SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Discussion
New Blackjack 29 lipo connection question

Guys I'm a noob to the hobby. After a month of reading and learning. I order a BJ29. I ordered some Gen Ace Lipos and they come with banana plug charge lead.

I figured since the boat has EC3 plug, I can get one of these EC3 to banana plug charge lead and able to use it. But this doesn't seems to work. Turn switch on and nothing come on.

I look at the adapter cable it seems like the polarity seems to be reverse from the banana plug to the ec3 adapter. Can you guys give me some pointer please?

Battery:

Banana charge + adapter

Together

Boat innard
johnyeros is offline Find More Posts by johnyeros
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:05 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined Jan 2013
96 Posts
Looks like your EC3 -> Banana adapter is designed to connect an EC3 battery to a banana speed control/charger. Not the other way around, hence the polarity mix up.
viperidae is offline Find More Posts by viperidae
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
do you know what i need to get in order to plug my battery into the esc? IF no cable exist do i just have to get a banana set of cable and then cut one end of and solder on the EC3 female connection?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
I figured it out. I was using the banana cable that come with the charger..

Now I use the banana cable that come with my battery + this ec3 adapter and it work fine.

However since the battery were already tall, with the plug sticking straight up, it wont fit inside of a boat. Probably have to run the the hobby shop tomorrow to find some angle plug.

On top of that. somebody in the other forum mention it's not good to run through adapter, hard on esc/battery.

So my best bet is to just get a angle banana plug and solder on a female EC3.. Correct me if i'm wrong on this.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Do you plan to use the packs in a car/truck as well, or just in the boat? If not, you'll find that the softcase packs fit MUCH better:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-2s1p-40c-2222.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10305

I have a bunch of the turnigy packs, they work great. You should be able to sell those packs (assuming they aren't damaged from plugging them into the ESC backwards) to someone with a car/truck for a good price. I know I would be willing to buy them depending on price.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Do you plan to use the packs in a car/truck as well, or just in the boat? If not, you'll find that the softcase packs fit MUCH better:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-2s1p-40c-2222.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10305

I have a bunch of the turnigy packs, they work great. You should be able to sell those packs (assuming they aren't damaged from plugging them into the ESC backwards) to someone with a car/truck for a good price. I know I would be willing to buy them depending on price.
nope.. the fk up part is that I thought hardcase are better b/c they can take more dmg. and boat there's a lot of bumping.. turn out i'm DEAD WRONG . But since i sink money into it. I might as well convert the plug and use it instead of returning..

The hardcare fit fine it's just the plug instead of direction connection.... oh well but if i buy again i'll pick the soft case
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:27 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I'd be willing to buy a couple packs depending on price if you wanted to get soft case packs instead..
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
I pay 38 buck for each of them with shipping. I would like to get as much as I can back. I just submit for a return. Not sure what they will charge beside me. I have to see. These look so nice
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Do you know if i can buy these turnigy with the 5.5mm and cut them off and put them on EC3 and it would fit? These wire look big, compare to the connector ec3 on my boat. I really like how EC3 is and I don't want to cut wire into my boat for warranty reason. I haven't even run it yet and I dont' want to cut it up and have issue and can't return it.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:56 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyeros View Post
Do you know if i can buy these turnigy with the 5.5mm and cut them off and put them on EC3 and it would fit? These wire look big, compare to the connector ec3 on my boat. I really like how EC3 is and I don't want to cut wire into my boat for warranty reason. I haven't even run it yet and I dont' want to cut it up and have issue and can't return it.
You may find the wire size on the Turnigy packs a little large for soldering to an EC3 connector. Other than your warranty concerns, you would be much better off changing the ends on the esc to 5.5 mm bullets to match the packs.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Oct 2011
67 Posts
the hard packs were nothing but trouble for us , we changed to the soft pack also , not a lot of room for the stand up connectors
Capt. Geo is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Geo
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:24 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
Much smarter to convert everything to 5.5mm conectors . Your motor and ESC will thank you .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill