SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
Quick Start Up Question.....

Hey guys, my Phantom should be arriving any day now, just had a quick question. Based on what I think I'm seeing on videos does this platform need to be totally calibrated before the unit will arm and motors will even turn?

The reason why I'm asking is that it's -10 outside and wanted to fire this thing up indoors first. I'm an experienced flyer and have a huge indoor area but with no direct satellite connection.

Thank you in advance for your help...

Tim
TBello is offline Find More Posts by TBello
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:01 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBello View Post
Hey guys, my Phantom should be arriving any day now, just had a quick question. Based on what I think I'm seeing on videos does this platform need to be totally calibrated before the unit will arm and motors will even turn?

The reason why I'm asking is that it's -10 outside and wanted to fire this thing up indoors first. I'm an experienced flyer and have a huge indoor area but with no direct satellite connection.

Thank you in advance for your help...

Tim
Fly ATTi mode indoor.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Fly ATTi mode indoor.
Thank you Sidney, but do you need to first calibrate out doors before the Phantom will fire up? Or does it just fire up apon taking it out of the box?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:22 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,701 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Sidney, but do you need to first calibrate out doors before the Phantom will fire up? Or does it just fire up apon taking it out of the box?
TBello,

I would calibrate the compass prior to flight. Other than that, until you get outside to fly you should be ok. Have fun. It is a great platform. Pay attention to the LED and what it is telling you. I printed out that section of the manual for reference.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:33 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
I believe you have to calibrate the compass outside.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:37 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
I believe you have to calibrate the compass outside.
Away from electrical and magnetic interference is best. A metal building might not be ideal.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
TBello,

I would calibrate the compass prior to flight. Other than that, until you get outside to fly you should be ok. Have fun. It is a great platform. Pay attention to the LED and what it is telling you. I printed out that section of the manual for reference.
Thank you Ed, But still needed that one question/curiosity answered. The Phantom wont arm or activate whats so ever until it is calibrated, right?

Love Tahoe, BTW.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:50 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,701 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Ed, But still needed that one question/curiosity answered. The Phantom wont arm or activate whats so ever until it is calibrated, right?

Love Tahoe, BTW.
My Tx was calibrated at the factory. It would arm out of the box. Charge the lipo, turn on the Tx, plug in the lipo wait for the start up sequence to complete including the warm up, then stuff the lipo into the battery space, close the door and fly. It should be as simple for you. I would suggest that everyone calibrate the compass before flying by the way.

Tahoe is my wannabe permanent home, just not right now.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Feb 09, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:45 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Great review! Looks like this quad can get some great shots

I'm very interested in this quad. My only reservation is that I don't want to use the stock transmitter but rather my 18MZ, simply so I can have everything on one TX. Is there anyway in which I could put Futaba receiver in there and use that instead? If not, is DJI thinking of coming out with a 'PNP' version?

Many thanks
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:18 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Great review! Looks like this quad can get some great shots

I'm very interested in this quad. My only reservation is that I don't want to use the stock transmitter but rather my 18MZ, simply so I can have everything on one TX. Is there anyway in which I could put Futaba receiver in there and use that instead? If not, is DJI thinking of coming out with a 'PNP' version?

Many thanks
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the review!

You can open up the Phantom and hook up your own receiver, just unplug the stock receiver. It's S.Bus compatible too, so can use one of the small 3 channel receivers.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:24 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the review!

You can open up the Phantom and hook up your own receiver, just unplug the stock receiver. It's S.Bus compatible too, so can use one of the small 3 channel receivers.
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Right then, I think I might just sell my DualSky Hornet 460 (great review you did by the way) and get one of these. From what I can tell (although you'll be in a better position to state this ), this quad looks like a more technical Hornet 460
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,701 Posts
Quote:

Right then, I think I might just sell my DualSky Hornet 460 (great review you did by the way) and get one of these. From what I can tell (although you'll be in a better position to state this ), this quad looks like a more technical Hornet 460
If you are going to use your own Tx/Rx why go to the Phantom? You could get a F330 or F450 ARF for less. If you like the form I understand but for just flying it makes no sense to me.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:

They're really two different animals. Out of the box the Hornet is a great sport flier, with a basic 3-axis gyro. It's not really ideal for the complete novice, some flying experience is required.

The Phantom has so much more tech under the hood, which makes it a good match for brand new pilots, or pilots looking to have a little fun with some aerial video. The whole idea with the Phantom is that it is completely ready to fly out of the box, so that just about anybody can add a GoPro and go grab some video.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:19 PM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Great review. If I were rich, I'd get a 12 pack of Phantoms and just fly them all over the place, losing them and crashing them as I go until I ran out and had to buy another 12 pack.

I can really appreciate the ready-to-go design. The fact that the body is all one piece would make me a bit nervous as a crash would probably be a lot more detrimental than crashing a quad with a more modular frame. But that's just speculation.

SCALEFAN: I feel your pain on your lost phantom. I lost a DJI F450 a while back in much the same way. I had RTH set and I imagine it must not have thought home was in the same place I did. There was a very large antenna array nearby, with several different dishes and antennas. I do wonder if that may have caused a problem with the GPS. In any case, I no longer set RTH in the Naza software. I just set failsafe to land.

I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the Phantom and an F450, both flying with GoPros. I'd be curious if the video quality is better on one or the other.

This is really a great deal when I consider that an F450 ARF kit with Naza and GPS is somewhere around $600. And that does not include a battery, a receiver, a charger, landing gear, a camera mount, lights for night flying, or a transmitter. Even having an F450 and F550 now, I'm still tempted to pick up a phantom.
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:47 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
If you are going to use your own Tx/Rx why go to the Phantom? You could get a F330 or F450 ARF for less. If you like the form I understand but for just flying it makes no sense to me.
I really like the look of the Phantom and its LEDs and everything! But I definitely see what you're saying I'll have a think about it
RCG Plus Member