SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:42 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondoflier View Post
thank you for the review .. my question is. What is the difference between the Phantom and any other quad with Dji Naza ? I have a simple frame and motors and am wondering if I should just get the Naza or will gain some benefits by getting the Phantom?
The software assistant that comes with the Phantom is a little different, geared towards the new user. As far as I know, the functions are the same with both versions. (someone else may be able to clarify)
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:23 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,701 Posts
The Phantom Assistant allows for IMU calibration both basic and advanced. The Naza M Assistant does not allow for that. I like the new GUI it has appeared in the new Naza H as well. My guess is that all the DJI products will be sporting this before long. It is a lot easier to navigate in my opinion and the info on the front page is very helpful.

I would also like to offer my congratulations on a very good write up of a fantastic little machine.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:40 PM
USA, IL, Marshall
Joined Jan 2008
33 Posts
Did you have your name and address and phone number on the Phantom? I tape this information to all of my planes. So far, no fly aways, but if it does happen, whoever may find it will know who to contact.
cbusse1 is offline Find More Posts by cbusse1
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:28 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
The compass was calibrated when I got the Phantom in Anaheim, and it was calibrated again before I flew it in Arizona. I really didn't want to have a problem, I didn't want it to fly away, I wanted a neat video.

I didn't need my name and address, the GOPRO on board has a perfect video of me, our house number, the name of the street, and a history of exactly where it went.

Funny thing, many people laughed at the story when I related it to the robot that ran amuck in the movie, Will Smith's job was to find it.

So, My wife butted into the story and advised me to look for it at the bottom of our hill, she said, it's supposed to land itself isn't it? Our house in on a hill and I was flying the Phantom up our steep driveway, I could not walk up the driveway fast enough to see where it went, the house was in the way when it took off..

The drama will continue when I check the bottom of the hill, next trip to Havasu.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:31 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Fingers crossed it will be sitting at the bottom of the hill waiting for you! I hope you find it, good luck.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:43 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
The compass was calibrated when I got the Phantom in Anaheim, and it was calibrated again before I flew it in Arizona. I really didn't want to have a problem, I didn't want it to fly away, I wanted a neat video.

I didn't need my name and address, the GOPRO on board has a perfect video of me, our house number, the name of the street, and a history of exactly where it went.

Funny thing, many people laughed at the story when I related it to the robot that ran amuck in the movie, Will Smith's job was to find it.

So, My wife butted into the story and advised me to look for it at the bottom of our hill, she said, it's supposed to land itself isn't it? Our house in on a hill and I was flying the Phantom up our steep driveway, I could not walk up the driveway fast enough to see where it went, the house was in the way when it took off..

The drama will continue when I check the bottom of the hill, next trip to Havasu.
This is at least the fourth report I've read with near identical circumstances, the Phantom in GPS mode disappearing in the clouds without any control from the TX.

All four were experienced flyers and familiar with the NAZA and GPS/Compass module.

If anyone has a contact at DJI North America, please PM me.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:14 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
201 Posts
GoPro Hero 3 - White and my new Phantom

The attached video is the maiden flight for my new Phantom and my new GoPro Hero 3 - White edition.

Anybody know what causes the wavy video and how to fix it. There has to be a setting somewhere - all the GoPro videos including the videos in this thread are rock steady. BTW, the GoPro is set to 1080p.

DJI Phantom Quad Maiden Flight with GoPro Hero 3 - White Edtiion Camera (1 min 21 sec)
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:20 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
Anybody know what causes the wavy video and how to fix it. There has to be a setting somewhere - all the GoPro videos including the videos in this thread are rock steady. BTW, the GoPro is set to 1080p.
Balance your props. Switch to balanced Graupners if you can.

Shoot 1080/60p.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:22 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Yep, balance your props and the video will improve immensely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:21 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
CSpaced, check this out ..
Received the email this morning from Denny flying Naza-H with Zen 15.

Part-2-2 (1 min 49 sec)
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:29 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
CSpaced, check this out ..
Received the email this morning from Denny flying Naza-H with Zen 15.

https://vimeo.com/59133955
That's a nice setup!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
CSpaced thanks for this article, it explains perfectly the Phantom experience.

I'm doing good photographic work with it. Recently gave me confidence to use it inside of La Sagrada Familia, a place where any accident would be a great disaster.

Volando dentro de la Sagrada Familia ( Part 1) Flying inside footage - DJI Phantom (3 min 4 sec)

I think you've seen in other post, but have not finished the final assembly.
Today after four days without using it, I've been a recording and I had a very strange and persistent problem.
Both in GPS and Atti mode, the phantom is moving slowly to the right. There was no wind, I recalibrated the compass several times, I have not altered the CG, original battery, no accident or stroke ... but the phantom constantly slides to the right.
Original tx has no trims, and can not be adjusted. In GPS mode Phantom position should be corrected...no?

In this state I dare not use it again in the Sagrada Familia
I can only fly there again this Friday ... and I will not have this opportunity.

What can be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance!
joanlesan is offline Find More Posts by joanlesan
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:04 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,701 Posts
@joanlesan

Try to calibrate the IMU. I would do the advanced calibration. Make sure that you follow the instructions. It takes 6-10 minutes. After it is done power down the Phantom for 10 minutes. Recalibrate you compass when you get ready to fly. Hopefully that will help you.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:14 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
In addition, you could calibrate the transmitter too. I would calibrate everything and see if it solves the drift problem. Nice video by the way!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:21 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
613 Posts
I noticed that a maximum takeoff weight is mentioned by DJI, but not a stock weight of the unit with battery.....

What is the realistic payload of the Phantom without modification and with (in addition) to the stock GoPro cam holder?
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member