HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:24 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
I like the 130X looks and size a lot, but even my Smack 3D mentor sold his off due to ongoing tail issues and high maintenance.

mCPX BL I think is the most trouble free choice. Looks to be a Fun Heli too.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:38 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Nano, MCPX_BL, 130X

THANK YOU! That really helped. Now I have to decide which one (130x vs. MCPX BL) to get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I cant decide which one to get (130x or MCPX BL)

They are priced the same, so it is pretty much boiling down to, which one has more issues.

I am just looking for something to fly in my yard, so either will do.

IT's a big yard, but too small for my 300x.
+1 - I've been thinking the same thing - and that 130x isn't as big as I thought it was. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I like the 130X looks and size a lot, but even my Smack 3D mentor sold his off due to ongoing tail issues and high maintenance.

mCPX BL I think is the most trouble free choice. Looks to be a Fun Heli too.
THANK YOU - I'm leaning that way. The simple tail motor may wag a bit, but I'll take that over a high maintenance alternative. And to think, I just let that deal for the BL for $195 slip by in the classifieds. . . .arrghh
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:45 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Somebody said there is a First Time Buyer discount at RCDepot that will get you one for $200. Was in MA Magazine I believe, might be on their website.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:21 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
I had my 130x up for sale a while ago, but since i spruced it up i have been flying it again and its great. I was thinking about getting the mcpx bl, but the 130x flips so nice and crisp and is fairly durable, especially if you fly over grass and remember to hit the throttle kill if its gonna go in. In stock form its pretty weak and i would bet the mcpx bl would outlast it 5:1. I have upgraded the tail gears, slider and tail blade grips to metal and its been good since. I was also having some head wobble issues and i found some slop in the swash that was taken care of with some thin ca and now it flys great. I'm going to wait on the mcpx bl for now.
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Which bird to get?

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring on this.

Which bird is the best choice? As always, the answer depends on a number of things....

I have a 300X, 130X, and an nCPX. Plus - I still have my 'vintage' V1 mCPX w/linear throttle bl conversion + 4G3 tail motor. I learned to fly CP on it. I put over 100 hours on the bird before the 130X replaced it as my air-superiority aircraft for flying lawn-patrol sorties from the deck. (The rogue chickadee squadrons were very surprised! ) My mCPX has been gathering hangar-dust ever since.

For me, there is no advantage to the mCPX BL over those birds. A number of accomplished heli pilots whom I know have said that it's not really a living room flyer for most people. The original mCPX was even a bit big for my place, so I believe them. I could practice spot-landings on CD cases, hover nose-in, and fly slow circuits around the living room, but I had to go outside to fly FFF or practice aerobatics. The nCPX is my indoor heli now. I can actually do some FFF with it in the living room without worrying about damaging the Paradigm Studio 60s in my high-definition critical listening system if I dumb-thumb it. The possibility of putting a blade through a cone or tweeter was always on my mind when flying the mCPX indoors.

The 130X is now my favorite backyard/fly anywhere heli. It flies just like the big birds. It's extremely precise, it flies very big for its size, it handles a lot of wind for a micro, and it's a lot easier to see than my mCPX. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it also happens to be extremely tough for a fully-capable aerobatic bird. In many ways, it's tougher than my bl V1 mCPX. You can usually pick the 130X up after a crash over grass & just fly again if you hit TH in time. If you don't - parts are cheap! Even when I augered-in at nearly 40 MPH over rolled sod during a maximum-speed high-G turn, the damage was very minor. Just a broken ball on one tail-grip, a bent TT, and a broken fin. Didn't even bend the FS or spring the mainshaft. I decided to throw in a fresh TS & a new set of tail blades while I was at it. It only took a few minutes to fix & another couple of minutes to re-balance the tail. I often lost my mCPX against the background of my woods, and flying it in anything over a 10 MPH breeze wasn't much fun - even after the bl conversion. Plus, it wasn't very precise even with a fresh set of wearable components, and it lacked the momentum for round loops & big-air maneuvers. In contrast - the 130X is surgically-precise, it flies like it's on rails, it barely even notices a 10 MPH breeze, it does big round loops more like a 400, and it's large enough to see when flying the far leg of my lawn-patrol circuit - which is a couple hundred feet from the deck.

