HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Help!
Spektrum dx7s Question

I was curious so know if i can run my dx7s with my simulator, battery unplugged but the charger plugged in? I'm just curious to see if this can cause damage to the Tx long-term, as having to recharge the batter for use with the simulator seems abit like a waste of time.

Thank you!
mccubed27388 is offline Find More Posts by mccubed27388
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:35 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,309 Posts
Charging stops when radio on.

If you use your flight tx for sim charging batt is something you have to deal with.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:38 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,729 Posts
Don't do it!
Never try to run ANY battery operated device directly off the charger without the battery. The device should be designed to ensure it won't work, but if it does connect it is highly likely to damage the equipment. The charger is unregulated and may provide much higher voltage than the battery. If you are lucky it just won't work.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Don't do it!
Never try to run ANY battery operated device directly off the charger without the battery. The device should be designed to ensure it won't work, but if it does connect it is highly likely to damage the equipment. The charger is unregulated and may provide much higher voltage than the battery.
Thank you, you probably saved my new time murderer. (And i've killed ALOT of time with this so far. Like, 3 hours of just messing around.)
mccubed27388 is offline Find More Posts by mccubed27388
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:22 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccubed27388 View Post
Thank you, you probably saved my new time murderer. (And i've killed ALOT of time with this so far. Like, 3 hours of just messing around.)
Keep in mind that running in trainer/simulator mode takes much less power than when transmitting, so should allow the transmitter to run for two or here times as long. You shouldn't have to charge often.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:28 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,155 Posts
With my JR XP9303 and previous JR transmitters, I was advised to connect a 1/8" audio jack (from Radio Shack) to the Trainer Port. This would power up the display but prevent the Tx from transmitting (I was on 72Mhz at the time). This also worked well when I was spending a great deal of time learning the programming. The Tx used much less power when either the audio jack or the Trainer Cord was connected to the Trainer Port (50ma vs 200ma).

I have not tried this with my DX8, but I believe it will work the same.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:21 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
592 Posts
That's exactly how it works with Pheonix and the Dx6i.
FrankS is online now Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:45 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
With my JR XP9303 and previous JR transmitters, I was advised to connect a 1/8" audio jack (from Radio Shack) to the Trainer Port. This would power up the display but prevent the Tx from transmitting (I was on 72Mhz at the time). This also worked well when I was spending a great deal of time learning the programming. The Tx used much less power when either the audio jack or the Trainer Cord was connected to the Trainer Port (50ma vs 200ma).

I have not tried this with my DX8, but I believe it will work the same.
That's how it works on virtually all transmitters that use the JR-type trainer system, including Spektrum. When used as a buddy box, the transmitter switch is OFF and plugging in the cable turns on only the encoder. Note that some transmitters work with either stereo or mono cable, but others require mono. That's why proper JR/Spektrum trainer cables are mono.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:04 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
That's how it works on virtually all transmitters that use the JR-type trainer system, including Spektrum. When used as a buddy box, the transmitter switch is OFF and plugging in the cable turns on only the encoder. Note that some transmitters work with either stereo or mono cable, but others require mono. That's why proper JR/Spektrum trainer cables are mono.
With the Aerofly Pro sim, the 8103 used a Mono jack and the 9303 used a Stereo jack.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber