HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,333 Posts
Discussion
SimonK esc and pancake motors problem?

I am looking for some ESC's that are preloaded with the SimonK firmware. Hobbylobby sells a line called rapidrive that are preloaded with the SK firmware. I went to Hobbylobby and they have a warning on their site "*Note - Current inventory is non-bootloader firmware and not compatible with pancake style motors. Next shipment will include updated firmware."

I am confused since they state it is using SimonK firmware and they even have a button to send him money.

Is the SK firmware pancake motor compatible? If so, does anyone know what HL is talking about?

Any better sources for preloaded SK firmware ESC's?
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Yes, it's true that there have been some issues. Have a look at this thread for some more detail: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/11...-esc-rapidesc/
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
The latest fw is compatible w/ pancakes. HL esc are probably loaded with an earlier version.
Blue Collar is online now Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,333 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know where I can buy esc's that are flashed with the latest firmware? I don't really want to flash the esc myself.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
Jersey, St. Helier
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know where I can buy esc's that are flashed with the latest firmware? I don't really want to flash the esc myself.
I bought six rctimer 40amp opto simonk flashed esc's for my hexa. I unfortunately have an intermittent problem with a motor or motors cutting when on 4S (motors are Multistar 690kv "pancake's". I replaced the esc's with some cheap basic ones and it flew perfectly. I'm trying to re-flash them at the moment but without success, so whilst they look terriffic on paper, and perhaps I just have a dud, I would suggest you steer clear for the moment.

I've pm'd simon to see if he has a newer .hex file for these esc's but I've not had a response yet, although I imagine the poor guy gets bombarded with pm's every day.
baldric_ba is offline Find More Posts by baldric_ba
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:40 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Hello! I'm not sure where to suggest buying them pre-flashed, but you can check that you have at least the 2012-09-30 release (which should work with all motors) by running a jumper wire between the white and red wires on the servo/radio connector. Wait two seconds, then remove the wire from the red and connect it to black. You are basically bringing up the white signal input wire to 5V, then connecting it to ground (don't connect red to black ). After this, you should hear the ESC reset. If you do not, then you have an older version that will have problems.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old May 06, 2013, 12:41 AM
Explorocam
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hello! I'm not sure where to suggest buying them pre-flashed, but you can check that you have at least the 2012-09-30 release (which should work with all motors) by running a jumper wire between the white and red wires on the servo/radio connector. Wait two seconds, then remove the wire from the red and connect it to black. You are basically bringing up the white signal input wire to 5V, then connecting it to ground (don't connect red to black ). After this, you should hear the ESC reset. If you do not, then you have an older version that will have problems.
Hi SimonK,

Never spoke to you before, so Hi!
I noticed a thread started about the T-Motor ESCs. Do you know if they are using your code? Are you able to confirm this or is this still an unknown issue?
Exploroman is offline Find More Posts by Exploroman
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
87 Posts
I purchasesed 4 tmotor (30a opto 6s) escs and they do not work with the tmotor mn3508-29 motors. in addition, I tested the hobbyking blue series 40a flashed with latest Simonk bs40a.hex and I tried the 2012 Simonk bs40a.hex.. The throttle response is great until 65% throttle. All throttle point beyond 65% causes the motor to Cog or shut off. Furthermore, I I I I throttle collaborated each ESC on my Dragon link RX. Any ideas? I tried flashing the WII ESC but that didn't work. Help!!!!!

Wookong M
2200 gram AUW
14.55 props RCTimer
WaveV is offline Find More Posts by WaveV
Last edited by WaveV; Sep 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
53 Posts
Does the fix outlined on this thread work?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049650

"set your radio TX to -110% at the low range. Then calibrate all of your ESC's throttle range. After you are done, change your radio TX back to -100% at the low range."
bisenberger is offline Find More Posts by bisenberger
Old Apr 27, 2014, 04:41 AM
France
Joined May 2009
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisenberger View Post
Does the fix outlined on this thread work?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049650

"set your radio TX to -110% at the low range. Then calibrate all of your ESC's throttle range. After you are done, change your radio TX back to -100% at the low range."
Hello,

Any answer or comment about this ?

Thx
tshado is online now Find More Posts by tshado