HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Discussion
Night Vapor or Mini Vapor.

Hey there. I am new to the forum, but not new to the hobby. I have been flying since the late 80's and have a number of planes both gas and electric. I have a little xmas money left over and am looking for some help with a decision. I have a 40'x80' shop that I plan on getting a little micro plane to fly inside. It's not a completely open space as I have some cars and such inside, but it's definitely not the living room. I have the Parkzone Sukhoi, but that plane is way too fast to fly inside my shop.

The question becomes which would you choose the Night Vapor or the Mini Vapor? I am not really looking to do a lot of aerobatics, but maybe some fun things like trying to land on the car lift, various things like that. Or are the two close enough in flight characteristics to where it really wouldn't matter?
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:20 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
I find the night vapor is more fun to fly. The mini seems faster but the night vapor will be a joy in the space you have. I fly mine in a 30x30 space here at my small engine shop. And its crowded with stuff also. I wouldnt hesitate to get a night vapor again. I love it. The mini is my living room plane. But its just not as fun to me.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:04 PM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
712 Posts
I agree. I have a night vapor and have had the chance to fly a mini vapor. The night vapor can fly slower, and in my opinion is a better plane. The mini vapor is quite zippy, and is difficult to fly without expo.
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:42 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,237 Posts
The Vapor will fly slower but is a lot bigger. Of course at high alpha they both will just crawl.

I actually like the mini better for indoors. I find i can fly more than just circles with it in a confined space. Also, since the wing loading is higher it flies better outside if their is any wind.

If what you want is the slowest flight possible the vapor is it though.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. Since my shop can be closed up I will basically call this indoors. I wouldn't mind running it in the house and think my living room/dining room combo will be big enough. I think I will pick up the night vapor based on the recommendations. If there is wind I have other models to fly so it's not like I need to risk this in the wind.

Off to search threads to see if anyone has put a keychain camera on a Night Vapor.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
380 Posts
I find my original vapor more relaxing to fly in a 30x30 space. the mini is fun, but more finicky to get trimmed and the cg the way you want it. I can also reliably fly the vapor in a smaller area than the mini without getting stuck in an unintended tail slide.....
speakertoanimals is offline Find More Posts by speakertoanimals
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:32 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
Good choice-I have both and you can't go wrong with either one. The lights on the night vapor are really cool so I'd pick that one if I had to choose.

Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:27 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Go figure! The one day I dont bring my vapor home and its dead calm outside.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:38 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
I have both,
I use the mini vapor for in house flying.

Use the vapor exclusively for outdoor nighttime flying.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
I have both. If you told me I had to give one up it be the mini. I enjoy the night vapor a lot more. I am almost sorry I got the mini.
Hylander is offline Find More Posts by Hylander
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:08 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
While i enjoy the Night Vapor more overall, the mini is twice the fun in your house, in my opinion. So while i would rather part with the mini, theyre both invaluable.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Since I haven't pulled any triggers yet I might get both. I am going to pick up a DX-8 and one or both of these. Might be a couple of weeks but I will post up what I end up with. Again, thanks for all of the input.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:40 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
Why not a night vapor and something like a polecat? They can use the same batteries.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:19 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,804 Posts
I have both the original vapor(no lights) and the new mini vapor. For large spaces like your shop I prefer the vapor as it's more aerobatic , you can loop it and fly inverted should you want to. The mini vapor is better in my living room because it is smaller , however I have yet to persuade it to loop or fly inverted.

here is a video showing the two aircraft flying in the same space approx 20' x24'

vapors (1 min 25 sec)

Some people found the flying charecteristics of the night vapor were improved by taking the lights off.

I can fly my Vapor for 15 minutes at a time but the mini is limited to 5. I see you have a sukhoi , you can use it's batter on the Night vapor but not the mini.

A dx 8 is way overkill for these two models I fly them on a dx5 or the 4ch rtf transmitter

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden