HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:52 AM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
I sort of gave up on CS right after they said I had to weigh the package then force me to do it via emails, took me a while but I found the item I needed on the site and bought it, was only like $.80 for a pack of 10 so what ever.

Also have the Merlin parts coming to, so I'll have plenty of spares to help me aid my rubbish flying haha
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:12 AM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
So hows the build going/how is this little plane doing for everybody?
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Mine is in sick bay atm having a bit of nose reconstruction.

Conditions were gusty yesterday and she slices through rough air quite cleanly. However a large gust on launch caught me napping at the sticks.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jun 01, 2013, 04:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2013
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
Mine is in sick bay atm having a bit of nose reconstruction.

Conditions were gusty yesterday and she slices through rough air quite cleanly. However a large gust on launch caught me napping at the sticks.
Hi Guys,

I am interested in this model, but cannot work out the motor situation.
Looks like the motor should be installed behind the firewall with the shaft passing through? What motor setup are you using?

(lost my mini swift today and looking for a replacement)
GraKez is offline Find More Posts by GraKez
Old Jun 01, 2013, 07:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Yes, the motor should mount behind the firewall like the kinetic/merlin.
However I used a Turnigy 2730 3000Kv blue wonder clone mounted on the outside where it is keeps nice and cool.

This is a very nice little flyer and can be made to fly fast.
Though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have some experience assembling and modifying foam models on account of all the extra work you need to do to get it in the air.
Old Jun 01, 2013, 10:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2013
278 Posts
Maybe this forum will help others build this little glider.

I am looking for a Mini Swift replacement as I lost mine into the local sewage farm!
It went straight into the main poo tank after the 6amp ESC failed at the very worst time I checked the specs and the ESC only delivers 0.8 of an amp to receiver and servos.

Just trying to find the right motor for a newbie that was able to handle the swift with a motor upgrade, I am thinking more than 40watts but no more than 80watts.

I will continue to troll the HK motor web site.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 04:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2013
278 Posts
Well, my kit arrived from the AUS warehouse on Thursday, and we went away for the long weekend. My wife was not impressed when I opened up the kit for "look" while away with friends, but I could not resist.

A bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but I worked out where everything goes now.
Confirmed the room for an inside mounted motor (behind the firewall) is only 26mm at the narrower nose end. Not any viable choice on the HK website to replace the old 24mm diameter recommended.

I will probably make a new firewall further back, so I can fit a forward mounted motor like Brett, but a little closer to the original position for the motor body.

More updates next week.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:51 PM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
274 Posts
Good photos here
Sportssedanman is offline Find More Posts by Sportssedanman
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:44 PM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportssedanman View Post
Good photos here
Different plane.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:33 AM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
274 Posts
Oh, ahhh, yep. Sorry about that.
Sportssedanman is offline Find More Posts by Sportssedanman
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:17 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Mini glider

Hey all.

Just bought one second hand. Been fixing up various elements that don't seem to have been built very well.

The rear elevator assembly in particular. The tail wings have a fair bit of up/down play. I'm guessing that ain't normal. What's yours like?

Came with a 1350kv outrunner, 100w, and a 20amp esc. Modest but should do the trick given the weight. I have a 850mah 2s or 1300mah 3s to use although the 3s is a tight fit.

I too have some 6mm x 1mm carbon fibre rod I plan to stiffen the wings with, as well as some cf tube possibly on the inside of fuse/tail section as it seems to bend easily. Might run the elevator control rod thru it.

Looking forward to completing repairs.
pzanni is offline Find More Posts by pzanni
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:35 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
I have 2 of these.
One 3000kv blue wonder 1000/3s high speed yank 'n' d banker and the other 1700kv blue wonder 500/3s all rounder with rudder.
Both fly really nice and even the speedy glides reasonably well with the heavy battery.

On both I replaced the elevator push rod with heavier gauge wire so nil slop there.
I also fitted bearings (prop collet adapters) to the elevator shaft because there was way too much slop in that area.
The elevator mech is a real PITA to get right but once setup properly you never need to touch it again.

A 1300/3s would be a bit too heavy for this little plane.

3000kv

1700kv
Old Mar 26, 2014, 03:26 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Thanks Brett

Just rebuilding the elevator mech now. The last round piece of ply is missing from the right hand side and the hole for shaft (that holds the tail wings) have been enlarged/chopped away hence the slop.

I've recreated the circular piece from 3mm nylon and am adding 3mm washers to outside of both sides to create tighter fit and again reduce slop.

Where exactly did you use the prop collet? On the threaded bolt inside housing that the push rod connects to? I have a few spare laying about and could do the same.

Thanks very much.

Ps. Your two birds look great!
Last edited by pzanni; Mar 26, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzanni View Post
Where exactly did you use the prop collet?
Same as you did with the washers. They are essentially just 3mm dia washers.
I used 3mm carbon instead of the supplied glass and extended it all the way out to the ends of the tailplane. Watch when gluing the feathers to it with CA as will tend to wick inside the housing and seize everything up. BTDT
Old Mar 26, 2014, 06:43 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Cheers Brett, glad I'm on the right track.

What's your COG LIKE?

Happy flying.

P