." Part of the fun of this hobby, for me anyways, is tweaking my models to see if I can get better performance and then flying it as hard as I can to see if it worked. None of my models stay stock very long unless it's a spare used for comparison.

It's not for everyone, but I would bet the mCPX BL will have a thriving hop up market before long.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:28 AM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,235 Posts
Walkera blades?

J
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Walkera blades?

J
Yup.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:32 AM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,235 Posts
Ughhh
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:24 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
YES! Back in the air! My bearings, swash plate, and pushrods arrived today - for those of you who crash, a little warning - a good solid crash WILL send these parts in separate directions. Before you pick up your copter, make sure everything is attached.

But mine is back in the air and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy flying it. It's so much bigger, heavier, and more powerful than anything I've ever owned, and it's a treat to fly. I need more room to practice flipping and inverted flight. Most of the time, my yard is big enough, but when things start to head south, east, or west unexpectedly, I run out of room in a hurry.

Did a few flips today, but it's blowing 10-20 and I don't feel like replacing parts again, so mostly I settled for lapping around the yard. I find that I have a harder time getting nice, smooth coordinated turns with this than I do w/ my other helis (MSRx, Nano). Gotta work on that.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:23 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Finally have my new MCPX BL. Just finished setting up the tx and charging the battery, now time to spool her up. Yay.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:43 AM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Well, initial flight shows a bit of a tail wag which is there throughout all maneuvers (basic level flight), lots of power compared to its predecessor, running 20% expo had it about the same response as 0 on the v1 also.

Gyro gain seemed to have little effect between -100 0 +100, being set to the 3pos gyro switch on my DX7s at the gear channel. Any confirmation as to whether this is correct would be nice please?!0_o

What have been the best tail wag remedies without major modifications? It seems to be always hunting. I am thinking of jamming my KBDD tail rotor on to see if it changes anything, but I don't want to ream it out and waste it as it will no longer fit my nano if I do.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:23 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
I just put a new one on and it lasted 2 flights. My heli has decided to be a complete pain in the and have a mind of its own and plow itself into the ground whenever it feels like it.. I think I'm on boom 3. I just made a solid one.

By the way I've found 2 new "glue" type things that Ive found to be super useful.

ShoeGoo and Liquid electrical tape. The liquid electrical tape is almost exactly the same thing that blade is using on the tail servo connectors. I just coated my solid boom with it over the tail motor wires it dries and becomes black rubber.
My helicopter decides to do that often as well

I love the liquid tape and use that for all sorts of stuff. The plastic dip is good stuff to

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
VERY nice flying, by the way! Man, what a pleasure to watch. Smooth, controled movements, not so fast that it looks random. I can only hope that one day I can get my flips to look like that!

In the first few flips, are you pumping the collective first before you begin the rotation? I think I'm still reacting to the "drop" - i.e.:
1) start from level,
2) apply hard elevator,
3) begin applying negative pitch at roughly the halfway point of rotation,
4) hold negative pitch to maintain inverted hover,
5) repeat the process in reverse . . . .

Oh, wait, that's what I INTEND to do. In reality, it is something more like:

1) Try to maintain level flight
2) Eventually give up and settle for "somewhat stable" flight,
3) Take deep breath
4) Think about how much this is about to cost me
5) Rationalize the expense away
6) Apply hard elevator
7) Realize the heli is moving faster than I can think
8) Panic
9) Duck as the whirling Ghinsu blades make a bee-line towards my face
10) Lose sight of the helicopter
11) Apply full negative collective pitch and think "Use the force, Luke"
12) Random things begin happening at that point. But sometimes it actually hovers upside down and I smile smuggly and decide to tempt fate again with another attempt. Sometimes things don't go well. In either case, I inevitably end up at:
13) Drag my defeated, humiliated, frustrated self inside, show my wife the remains of my helicopter with the vain hopes that she will be sympathetic, but instead attempt to explain where the money for the repairs will come from.
14) Wait a few days until she forgets about it, sneak onto the computer or into the LHS, put minimum number of parts into my shopping cart to get flying again, begin to check out, stop checking out, add more, less necessary parts to my shopping cart, check out. Avoid wife for several weeks, since she is no longer speaking to me.
15) Rinse and repeat.
You always give me a good laugh in your posts

On the flying thanks, it is easy to get there and you will be able to easily do that soon, just crash often

On flipping in that video I wasn't trying hard to do level flips but usually it is more like:

1)Apply positive collective
2) snap elevator
3) as it gets perpendicular to the ground BE at 0 pitch
4) as it pulls out of the perpendicular portion apply negative pitch softly to catch it

wash rinse , repeat as necessary
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:29 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz_01 View Post
Well, initial flight shows a bit of a tail wag which is there throughout all maneuvers (basic level flight), lots of power compared to its predecessor, running 20% expo had it about the same response as 0 on the v1 also.

Gyro gain seemed to have little effect between -100 0 +100, being set to the 3pos gyro switch on my DX7s at the gear channel. Any confirmation as to whether this is correct would be nice please?!0_o

What have been the best tail wag remedies without major modifications? It seems to be always hunting. I am thinking of jamming my KBDD tail rotor on to see if it changes anything, but I don't want to ream it out and waste it as it will no longer fit my nano if I do.
I think the gain is only effective in adding or lessening stopping speed/power, but has no effect on wag.

KBDD rotor will stop wag but it is not good for fast reverse flights. I had the tail will blow out on every reverse loop and reverse circuit I have tried.

You can use a sewing needle to make it wide enough to fit on the motor easily.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed