SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:33 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Discussion
Anyone familiar with this boat?

So Im knew to boats just got my first boat saturday and today I got a more complete electric boat from the same guy.It says graupner all over the the hardware.I googled it and Its all in german I dont know if this thing is worth repairing or goid for parts for the aeromarine sprint cat 42.Ill put up the pics and a few shots of the hull damage.I was thinking of drilling a few holes and spraying in some self expanding insulating foam.?

http://
sgmxr6 is offline Find More Posts by sgmxr6
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:35 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:35 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:37 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:13 PM
Palma Sola,Fla.
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
IIRC Graupner called that the "Systems" cat, but the drive hardware looks newer than I remember.
osprey21 is offline Find More Posts by osprey21
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:14 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Thanks for the info Im a plane/car guy I no very little about boats.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:31 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,906 Posts
Hi sgmxr6,

Osprey is correct your boat is a rather mistreated Graupner Systems, an outdated design, not meant to run at the speeds modern designs do nowadays.

The ABS hull needs to be reinforced with glasscloth and epoxy, the running surfaces need work and the trailing edges sharpenened.
With the 700 motor in the picture it'll run 20-25 mph when set-up properly.

Self expanding foam is a very bad idea, it'll ruin your hull.
If you're contemplating using foam, save yourself the money and bin the Systems immediately...

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:30 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
I thought of glassing the hull but its heavily glued.Short of cutting it apart Im not sure just how to get inside to make the repairs without destroying whats left.I think this project may be too far gone.Im not even sure what type of speed control to use with an outdated setup like this.Oerhaps its best to use for parts.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
boat name

I would do a search for the systems boat. Look in the UK boat sites for a good systems body and start over new. Don't waste money on a dead horse by the quote ' abused boat ', isn't worth it from pictures. Original setup was a 700-8.4 on 12 nimH cells and it had to be modded on the bottom as i remember. Just my 2 cents!
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:36 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Well I did find a few but there on back order.There really proud of them too.I think Im going to remove the hardware and build my own.Im not looking for a speed machine just something to play with.Ive been looking at riggers and air boat combos Thinking of using my strudder and a couple .049 with a pusher puller combonation in a ducted fan chamber.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
It can be fixed if you are good with styrene, but it would be a long road and you will be building a hatch I assume. If you decide to get into it a putty knife and an x-acto chisel blade will get you far in separating the deck and hull. If you’re changing the motor go Lipo and brushless it will go and meet your goals but won’t ever be competitive or likely valuable. I saw the real Systems cat, she was all aluminum and awesome still has a place in my mind. I believe the full sized version started out as a Popeye’s boat, then went to ACR Systems and finally was seized for running drugs and sold to someone who painted it up in a cow motif… quite sad to me.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Lol thats one heck of a story :-) Thanks for the advice I hadnt thought of doing that.Thanks !
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Popeyes Offshore Racing Sponsorship Promotion (4 min 25 sec)

Around 50 you can see the hull you have.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:36 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Id like to convert this thing to nitro anyone have any idea what nitro motor this thing will handle?
Im happy in the 30mph range for top speed, I dont want to invest in a bunch of electric stuff Id rather heat a plug and go!