HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:50 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
Yippee!
Almost a Full Year... And Getting Back Into It!

Yo Everybody,

So I'm guessing that 99% of you don't remember me... my name's Dan, I'm a teenager and I started this thread here a LONG time ago of my Binary 900 DLG build. Don't have it anymore as the wing was completely destroyed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597262

I LOVED that plane. Something about DLG is really cool, I love it. Even flew it in my backyard... which eventually lead to it's destruction! LOL

HOWEVER... I've been granted a huge favor/opportunity by one of our fellow DLGers on here by the name of closedloop and he's going to be sending me quite a few DLGs that need a little bit of repair. I've been dying for a DLG for the past... like 8 months, LOL, so I can't wait to get one in my hands again. After my DLG broke, the Binary 900... I did lots more stuff, all the way up to FPV and now a jet... but honestly those don't give the same fun and satisfaction that flying DLG does.

I'm hoping to get my DLGs from closedloop quite soon, he said he has the package all ready, just needs to be shipped out. Not too many thermals out nowadays around here in the winter, so no big deal for now

I'm starting this thread so that once I start building I can get the help of all the great people (DLGers!) here with the repairing and building process.

Right now I just need to decide on a radio. Can't be Spektrum... I'm looking at the Futaba 7C or 6J. I'm sort of on a budget but heck I can sell a few of my powered planes if I ever need to make some spare cash for gliders.

Really excited!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:39 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Dan Ė Every time I have crashed my plane I thought it was destroyed, but more experienced folks kept telling me it could be fixed, and they were right. Chances are that your Binary is repairable. If itís not too late, I would encourage you to see what you can do to repair the Binary as it will teach you a lot of good skills both in repairing and flying. It is always nice to have a back up plane and one you can beat up during the learning process.

Glad to hear you havenít lost you love for DLG. I hope to hear you are making good progress whatever you do, and good luck with your new (used) DLGs.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:14 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
Dan Ė Every time I have crashed my plane I thought it was destroyed, but more experienced folks kept telling me it could be fixed, and they were right. Chances are that your Binary is repairable. If itís not too late, I would encourage you to see what you can do to repair the Binary as it will teach you a lot of good skills both in repairing and flying. It is always nice to have a back up plane and one you can beat up during the learning process.

Glad to hear you havenít lost you love for DLG. I hope to hear you are making good progress whatever you do, and good luck with your new (used) DLGs.
It's already too late I didn't have the right electronics for it at the time, so it was built heavy and that also contributed to its downfall.

Thanks!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:23 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
If you are really interested in DLGs, you should attend the CRRC contest in Sudbury, MA (July 6-7) and the LISF contest in Syosset, NY(Aug 3-4). These are the ones that are nearly in your backyard plus there are tons all over.

Find out more about these at www.flyesl.org or just ask on RCG. There are other contests up and down the coast as well as all over the country. Best bunch of guys I have met at these contests and all have been really helpful too. It is the best way to improve ones flying skills and sometimes guys will bring planes for sale.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:26 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,431 Posts
Dan,

I have an older SD-10G that needs to be sent in to have a switch repaired on. Other than that, it's in great shape. You won't find a better radio for flying DLGs. I'll make you a heck of a deal on it. If you are interested, PM me.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:18 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
PM sent. However I'd rather not take too much advantage of everybody's generosity here. I've never heard of Airtronics much so I'm not sure. I'll see.

Thanks!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:53 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
If you are really interested in DLGs, you should attend the CRRC contest in Sudbury, MA (July 6-7) and the LISF contest in Syosset, NY(Aug 3-4). These are the ones that are nearly in your backyard plus there are tons all over.

Find out more about these at www.flyesl.org or just ask on RCG. There are other contests up and down the coast as well as all over the country. Best bunch of guys I have met at these contests and all have been really helpful too. It is the best way to improve ones flying skills and sometimes guys will bring planes for sale.
There are tons all over? I've never heard of anything like this until now! But yeah if I have a good DLG setup by July I can definitely attend, and compete maybe too! Thanks!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:10 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,701 Posts
The SD 10 is one of the top 5 radios on the market. Very good reputation.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:20 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
Yes but I had to pass on that one. I normally buy my transmitters new and I like to have a warranty on them. No offense taken by Mr. Wiz at all, I just need a good TX that has receivers at a little bit less too, as I like to fly cheap foamies as well

....well now I'm reconsidering. I may end up with it after all

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:45 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Welcome back Dan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO
I did lots more stuff, all the way up to FPV and now a jet... but honestly those don't give the same fun and satisfaction that flying DLG does.
You said it!

Have fun!
Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
What's the reason for not going Spektrum? I was going to suggest the Orange Transmitter from Hobby King paired with the Orange receivers if you are price concious. I'm trying to move away from DSM2 stuff now that I have my hands on Multiplex M-Link gear.

Still love my BNF planes and Helis though.
ecenshu is online now Find More Posts by ecenshu
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:22 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCube View Post
Welcome back Dan.

You said it!

Have fun!
Joseph
No worries, I will!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:24 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenshu View Post
What's the reason for not going Spektrum? I was going to suggest the Orange Transmitter from Hobby King paired with the Orange receivers if you are price concious. I'm trying to move away from DSM2 stuff now that I have my hands on Multiplex M-Link gear.

Still love my BNF planes and Helis though.
I've been having lockouts and glitches with Spektrum where I fly lately. I don't trust it anymore. And I don't buy HK or Turnigy transmitters. $60 TX for a $800 plane doesn't make much sense IMO

I'm looking at the 7C or 8J at the moment.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:51 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
I've been having lockouts and glitches with Spektrum where I fly lately. I don't trust it anymore.

Dan
Dan - I had precisely the same experience. Some people never have a problem with them, but I am not the only one in my area the have left Spektrum for that reason. They are fine for your foamies, but I want something really reliable for my DLGs.

I have been using the 4 channel ASSAN Rx and two of us in our area have experienced no problems.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

But it required that I switch out the JR transmitter pack on the back with the ASSAN

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html

It may be more money than you want to lay out right now but maybe later on you might consider it.

It has been ranged tested out to over a mile with no drop-outs. Also with 4 channels it requires a "Y" connector to get power to the Rx. It is small and reliable. I see you don't like Hobby King but this one works for me. Just for your information
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Last edited by Hanger Rash; Jan 18, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:43 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
Why not look for a nice used Jr XP9303 and stick a FrSky module in the back. Soon, they are suppose to release a 9 and 12 channel transmitter so you can always sell off the 9303.

Personally, I love my 9303 and am happy that the FrSky stuff is very reasonably prices ($10-$30 for receivers) and has telemetry options. That is what I did. It has several of the attributes that Futaba has but at a fraction of the cost. Just in case you do not know, all manufacturers now require proprietary receivers, for the most part. There are some like Orange and FrSky that make Spektrum and Futabe clones.

I think if you are looking for the most bang for the buck, it is hard to discount them.

Have you looked into joining a local club? I use to know several good guys from Conn. that use to come down to the LISF contest. Might want to scope them out. Then again, you are always welcome to join LISF. I know several guys who belong to several clubs due to their travels. Always nice to have a 'local' field to fly on.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High