HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
How then do you prep for solid secondary bonding when joining the wing halves, spars, and other guts?
I was wondering too!

edit: What vacuum do you achieve when your pump is running continuous Adam?
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: see edit.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:49 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,392 Posts
Quote:

How then do you prep for solid secondary bonding when joining the wing halves, spars, and other guts?
Hey Adam, i used to use a strip of peel ply over where the spars will go. This doesnt risk pulling the layup out as much as you aren't pulling from right at the edges. Now I skip it all together and just give the bonding surfaces a sand with some coarse grit paper- seems to work pretty well.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
Quote:
I've never used a regulator is all my years of composites work. I always just used a continuous duty pump. I guess I'm weird that way.
?
Only issue is that the AC vac pump will probably not be rated for continual duty and woul probably burn out.

With a well seals bag you may get away with regulating the vacuum manually (turning the pump on and off) but this would lead to significant changes in vacuum over the cure time
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:28 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,392 Posts
I had a leaking mould once so my pump had to run full time till the part cured. Next morning it was way too hot to touch. I dont think it would be very good for it. Mick (auselectric) and I both have the same vacuum switch, it was cheap and makes the whole thing much easier.
http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...er-18-NPT.html
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:05 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,894 Posts
No forward link provided!

Deleted post.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!