144 Posts
check out http://www.acpsales.com/EZ-Vac-System.html
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:27 PM
Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2009
294 Posts
Considering the structure of the stock T-28, your wing doesn't need any exotic construction to be adequate. Perhaps a very small amount beefier if your finished weight is higher than stock.

A few foam ribs and and glass or carbon capped balsa spar would be plenty.
fishfingers is offline Find More Posts by fishfingers
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:29 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Sorry..... I've been testing a new fast curing plastic for pressure casting engines. Also, been looking out for a vacuum bagging system as it seems its the only way to go. Also, been gathering supplies for the wing.
Ace - I just built this setup. You can be up and running with vacuum bagging setup for less than $400.
Or go with the the ACP EZ-vac. I don't have a compressor, and I didn't want to annoy my family and neighbors with the constant running of one, so I went with the EVS setup. Works like a champ. N
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:37 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech;24037279
...............................You can be up and running with vacuum bagging setup for less than $400.
.......................................... N
Well less than that, to say the least. My regulated vacuum system cost me the grand sum of $2! I did already have the vac guage, which would have been another $15 - 20 or so. It is based on a fridge compressor with an auto vac advance diaphragm driven micro switch for regulation. However, I am a seasoned scrounger! There are pictures of mine somewhere on these forums.
I use plain painters drop sheet (single use) for vac bags, and don't bother with fancy skin fittings. I just slide the vinyl hose between the edges and grout around it. The end of the pipe is covered with some peel ply or Taffeta and some paper towel.
Acrylic grout to seal up the bag edges. Tacky Tape is expensive and very difficult to use I find.

The one in the link looks like it would be justified for a commercial set up. However, for occaisional use that we hobbyist require, it's not justified in my opinion. I have been using mine without fault for around 5 years now.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:54 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,277 Posts
Im with Jim. Mine was a little dearer as I got a vacuum switch from Joe Woodworker. Everything else was cheap from the hardware, and I managed to find an old air con compressor (with a mounting frame even!) for about ten bucks off ebay. It took me a while to put it all together but its 100% reliable and makes more than enough vacuum.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:15 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,970 Posts
So I could use a vacuum pump off a compressor? Do you mean like off a fridge? I have a friend who is into servicing AC systems I'll ask him if he can come up with something.

What do you guys use for peel ply and any replacement for tacky tape?
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:20 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,277 Posts
An A/C pump is exactly what you need, you just use the outlet as an inlet, to get your vacuum.
I have used taffeta as peel ply, but propper peel ply works better and is really cheap anyway. Bathroom sealent (no more gaps in Australia) works great to seal bags and seal hoses in. You can also use butyl mastic but its messier. Almost all the stuff you need for actual vac bagging and layups can be found at your local hardware, usually in the paint section.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:39 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,108 Posts
Paper towels work great as a breather.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:32 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,640 Posts
Ace,

There are several threads devoted to building your own home made regulated vac system here on these forums.
Do a search. Let us know if you can't find any, and I'll do what I can.

Pause before you run off and spend a lot of money.

You will likely find pics of mine on one of them.........

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,970 Posts
Just got a text from my friend who may have a 7CFM unit for me in his shop. Cross my fingers.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:46 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,640 Posts
7 cfm?

Quote:
Just got a text from my friend who may have a 7CFM unit for me in his shop. Cross my fingers.
Compressor?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,970 Posts
I believe its a vac pump for sucking vac out of AC systems
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:35 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,640 Posts
Quote:
I believe its a vac pump for sucking vac out of AC systems
That would most likely make a good pump for your system.
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, but you will need some form of regulation to complete the vac supply "system".
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:49 AM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,277 Posts
Oh I forgot, Look up perforated release film- I find it much better than peel ply as it peels off very easily. You can pull your wing skins out of the mould pulling off peel ply- I dont use it any more
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:19 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, but you will need some form of regulation to complete the vac supply "system".
I've never used a regulator is all my years of composites work. I always just used a continuous duty pump. I guess I'm weird that way.

Quote:
Oh I forgot, Look up perforated release film- I find it much better than peel ply as it peels off very easily. You can pull your wing skins out of the mould pulling off peel ply- I dont use it any more
How then do you prep for solid secondary bonding when joining the wing halves, spars, and other guts?
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks