HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:47 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
They're really two different animals. Out of the box the Hornet is a great sport flier, with a basic 3-axis gyro. It's not really ideal for the complete novice, some flying experience is required.

The Phantom has so much more tech under the hood, which makes it a good match for brand new pilots, or pilots looking to have a little fun with some aerial video. The whole idea with the Phantom is that it is completely ready to fly out of the box, so that just about anybody can add a GoPro and go grab some video.
Sounds awesome! Thank you very much for the help
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:01 AM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
131 Posts
Will the phantom lift a gopro from higher altitudes?

I'm curious if the phantom will lift the gopro from higher altitudes? Lets say the field elevation is 5000 feet. Will it have enough power to lift it off the ground?
I emailed DJi but they apparently don't respond to emails.
Don 2416n is offline Find More Posts by Don 2416n
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:32 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,144 Posts
I flew at 6500' with no issues.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:34 AM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I flew at 6500' with no issues.
Thanks Ed.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
I really like the look of the Phantom and its LEDs and everything! But I definitely see what you're saying I'll have a think about it
This looks like the plug and play version but there's no other details about it:
http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=11050
JookSing is offline Find More Posts by JookSing
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:47 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 2416n View Post
I'm curious if the phantom will lift the gopro from higher altitudes? Lets say the field elevation is 5000 feet. Will it have enough power to lift it off the ground?
I emailed DJi but they apparently don't respond to emails.
Can you post your email here with date stamp? I am curious if they don't reply emails. They don't if it is weekends and during holidays. I email dealers carrying DJI products and they also reply emails unless it is on weekends.

When I have question I normally send email to a local dealer and DJI using cc to dealer.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
73 Posts
Battery Charging Question

Hello!

I'm new to the DJI Phantom (and RC at this level) in general, though I am learning very quickly. I have a quick question about the LiPo charging.

Currently, I have the charger that came with the Phantom. I grabbed a couple of Tenergy 3S 25C batteries from Amazon this weekend that arrived today. They have EC3 connections which, as I read in this review, do mate with a little initial coaxing. They appear to both charge and power my Phantom properly. I plan to buy some other recommended, higher quality batteries soon, too - but these met my immediate needs and I happened to find reviews elsewhere after ordering.

I also got a pair of Bluecell LiPo Guard bags today since I've read about the risks of battery fire/explosion. I realized quickly, though, that there's no way the leads on any of this stuff are long enough to keep the battery deep in the bag while charging. The best I can do is have the battery sealed mostly under the velcro flap and the charger right against the vent.

I found extensions for EC3 cables and even XT60 to EC3 adapters, but have had a hard time (save one eBay listing from a HK seller) finding balance cable extensions.

Any suggestions in this regard for a newb? I could stuff the whole charger in the bag and seal it with the battery... but that seems clunky, not to mention not seeing the lights easily to know it's done and to remind me to disconnect.

For the time being, I'm putting the charger and the bags on a large 14"x14" piece of ceramic tile I had around. I might fashion something better, but it's way too cold outside right now to not do this indoors.

Any insights on any or all of the above are appreciated!
- Aaron
halfpress is offline Find More Posts by halfpress
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpress View Post
Hello!

I'm new to the DJI Phantom (and RC at this level) in general, though I am learning very quickly. I have a quick question about the LiPo charging.

Currently, I have the charger that came with the Phantom. I grabbed a couple of Tenergy 3S 25C batteries from Amazon this weekend that arrived today. They have EC3 connections which, as I read in this review, do mate with a little initial coaxing. They appear to both charge and power my Phantom properly. I plan to buy some other recommended, higher quality batteries soon, too - but these met my immediate needs and I happened to find reviews elsewhere after ordering.

I also got a pair of Bluecell LiPo Guard bags today since I've read about the risks of battery fire/explosion. I realized quickly, though, that there's no way the leads on any of this stuff are long enough to keep the battery deep in the bag while charging. The best I can do is have the battery sealed mostly under the velcro flap and the charger right against the vent.

I found extensions for EC3 cables and even XT60 to EC3 adapters, but have had a hard time (save one eBay listing from a HK seller) finding balance cable extensions.

Any suggestions in this regard for a newb? I could stuff the whole charger in the bag and seal it with the battery... but that seems clunky, not to mention not seeing the lights easily to know it's done and to remind me to disconnect.

For the time being, I'm putting the charger and the bags on a large 14"x14" piece of ceramic tile I had around. I might fashion something better, but it's way too cold outside right now to not do this indoors.

Any insights on any or all of the above are appreciated!
- Aaron
try epbuddy, I ordered all my charger, power supply, cables and paraboard from them.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...m4tirdkjsbkov5
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Can you post your email here with date stamp? I am curious if they don't reply emails. They don't if it is weekends and during holidays. I email dealers carrying DJI products and they also reply emails unless it is on weekends.

When I have question I normally send email to a local dealer and DJI using cc to dealer.
I can tell you I sent it on the 5th and asked about what is the highest altitude it will take off from while loaded and if it can be programmed to fly autonomously.
Haven't heard a thing from them.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:32 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
chinese new year means they won't be working for at least a week.

altitude should not be an issue for GPS function. with 9" blade, you should be fine to about 10,000 ft I would think. (not sure what you mean by loaded though)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:43 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
chinese new year means they won't be working for at least a week.

altitude should not be an issue for GPS function. with 9" blade, you should be fine to about 10,000 ft I would think. (not sure what you mean by loaded though)
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense about the New Year.
What I mean by "loaded" is with the gopro on board. Typically, the higher the altitude, the more power it will take to lift. Add in temp and atmospheric conditions ie: density altitude, it can have a detrimental effect on flight performance.
I don't know anything about quad copters but I have a hard time thinking it would perform well upto 10k. I've tried flying motor gliders with plenty of power at 9000 feet and it would not fly. At 8000 feet, near mammoth lakes hospital it took full throttle and as hard as I could throw to get airborne.
But, with 4 propellers, perhaps that will overcome it.
I'm kicking the tires on the phantom. I want to be able to use it with the gopro. It's a little to pricey for me. I'm sure it will come down in time. I'd love to have one but not at that price.
Last edited by Don 2416n; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Adding comment.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
the key to high altitude performance is to match the prop. 8" at sea level has similiar performance with 9" at 7000 ft (due to air density difference) we've flown to near 10k with f550 and except for requiring higher throttle, it flew pretty well. with electric motor, you can increase the size of the prop to offset the thinner air. you can use something like e-calc to estimate how it will perform .

I get about 10 min flight on my phantom at sea level with gopro inside the case with 3S2200 pack.

phantom is pretty affordable considering that it is complete system, you could save a bit by going to f330 or f450 with naza (none gps) I do think it is good for what it is. small multicopter with gopro for calm situation.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2013
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
try epbuddy, I ordered all my charger, power supply, cables and paraboard from them.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...m4tirdkjsbkov5
Perfect. Thanks!

- Aaron
halfpress is offline Find More Posts by halfpress
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:13 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
the key to high altitude performance is to match the prop. 8" at sea level has similiar performance with 9" at 7000 ft (due to air density difference) we've flown to near 10k with f550 and except for requiring higher throttle, it flew pretty well. with electric motor, you can increase the size of the prop to offset the thinner air. you can use something like e-calc to estimate how it will perform .

I get about 10 min flight on my phantom at sea level with gopro inside the case with 3S2200 pack.

phantom is pretty affordable considering that it is complete system, you could save a bit by going to f330 or f450 with naza (none gps) I do think it is good for what it is. small multicopter with gopro for calm situation.
Thanks for the info on that.
I get a kick out of your statement that's its pretty affordable. I guess for most folks on this forum it's affordable. For me, 700 dollars is expensive for what you are getting with this.
There's a lot of people, a lot better off financially than me that can drop that kind of cash for a toy like this. Maybe someday I could justify it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:53 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
well, if there were more competition, but currently, DJI really does not have much competition for naza-m. it is still best in its class IMHO for what it does.

you can get into multicopter for much less money if money is an issue. but cost will be in setup time and other hassles. frankly though, phantom is not great for beginner due to lack of part availability. f330 or f450 probably is better choice for first multi IMHO.
RCG Plus Member