HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:53 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
Update on my runaway Phantom.

As the story left off, I got my Phantom back, the battery was shot, one cell would not take a charge. So, I got a replacement battery, put new batteries in the TX, and the Phantom would not fly right, I quit before another runaway.

I decided that the problem was with the TX, so I replaced the Phantom RX with a Spektrum AR8000, drilled a small hole and put the aux RX antenna under the belly.

Now my Phantom flies perfect with my Spektrum 18X and I am thrilled. This was a very easy RX swap.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Got 60 plus hours on ours....not a glitch at all......!

Most of the problems come with people getting into the Assistant and screwing with the settings or trying to install their own radio, different props or a myriad of other Pilot Mods/Issues. If you follw the directions to the letter, it will fly perfectly out of the box. Everyone that post their modifications just confuses the Newbies that much more. It fly's great like it is....modding is best left to the more experienced.

If everyone could learn to fly with a MQX or other PnP mini quad, it would just make the experience that much better. Yes, it will fly itsellf, but the Pilot, at some point, has to touch the sticks...that is where the problems begin, for someone with NO experience....!

The Phantom is the best Quad out there, for the price...bar NONE.....!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,311 Posts
A reminder that there is a thread for Phantom mods:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818432

Let's keep the confusion to a minimum.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:32 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
[QUOTE=Don 2416n;24118767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald View Post
Compared to a 450 or 500 sized heli this device is a ton of technology at a reasonable price point.

I stopped by a camera shop in LA today to take a look at one. While it s cool, it reinforces my feelings of it being overpriced for what it is.
Before I get flamed for my comment I just don't see the value per dollar.
It's half the price of my house payment. There's a lot more value per dollar in my house than in a plastic framed gizmo with some electronics and some motors.
If it makes you feel any better, the cost of the Phantom spread over 30 years, with interest, is about $4 per month.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:44 AM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,416 Posts
I saw one of these being demonstrated at the local hobby shop.

It was hard not to plop down the cash for one right then and there. The mode where you don't have to worry about nose in/tail in orientation really sold me. The owner was flying it in a straight line while having it spin slowly on the yaw axis the entire time.

I want a version that lets me use my transmitter and I'm sold.
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
Got 60 plus hours on ours....not a glitch at all......!

Most of the problems come with people getting into the Assistant and screwing with the settings or trying to install their own radio, different props or a myriad of other Pilot Mods/Issues. If you follw the directions to the letter, it will fly perfectly out of the box. Everyone that post their modifications just confuses the Newbies that much more. It fly's great like it is....modding is best left to the more experienced.

If everyone could learn to fly with a MQX or other PnP mini quad, it would just make the experience that much better. Yes, it will fly itsellf, but the Pilot, at some point, has to touch the sticks...that is where the problems begin, for someone with NO experience....!

The Phantom is the best Quad out there, for the price...bar NONE.....!
If I were in Charlotte with my grand kids, I too would have put 60 hours into it.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:14 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Sid,

I am sure that your grand kids would love it where ever they are......! I am presuming that your grand kids ar here in Charlotte....? ...If so, tell them to come on over, they could fly a lot of stuff...we have a flying strip behind the shop........and approval from the FAA.......
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:42 AM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
143 Posts
[QUOTE=Balr14;24267268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 2416n View Post

If it makes you feel any better, the cost of the Phantom spread over 30 years, with interest, is about $4 per month.
LOL, You may be right. However, in my case after 1 hour with me flying it, the value will be next to nothing.
Don 2416n is offline Find More Posts by Don 2416n
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:15 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
A video from the past weekend. Shot entirely in Atti. mode. It was nice and steady until I got the Phantom in front of those huge vents hanging from the ceiling

Victory Junction - Flying Demo (3 min 50 sec)
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
that reverse pitching plane is super awesome great vid you shot

Hey, when starting up indoors Im assuming you dont get good gps lock, but I thought the instructions said that could make it crash or fly away?
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
the phantom is worth every penny I paid, I could have selected any number of alternates. im already fpv'ing with it long distance on a tx upgrade and love it, i would have paid more.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:09 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
that reverse pitching plane is super awesome great vid you shot

Hey, when starting up indoors Im assuming you dont get good gps lock, but I thought the instructions said that could make it crash or fly away?
I didn't use GPS mode because you can't get a lock indoors. I started up, and flew entirely in Atti. mode.

RJ is a great pilot, that plane not only had a variable pitch prop, it also had thrust vectoring, and it was his own design!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:28 AM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,023 Posts
Looks like it was a great event. Good cause for the kids and good flying.

The fish eye effect - is that due to the lens on the camera?

I had to turn the volume down...can't stomach that song...

NEAT!

_______
Regards,
GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:05 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
Looks like it was a great event. Good cause for the kids and good flying.

The fish eye effect - is that due to the lens on the camera?

I had to turn the volume down...can't stomach that song...

NEAT!

_______
Regards,
GMRO
The fish eye is from the GoPro camera. The song seemed a good match for the video, but I don't think there is a single song in the world that everyone likes
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:24 AM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,023 Posts
Very good. Looks like your having a good time with the Phantom.

Are you using a gimble on your GP3?

THANKS!

GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO