HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
just an added point!
most of the oldtimers at my field, that still fly wet fuel planes, all use 72mhz

and of course all the newbs that fly electric, mostly use spectrum!

I have seen, and heard of poeple loosing more planes from spectrum blackouts than all other systems combined! could be due too the fact there are so many out there!
Thats why I ran away from spektrum after my first taste on a 450 heli; brown out or other glitch and it takes forever to reconnect. Once you lose signal you might as well go inside and start ordering a new model while your other one plummits to earth.

I am now hitec, and the reconnect time is virtually instant and you may not ever know you lost signal.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Yeah, also just did my federal return and I'm getting alot back this year so I suppose I should just up and go for the gas engine. Still not sure on the radio, the more people get them the more issues are getting reported, kind of glad I held off ordering the 9XR. Might just grab a 9X and mod it because that's been out for awhile and the support is there for it already. Or roll with my 72mhz stuff and the gasser for now... we'll see.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Ordered a FlySky 9x version 2 from HobbyPartz, after MORE research I found that the one with the antenna on top is actually the one I want as that means I can have a dual transmitter setup for the el cheapo Flysky receivers and the telemetry FrySky receivers. Plus I like the aesthetics of the FlySky. Seeing a LOT of negativity on the new Turnigy 9XR and I can modify the 9X to be literally just as good without any of the issues. Plus there is something to be said for a product that is already developed. And I can have it this week. Ordered the Smartiepants programmer for it too so I can upgrade the firmware.

Also placed $125 order on Hobby King including UPS 3 day Express for 5 LiFe batteries, a few BECs, LiFe charger, 9X LED backlight, an electric pump that is ok for gas and some other stuff I forgot already.

AND, bought the Evolution 10GX from Horizon. I literally cannot stomach paying $30 a gallon. I'll sell my glow engines and it'll be cost neutral. 2 gallons of glow I have will go towards making sure the glow motors I'm selling are as advertised for whoever gets them.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:11 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,018 Posts
Before My old JR died I had purchased a Spectrum module and RX to convert it to 2.4. It was the "old" DSM2? standard. I never had a "brownout" or other issue with the system. I even used one of the HK Orange RX's with it. Never had a problem with it as a 72 mhz system either.

IMO it is the same with 2.4 as with the 72 mhz systems. Most crashes are blamed on the radio and not where the blame really lies, with the pilot. After all, we pilots NEVER make a mistake.... Do we?

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Before My old JR died I had purchased a Spectrum module and RX to convert it to 2.4. It was the "old" DSM2? standard. I never had a "brownout" or other issue with the system. I even used one of the HK Orange RX's with it. Never had a problem with it as a 72 mhz system either.

IMO it is the same with 2.4 as with the 72 mhz systems. Most crashes are blamed on the radio and not where the blame really lies, with the pilot. After all, we pilots NEVER make a mistake.... Do we?

Ken
Nope, always the equipment's fault lol. Everything Ive ordered has shipped minus the hobbyking stuff and that should be leaving tomorrow. Got an email today saying it is packed and ready for ship.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
There is no denying a crash that happens due to brown out and a few second reconnect time. Its pretty obvious. And since moving away from spek I haven't had that problem.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
I think DSM2 had the laggy brownout reconnection issues. DSMX does not. The reconnection times are well sub-second. I run DSMX on all my planes and they've run flawlessly. Pilot error is the only danger.
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
IIRC there is a capactor one can just plug into a free port in the receiver to prevent brownouts, I'll have to look it up more.

As for me, seems I keep getting pushed further out from my first flight back. I will have EVERYTHING tomorrow or Friday but still waiting on my membership card and key to my new club and the wife already has this weekend planned. Weather permitting, next Saturday...
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:16 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Welcome back. Really there is no reason to spend alot of cash until you are more experienced at flying. Mainly because once you solo you'll be wants will be different.
I still use 72 mhz, but I'm using a futaba 9C.
I've considered the 9X but I'm very experienced with computer radios.
The 9X can be alittle challanging
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Well I just got my 9x in the mail on Thursday but I have been out of town again until tomorrow and then flying again next weekend. At this rate I won't start flying again until Spring haha. I suppose I can't complain, I'm in Italy right now lol.

As for the 9x itself, the new firmwares seem pretty legit, I got an entire solderless setup going with the smartieboard and telemetrEZ board along with the FrSky DJT so it should be all plug and play there, load the firmware and roll.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:17 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well after cycling it a few times it isn't holding as great as I'd hoped. This is a Skysport 6A radio bought in 1995, the battery is pushing 20 years old so I ordered a new one. Ordered new RX /TX batteries, an Avistar Elite, new glow igniter, new 12v battery some other misc stuff...
That Skysport 6A is a great radio - there's no reason at all to think about getting rid of it. I have one and have flow the snot out of it, and it's one of the most comfortable transmitters I've flown. Its never missed a beat - basically as bullet proof of a radio as you can get. If you want a new receiver for it, get the Berg 4 or 7 channel receiver (available through Tower Hobbies or direct from Castle Creations) - they are all full range and operate on 3vdc to 8.4vdc. I fly both receivers with my 6A, Futaba 7C and JR 6102 radios, and they operate like a PCM setup.

Canuck Engineering makes Eneloop transmitter battery packs, you can use a receiver battery withing the range of the receiver your using (2-cell LiFe or LiPo will work with a Berg).

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Hah, yeah it is a very nice radio, I'm just worried about some idiot turning on the same freq as me, it happened once to me and luckily I was in the pits still but that really does freak me out when I'm going to be spending $thousands on airplanes. I got the Turnigy 9x in and I'm going to install the USB board, backlight and telemetry board into it tonight. Then... well I'm off for 3 days next weekend, I hope to have this thing up in the air FINALLY then.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:55 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
Personally, don't sweat the batteries that are working. Cycle them a couple of times and if they work, they work. I had a radio sitting for over 10 years and the battery holds a great charge and works great (Futaba Conquest), and also just picked up another as a package that holds as good a charge as mine and has also not been used in quite some time. Receiver batteries hold a great charge too! The newer Skysport that came with the package was done!

Just my $.02
I recently discovered that batteries in a Futaba system that has set idle for more than thirty years and are thirty five years old are still in good shape. The RX shows 475 mah for a 500 mah pack. The TX is 440 mah for a 500 mah pack and they are holding a charge typical to good batteries.

In a discussion with an old hat at the field about this, he offered that NiCads were made better years ago.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AA5BY; Mar 09, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Mine didn't hold charge. Mute anyway as I ready converted everything over to LiFe batteries and couldn't be happier.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:01 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Mine didn't hold charge. Mute anyway as I ready converted everything over to LiFe batteries and couldn't be happier.
My fleet also got LiFe battery conversions as part of this winter's upgrade regime and I've also been very happy so far.

My old Futaba system is mute here as well even if the batteries still work. It is wide band and no longer legal for aircraft use, and is in the aircraft frequency zone.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red