HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rcalldaylong, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:03 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Discussion
New Air Hogs Plane (Sky stunt flyer)

I've flown many other AH planes and this one took me by surprise. unlike the usual AH plane, this one has a single prop, with a working rudder. It also has tons of power, and can do stunts right out of the box. If you are into AH planes, you don't want to miss this one.

Air hogs hurricane stunt flyer plane (4 min 2 sec)
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:22 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
I saw this plane in a Target store and wondered if it might have rudder and elevator control. Apparently not.

Is the rudder controlled by a magnetic actuator? Can't tell in the video.

Thanks,
Paul
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:36 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo810 View Post
I saw this plane in a Target store and wondered if it might have rudder and elevator control. Apparently not.

Is the rudder controlled by a magnetic actuator? Can't tell in the video.

Thanks,
Paul
No elevator, but there is rudder.
Rudder is controlled by magnetic actuator.

rudder control is ok; nothing like having ailerons, but it is controllable.

It takes a little to get used to since there's no elevator and the plane is made to pitch up when more throttle is applied....so if you want to fly straight, you have to sorta pulse the throttle. If you notice, in the vid, I do a lot of throttle pulsing.

But by far, this plane is better than the usual AH plane I'm used to flying (with the exemption of the Aero Ace)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:23 PM
I need smaller servos
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Nov 2007
6 Posts
Sky Stunt

I saw these too. The TX looked like it was a 2 channel with an extra button on top. I thought maybe the "Easy Stunt Trigger" kicked in up elevator, but it sounds like it is just a "full throttle" button.
sumthinsburnin is offline Find More Posts by sumthinsburnin
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumthinsburnin View Post
I saw these too. The TX looked like it was a 2 channel with an extra button on top. I thought maybe the "Easy Stunt Trigger" kicked in up elevator, but it sounds like it is just a "full throttle" button.
Yea. it's just a full throttle button.

If AH puts in elevator, and didn't make it auto climb by default that would be the ultimate micro plane. I'd be more than happy to pay an extra $10-$15 for it.

unlike the parkzone UM planes the thing is literally indestructible, so good for newbies.

Anyways, even without elevator, I still think this plane is well worth the $40. heck I paid $70 as a newbie for a plane that didn't fly at all....
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:38 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
The more I look at it the more it looks like an upgraded "Silverlit Single Wing Plane". That was a great plane to strip the gear out of and scratchbuild with. There are a couple of threads on it here.
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:33 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Just so all the Micro RTF Boy's and Girl's know... this plane has 300' range, it is on the side of the box and I took a pic of it....
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:09 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
Just so all the Micro RTF Boy's and Girl's know... this plane has 300' range, it is on the side of the box and I took a pic of it....
Yep! I can vouch for that- This plane has better range than most other AH planes I've flown (with the exception of Aero Ace).

I was able to fly till I could barely make out the plane and I still had full control.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
?????

Does anybody know where i can buy replacement prop blades for the Sky Stunt??
RCPlaneGuy2 is offline Find More Posts by RCPlaneGuy2
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
Boy Trapped In Old Man's Body
Joined Mar 2013
13 Posts
Hi,

In my Sky Stunt, there were two extra propellers that came with the plane. I almost missed them - was going to throw out the box and saw them taped in there. If you still have the packaging, take a look and see if there are taped in the box. A long shot, but worth a try?

In case anyone wants to know more about the Sky Stunt, we did this quick video review -

Air Hogs Sky Stunt Plane Review. Hands-On Review - Does the Sky Stunt Really Fly? (6 min 57 sec)

Thanks,
Dan
DadDoes is offline Find More Posts by DadDoes
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:19 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadDoes View Post
Hi,

In my Sky Stunt, there were two extra propellers that came with the plane. I almost missed them - was going to throw out the box and saw them taped in there. If you still have the packaging, take a look and see if there are taped in the box. A long shot, but worth a try?

In case anyone wants to know more about the Sky Stunt, we did this quick video review -

Thanks,
Dan
nice vid. in all honestly this one flies pretty good and manages to stay in the air till the battery runs low.

The only other AH plane that I'd say outshines this one is the aero ace- wish they did a remake of that one.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Mar 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
nice vid. in all honestly this one flies pretty good and manages to stay in the air till the battery runs low.

The only other AH plane that I'd say outshines this one is the aero ace- wish they did a remake of that one.
Thanks. Yeah, the thing that would be awesome with all this consumer level RC planes would be a battery indicator. Would be great if you had an accurate measure of battery power left displayed on the remote - that way you don't end up with a plane 100 feet in the air and then the battery dies

I know, I know, endless reasons why this is very hard to do and would lack accuracy. We have played with the iPhone and iPad controlled planes, which do show the battery power left, but it goes from like 80% to 20% in 10 seconds,,,just not accurate enough to be useful.

I admit, I am a completely consumer level, just fly the toys with the kids on the weekend level guy - on the hobby level planes, do they have accurate battery power indicators?

Thanks,
Dan
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:55 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, the thing that would be awesome with all this consumer level RC planes would be a battery indicator. Would be great if you had an accurate measure of battery power left displayed on the remote - that way you don't end up with a plane 100 feet in the air and then the battery dies

I know, I know, endless reasons why this is very hard to do and would lack accuracy. We have played with the iPhone and iPad controlled planes, which do show the battery power left, but it goes from like 80% to 20% in 10 seconds,,,just not accurate enough to be useful.

I admit, I am a completely consumer level, just fly the toys with the kids on the weekend level guy - on the hobby level planes, do they have accurate battery power indicators?

Thanks,
Dan

While there is telemetry modules available (telemetry tells you info such as voltage, height, etc), most of us fly without indicators. We fly with a timer and time our flights accordingly as to make sure we leave at least 20% of juice left in the Lipo. Taking more than that will likely damage the Lipo permanently.

some reasons folks don't fly with telemetry is,

weight
cost
extra setup
again cost

telemetry is useful for FPV folks and probably 100% of them use it.

for the same reasons, telemetry in a small air hogs plane is probably cost prohibitive as well as making the airframe too heavy.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:24 AM
Joined Mar 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
While there is telemetry modules available (telemetry tells you info such as voltage, height, etc), most of us fly without indicators. We fly with a timer and time our flights accordingly as to make sure we leave at least 20% of juice left in the Lipo. Taking more than that will likely damage the Lipo permanently.

some reasons folks don't fly with telemetry is,

weight
cost
extra setup
again cost

telemetry is useful for FPV folks and probably 100% of them use it.

for the same reasons, telemetry in a small air hogs plane is probably cost prohibitive as well as making the airframe too heavy.
Hey,

Awesome answer - makes total sense. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Hey,

Awesome answer - makes total sense. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in!
you're welcome.

on a side note, I fly mostly rc grade planes; but, I still have a soft spot for air hog planes. This is simply because as a newbie, I could never get anything else to fly well other than AH. I flew a bunch of other RTF rc grade planes and they stunk bad. AH Aero Ace sorta blew me away when I first flew it. Too bad my AA got stuck on my neighbors roof and it never did come down. The last I checked it's no longer there...