SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:08 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
Discussion
Great News , from Ben Buckle kit

This is a great flyer on 2 cells, Turnigy 3845/5 , 900 kv. 1375 gms. without batt. Use a 3600mill., Landing gear changed to a much stiffer 5/8" rod after first flight revealed too much flex.
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
Last edited by banjo328; Jan 16, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:55 AM
In the Dunes
Chesterton, IN
Joined Dec 2003
172 Posts
I hope that was a misprint or a typo. 5/8" rod for a plane of this size seems like massive overkill to me. Not to mention the weight of it!

papermache
papermache is offline Find More Posts by papermache
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:13 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,316 Posts
Gorgeous plane, nice work.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:09 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
5,8 works great. lighter than original.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:01 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermache View Post
I hope that was a misprint or a typo. 5/8" rod for a plane of this size seems like massive overkill to me. Not to mention the weight of it!

papermache
Looks more like 5/32". Nice model. I hope that's paint on the driveway! those electric props are sharp!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Last edited by kkphantom; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: ................
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:30 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
Sorry about that.....yes, it is 5/32". That is paint on the driveway. I flew it once with the APC 12 X 7 prop but today flew it with a 12 X 7 XOAR wood prop which gave 4 oz. more thrust on the bench test. Very adequate on 2S but tried it with 3S and and the take off is quicker and climb steeper but otherwise not as "old timer like", so will stick with 2S
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:35 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
158 Posts
We had an old timer meet of sorts two weeks ago. Two Dallaire Sportsters showed up. Mine is the yellow one, built in 1988, converted to electric 2 years ago.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Beautiful! Hey, don't want to open a can of worms but there was some discussion several years ago about the quality of plans/kits/wood that comes with Ben Buckle's products that I just came across after ordering a B.B. Sr. Playboy kit a couple days ago ($175 USD!). Was just wondering if anyone had any comments regarding the quality of their products in the past few years? I wanted the plans to enlarge to ~120" but I'm now thinking I should have just gone with the Bob Holman plans (or maybe kit: http://www.bhplans.com/GMPg2.html) :-/

I'll post a follow-up after I receive/review the package and try to move forward on the project irregardless. My best to you all--its a wonderful hobby!
PacificAirwave14 is offline Find More Posts by PacificAirwave14
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:07 AM
KNS
Switzerland, SO, Olten
Joined Dec 2012
351 Posts
Just resumed work on a Ben Buckle Southerner 60. Plans are fine, but the printed woodkit (you do all the cutting yourself, which is what I like and why I got the box) has a few issues and some of the parts are not properly printed/too short. Wood selection is fine, though. On the whole I like the convenience of having most of the building materials in a box together with the plans, but now I have progressed and I will likely build from plans alone in the future (or design stuff myself). This way I have better control over the materials used and I can only blame myself for parts not fitting . So, on the whole I have no bad feelings, yet, I have come across much worse kits.
KNS is online now Find More Posts by KNS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest concluded projects
Old Nov 09, 2013, 03:31 PM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
405 Posts
Pacific airwave, welcome to the forum, one I enjoy immensely.
I hope you get from it what you want - please don't ever forget that all of the posters on this forum are amateurs.
Braddock, VC is offline Find More Posts by Braddock, VC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Reverse Takeover
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:03 AM
KNS
Switzerland, SO, Olten
Joined Dec 2012
351 Posts
Sorry Braddock - but what do you mean by this "please don't ever forget that all of the posters on this forum are amateurs"? Some of the posters are professionals in this trade, or have been just that and are now retired. But these make a great effort to be transparent about their affiliations. I have found that the advice you get here is genuine and well meant. And most of all it is usually spot-on.
KNS is online now Find More Posts by KNS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest concluded projects