The mCPX BL's airframe isn't enough larger than the V1 to be any easier to see in the yard (visibility at a distance is all about airframe size, rather than disk-size). Given that the 130X has a 17% higher disk-loading & a VP tail, I doubt that the BL will handle wind anywhere near as well as the 130X. I also doubt that it will do big-air maneuvers as well. For me, the mCPX BL is just a few years too late. If the bird would have been around when I decided to teach myself how to fly CP, I would have been all over it! However, I am now past the point where I even consider crash-worthiness when buying a heli. I now buy my birds based on how they fly, rather than how they crash, and I have other tools in the toolbox that are better-suited for how & where I fly.

For those who lack basic mechanical skills & wish to stay that way, still crash a lot, and haven't learned to use TH, the mCPX BL may be a better choice for a backyard CP bird. But from what I've heard, it is definitely not a living room flyer unless you're already an accomplished pilot - and many of them even say that it's too much for the house. If you're beyond the crashing stage, have basic mechanical skills or consider them to be important life-skills to learn (which they are, BTW), I think the 130X is the best backyard flyer out there right now. If your primary interest is flying circuits & aerobatics in the house, the nCPX is still the only game in town - unless you already have excellent flying skills or have a very large room in which to fly.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:55 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
I have been flying Heli's since last June. I came from Pattern/3D Planes......

I still haven't managed to hit the throttle hold. Ever!!!!

Except maybe when it's too late.

I own the 300x and 450x. I love them both. I learned on the mcpx v2. I sold it eventually, cuz it lacked powere and didn't fly like I wanted it to.

I have seen both the 130x and mcpx bl in action. They both seem to be great helis. Lots of pros and cons, I will just have to decide. I am sure, I will be happy either way.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Somebody said there is a First Time Buyer discount at RCDepot that will get you one for $200. Was in MA Magazine I believe, might be on their website.
Yes. There is a discount code for first time buyer. Here's the link to get the code

http://www.rcdepothobbies.com/Articles.asp?ID=7
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:36 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,926 Posts
Is it normal for the tail to kick out about 15 degrees or so during hard pitch pumps?
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Is this heli much better than a brushless conversion mCPX? I'm curious to hear from owners of both. I already have brushless conversion mCPXs with more than enough power. The brushless tail interests me, but if it uses the same tail rotor blade as the stock mCPX v2/nCPX, then I have my doubts it's much better than what I already have (120SR motor with upgraded tail rotor blades). My only gripe with the 120SR motor is I wear them out pretty quickly (break them in crashes is probably more accurate).
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:37 PM
gdo
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
again sorry guys just got home and it's 4pm, i will do the video tonight as it is an easy do very little editing with Hamish haha

it flys really nice and fast

cheers chuck

Well here it is at last the heli you have all been asking for, the new Blade mCPX BL Brushless Helicopter and showing us how it flys is our Top young South Australian 3D pilot Hamish Scott, need i say any more, sit back and watch how well this new Blade mCPX BL flies

cheers chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHBVPw-5MhE
I wonder how many boxes they had to open to find Hamish one that actually flew right. I.e. no tail blowout/wag.
gdo is offline Find More Posts by gdo
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Is this heli much better than a brushless conversion mCPX? I'm curious to hear from owners of both. I already have brushless conversion mCPXs with more than enough power. The brushless tail interests me, but if it uses the same tail rotor blade as the stock mCPX v2/nCPX, then I have my doubts it's much better than what I already have (120SR motor with upgraded tail rotor blades). My only gripe with the 120SR motor is I wear them out pretty quickly (break them in crashes is probably more accurate).
Yes I have had both and it is much better than a modded mcpx. much more stable and lots of power.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:00 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Yes I have had both and it is much better than a modded mcpx. much more stable and lots of power.
Cool, I just might have to give it a try.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,926 Posts
One thing these have in common with the brushed mcpx is they lose blade grip linkages almost every crash.. it needs the rubber band connection between linkages mod.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:08 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
One thing these have in common with the brushed mcpx is they lose blade grip linkages almost every crash.. it needs the rubber band connection between linkages mod.
Some guys are putting hot glue across the rotor hub linkage guides.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,926 Posts
Ha! I guess that could work too.