yeah, that will be awesome.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,254 Posts
I am all set to order one, but I need some clarification. The compass and receiver antenna are in the landing gear legs? I wanted to make my own short legs (no camera wanted). Is that going to mess up the compass and receiver?
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:36 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys.

The compass needs to be at that distance from the Phantom, any closer to the body and it may not function correctly.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:37 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Nice review and nice flying.
That is one sweet Goblin.
My next heli will be the new 500
Thanks, I have a lot of fun with it The 500 is gonna be killer for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:42 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Chris, the review was good and it was honest. The Phantom does work out of the box, but the negative is, that it is an expensive toy for the novice.

Just wanted to point out to the readers....Save the box and packing material, plan for the unexpected, fly in open areas, don't get cocky, get renters or homeowners insurance and make sure it covers this kind of liability, then have fun with a clear mind. I have insurance, but I still was shaking in my boots, what if ?????

Remember, if you can't tell what the Phantom is thinking, you can't fix it. So, don't be naive like me, plan for the unexpected.

One minute, perfect, the next ?
A lot of us already put things up in the air that easily cost two or three times more than the Phantom. Each time I do, I know that I am kissing it goodbye and that this could possibly be its last flight. Its part of the calculated risk we take, and we do as much as we possibly can beforehand to reduce the chance of a malfunction.

That's why I am a proud member of the AMA, and fly at AMA sanctioned flying clubs. The peace of mind is worth it to me, plus the AMA does a huge amount of work behind the scenes to promote and prolong our hobby. Anytime I put my Phantom up outside of these areas I know that I am doing so at my own risk.

I hate that your Phantom flew away, I know a fair number of people who have had fly aways over the years.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,880 Posts
Nice report Chris,
I am glad you had fun with the new Phantom, we have shipped hundreds of these and many many to folks who have never flown RC before. It is nice to have a product that can introduce so many new folks to our hobby as well as provide a stepping stone as a tool for many more who are seeing the business benefits of a nice camera platform.

Hats off to DJI for continuing to build advanced products and making them easy for the masses.

BTW we always include a note in our boxes with the core features as well as directions to give us a call for an overview of the Phantoms advanced capabilities. This makes for much easier technical support if needed down the road.

Cliff Whitney
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:54 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Cliff is right...and I bought my Phantom through him.....This is one of the best pre-packaged RTF items that has ever hit the market. As someone said...It is SOOOOOO easy a Caveman can do it.....!

The Phantom is probably the best Bang for the Buck RTF that has hit the RC World in years and will be very hard to Top....!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:44 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mars View Post
Very nice review thanks!! I discover this website by reading your article.
I just received my Phantom today bud sadly it seems i can't charge the battery!
I read the documentation and I followed the connections instuctions, I set the balance charger on LiPo and 2A. But: the red "1s" flashes alternately with the "Charge Status" one (both in red). After 1 or 2 hours nothing happens..

It's my first experience of this kind of equipment and i am searching informations about charger and battery, without finding solutions. Perhaps it's a battery problem?

Thanks if someone could help me.. I'm frustrated at not being able to use this beautiful object!
Hi, 5mars sorry for asking a simple novice question: did you connect both, power and JST balancer to charger ? When I had my very first balance LiPo, in manuals never said this....so I waited 3 ~ hours till i got answer in a forum Not all for newbies is written in manuals.

By the way, main Phantom thread in forum starts here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774685
Jumanoc is online now Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
302 Posts
thank you for the review .. my question is. What is the difference between the Phantom and any other quad with Dji Naza ? I have a simple frame and motors and am wondering if I should just get the Naza or will gain some benefits by getting the Phantom?
gondoflier is offline Find More Posts by gondoflier
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
Cliff is right...and I bought my Phantom through him.....This is one of the best pre-packaged RTF items that has ever hit the market. As someone said...It is SOOOOOO easy a Caveman can do it.....!

The Phantom is probably the best Bang for the Buck RTF that has hit the RC World in years and will be very hard to Top....!
Thank you for the support...we are aggressively working on topping it as I type this response

...stay tuned at Facebook.com/iflydji

Thanks again!!
colinguinn is offline Find More Posts by colinguinn
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:00 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
yeah, that will be awesome.
Just to clarify for anyone out there, as we've gotten a couple of questions regarding this, Sidney was simply continuing a joke from an earlier post. Sorry for any possible confusion.
colinguinn is offline Find More Posts by colinguinn
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:14 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinguinn View Post
Just to clarify for anyone out there, as we've gotten a couple of questions regarding this, Sidney was simply continuing a joke from an earlier post. Sorry for any possible confusion.
Sensitivity

Oh, well. If anyone looks up the post, Tony was referring to Goblin new 500 heli. Then, another joke came in .....
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:31 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Haha, this is how rumors get started!
RCG Plus Member